Can someone merge accounts after Overwatch 2 is released?

e.x. take a pc user wanting to merge with their old ps4 account

9 Likes

yes you should be able to. Not sure for how long that will be available though.

4 Likes

Not sure.

There will be one opportunity to merge console accounts, so make sure you double-check which accounts you are merging before you confirm!

As far as I’m aware, they will only be doing 1 merge, which is on the OW2 launch.

1 Like

Where does it say it will be on the OW2 launch?

If you don’t confirm your account merge in-game, you will continue to be served an in-game screen that identifies your accounts and prompts approval to merge. You can check to see which accounts are linked to your battle.net account here: https://account.battle.net/connections/.

Once you approve, we will prepare your accounts to be merged during the release of Overwatch 2.
The 4th line of the post.

2 Likes

It says nowhere that it has to be done before OW2 launches.

11 Likes

No, but it is implied by their wording.
No way of knowing regardless until they actually release it since they’ve been pretty vague on the subject, although I did find this:

1 Like

It is weird to not have a date with a time listed if it is time limited.

4 Likes

They have been pushing for people to complete the merge before the release, so seems fairly likely to me that there won’t be any other merges post-launch.

1 Like

Well that makes sense I guess. It woudl be indeed weird to have all your stats changed when you are already playing OW2.

See I use to have An Xbox, still have the account on my phone with lots of data, I was a 2 star and had a lot of cosmetics/skins, I now use a ps4 and before that I’ve linked them all together, I forgot to merge because I fell asleep, so I’ve used my old pc and I’m hoping to install Overwatch 2 on it when it comes out later on and see if I can still merge both of them this time, as they said you would still need to merge if you forgot but I heard from people before October 4th, that they were able to merge Ps and Xbox from their Pc, so I’m just hoping I can still do that after launch, they were connected before and I’m using my Battle.net account on pc. They did say Overwatch 2 was cross-progression but we’ll see if it is afterwards so idk but fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

I’ll let you know, if you want to know the answer to this question :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The way I understand this is them trying to say you can’t change which accounts you merge after you merge 1 with another so if you have two console accounts and 2 PC accounts you can’t have both console on one pc you have to have one on either and you can’t change them.

I don’t see why accounts won’t be continued to be merged post launch? Why would they just do it once. What would happen to ow2 console players that switch to PC.

One of us is misunderstanding.

2 Likes

Im pretty sure thats a Battlenet thing so you should be able to do it afterwards.

I’ll try asking this question here.

I had merged my ps4 account to get ready for ow2, however, I wont be able to play at this time.

Does anybody know if merged accounts are safe until one gets to play ow2 or is there a time limit on them before i loose the data? I ask because id hate to loose all of my data if i cant play on launch day :persevere:

1 Like

I hope you’re right. There are probably a fair number of players with old console accounts who wouldn’t have been able to log in before OW2 launch because they didn’t own a copy of the original game (e.g. started the account on the console of a friend or family member who did own the game) or don’t have a PS+/XBL Gold/Nintendo subscription anymore. Plus, there will surely be players who decide to come back to the game post-launch who weren’t following these announcements. For example, a player who quit OW because they didn’t enjoy PvP gameplay might not be interested in returning until there is PvE.

8 Likes

theres a part in the faq about changing account mergers that has like a year cooldown…which leads me to believe that there will be ways in future to merge accounts (if they dont already exist)

4 Likes

While I can’t say for sure since I haven’t seen their backend systems, the merging of accounts is probably fairly heavy to run (I/O especially) since it requires changing an obscene number of database entries while also calculating the total of all entries across all the accounts being merged. I doubt it’s a service they’d keep running for very long unless they need to.

I especially suspect they won’t do it in large part due to how they mentioned that the only way to carry over progress from OW1 to OW2 would be connecting their console and battle.net accounts.

Now, I could be completely wrong, which would probably be a good thing in this case. These are just my suspicions based on the information they’ve released so far.

praying that i can merge, just linked my xbox account to my blizziard but this is after the servers have shut down so cant confirm the merging of the accounts

6 Likes

Game just went live, and I was able to initiate the merge process for my PS4 account from my PC account. The account was already linked to my PS4 account, but I forgot to confirm the merge before OW1 went down. It currently says that I’m “in queue” to be merged, and I have to log out and back in when the merge is completed.

6 Likes

How long have you been in the merge queue? im wondering how long im going to have to wait

3 Likes