Can we please make Public Profile's the default setting?

Overbuff and several statistic resources for the game are more unreliable, and Private Profiles existence can only be excused by the frankly weak “bullying” justification.

We need public profiles being the default for the community. The extreme majority of people don’t care and leave it as is, and data is becoming unreliable. By resetting the settings and making it so that the default is public, people that for some reason don’t want it to be public can get it to be private, and people that don’t care can leave it as is, with no change whatsoever to them, but positive changes for the community and stat sites.

53 Likes

some people make their profiles private because they dont want to be told who to play based off of who they use the most, or have the most hours with.

17 Likes

to OP:

No

Just no

that is all

20 Likes

Then, use the options menu to set it to “private”.

19 Likes

Why is that? “Just no” doesn’t make a point.

17 Likes

The reasons have been stated many, many times in these forums

Example (one of many) I dont need to enable control freaks who want to micromanage my character choice

You claim you “need” this.

No sir, the word is “want” not “need”

24 Likes

Well think about it. If I looked at a player who intentionally had a private profile I would think “what do they have to hide?”

11 Likes

well then you arent thinking about all the possibilities

1 Like

Then set it to “private”. The point of this thread is to make it so the default is “public”. The snowflakes can freely set it to private if they want.

And yes, we need it. We need stats to gauge the balance of the game and provide feedback.

17 Likes

the fact that you have chosen to address others as “snowflakes” proves my point

you are exactly the kind of person who should never has access to this informaiton

35 Likes

It would not matter if they changed it to default now. It would only affect new players. I do not think they would go in and manually change everyone’s current settings.

P.S. It may be set to private by default for legal reasons in certain countries.

4 Likes

Why are you immediately suspicious of your teammates, though? Why can you not just be polite and ask? It’s always possible they just didn’t remember to set their profile to public, and here you are distrusting another player right away. Why do you have to be such a skeptic?

5 Likes

Re-read the OP.
He’s not saying to remove private profiles, just make them all public by default. You can still swap it to private afterwards.

All this changes is that the people who don’t care leave their profiles public so sites can get more reliable data.

5 Likes

No, it doesn’t. Bullying someone for the hero choices is pointless and self-destructive on SR, and people mad about that are just spineless.

4 Likes

yep

its still a big ole No

4 Likes

Didn’t exactly stop people from doing it /shrug

2 Likes

It is not a weak justification. You do not like it, but that doesn’t change the fact that for many, it has worked to reduce the amount of toxicity they get.

It is Private as Default to give the player the “choice to let others see it”, and not “give others access, unless the player chooses to hide it.”

The default private is the safer and practical way.

The ‘Overbuff’ stats argument: The ones that want to use, and therefore the ones that want to improve or watch their progress, will make it public (At least while using the site(s)). This way you are getting the most relevant data, ones that actually care about their stats vs those that don’t and just happened to be searched in the site.

10 Likes

It doesn’t stop, but people who do that will just fall behind.

thanks, but I have a spine - and thanks for proving the point about what sort of person you are yet again

I just dont need folks like you micromanaging me while I am attempting to unwind and have some fun playing a game

11 Likes

I wasn’t thinking about all the possibilities, but this one came to my mind immediately and I think it’s a good reason. Right now if someone has their profile hidden, it could be because they don’t want anyone to see it, or they just didn’t remove it.
If public profiles were the default then those who did hide their profiles would probably be flamed for having it private.

5 Likes