Can I be banned for using Autohotkey?

My mouse has been double clicking recently. If I’m holding the button down, sometimes it releases for a split second and presses again, or if I click it’ll register as two clicks. This has been bugging me in both my general computer use and when playing games, so I downloaded an AHK script to stop it from happening. It’s worked nicely for desktop use, but I’m afraid to use it in-game because I’ve heard people have been banned for AHK use because the anti-cheat recognizes it as an unfair advantage.

This issue is really killing me, and the fix is godsend. My only issue is the potential of being banned for scripting. This script doesn’t give me any unfair advantage, and just serves to fix a problem with my mouse. Am I okay to do this?

1 Like

Edit: see this post for more information/corrections. Leaving uncorrected post for context regarding the discussion below.

=====================

Hey there da1337Noooob,

While the script you’re using may be innocent, there are a number of scripts for Autohotkey which are not so innocent. Its usage can cause account bans, and we do not overturn such bans because there’s no way for us to tell exactly which of the numerous scripts you’re using when we detect its use. I recommend uninstalling it.

If your mouse is double clicking, that’s usually the sign of a failing mouse button or some conflict with mouse software. If you have any special mouse softwares (Logitech Gaming Software, Corsair Utility Engine, Razer Synapse, etc) try updating them, and if that fails, uninstall them. If even that fails, you’ll want to test on a different mouse, which will probably be the actual fix.

Just to be clear, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you absolutely will be banned if you’re using the program innocently, but it is a risk you should be aware of. I highly recommend troubleshooting the issue as opposed to work arounds like this.

Very, very lazy and unprofesional solution by Blizzard.

So if I use AHK for work purpose or simply have it to change audio output device and have run all the time in the background, you would just ban my account because you THINK that I am cheating just because I have it in the background?

Can you get more lazy?

How is it even possible for a company like Blizzard to not have a solution for this?

But the most ignorant part here is:
We do not overturn such bans because there’s no way for us to tell exactly which of the numerous scripts you’re using when we detect its use. I recommend uninstalling it.”

10 Likes

That’s unfortunate, I’ve already tried pretty much everything short of opening my mouse and resoldering the switches, so I guess I’m gonna have to do that or buy a new mouse.

I really don’t think macros are such a big deal, considering most actions in Overwatch are streamlined to just 1 or 2 button presses anyway. You still have to aim your combos even if you have a script pressing the buttons for you.

Being afraid of macros is a silly idea imo considering most people can already create undesirable macros using gaming mouse software (like LGS or Razer Synapse) that you can’t detect. All this does is hurt people who are scripting for legitimate reasons.

I guess for the time being I have to deal with double clicks (which are especially annoying as a Tracer main), but I think the policy on scripting software like AHK should be looked into again. I don’t know if this suggestion means much but could this be passed on to the dev team?

Hey all,

The previous post was not entirely accurate and there were some places I could have phrased things better. I’m leaving it for posterity and going to link to this post in the initial post for further clarification. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Macros themselves are not the problem, but various scripts that can be run with the program are. The question here is “can I be banned for using AutoHotkey” and the answer remains “Yes.” The behavior you use it for, however, is considered when banning accounts and appealing bans. If you are using it for normal hotkeying where one button creates one basic action you could normally do with a mouse or keyboard, where you fix a click problem, where you’re binding q to your page forward button, whatever, you should be fine.

We’re not aware of any bans which have occurred due to the use of simple macros, but the fact of the matter is that usage of programs like this are going to be at your own risk and your account may be banned if we detect any ‘questionable/unfair’ scripts being run. In general if someone is banned for usage of a program like this, it’s probably because they weren’t using it for simple macros but something else entirely. If that’s the case, a mouse button issue isn’t going to be a sufficient defense. I’m not saying this is what you’re doing by asking this question, but more announcing for anybody else who might see this post as a wholesale endorsement of this software.

In the event that anyone feels the closure of an account is not accurate, you’re always welcome to appeal through customer support and they’ll give it a look, but in most cases we are extremely confident in the initial action we take. It’s not common for something like this to be overturned.

If it were me, I’d still fix or replace the mouse, but I understand sometimes you have to work with what you’ve got. If you’re going to use some kind of macro to work around it, be very careful about what scripts you select with this program.

5 Likes

Sorry for the late response, but thanks!

I’ve ordered another mouse as I’ve wanted to try something new anyway, so until then I’ll just deal with the double clicking. This is appreciated anyway :slight_smile:

This is a bit of an old thread but it seems appropriate to pose my question here. I am physically disabled (I have a deformed right hand with no fingers beyond a deformed thumb) and I play Overwatch on PC with Keyboard and mouse.

My problem is that I cannot lift my mouse to reset my cursor / reticle to the neutral position as I am physically unable to do so, and looking into Quality of Life adjustments to simulate a “mouse lift” (that any non deformed computer user can do without even thinking - not just in gaming applications) I stumbled upon the AutoHotKey software and wrote a script that simulates a mouse lift with a button press and hold.

I have never used the software in game, but am curious if that type of script would be considered a “hack” or “cheat” if I am simply disabling an input with a single button press to get a single action to simulate a common action / use of a peripheral?

2 Likes

Shame blizzard hasn’t replied. Banning a physically disabled person for trying to play would not only look bad, but probably qualify as discrimination.

It sounds like they don’t just check for the programs(AHK) usage, but also still rely on reporting and/or input patterns. Such a pattern (mouse stopping then starting again) should be fine. If you start actually re-positioning the mouse, that may look worse.

1 Like

Well, even with my limited knowledge of programming, I could probably easily make a animation cancel script, or even an aim assist (Stay in red lines). Makes a lot of sense why AHK is banned, it’s not discrimination, its just to protect the integrity of the game.

1 Like

No it isn’t, as it doesn’t. Anyone with a few hours and a brain could do the exact same with a custom program. Banning people for a legitimate use of other software is simply stupid. Once again, probably illegal in the case of accessibility.

1 Like

There is no law anywhere which states all games should be accessible for everyone, no matter their disability. And no, it is not discrimination either.

While there is no burden to make them accessible, go ask a lawyer if denying service in this manner would count. Dogs aren’t allowed in restaurants for obvious reasons. Try to deny a blind man access because of their service dog, and you are breaking the law.

Also, it is Still a crap thing to do regardless. It doesn’t fix anything, doesn’t stop anyone who was already going to do it (they are already breaking the eula by cheating), and only hurts legitimate uses.

Appreciate the feedback, but the discussion of third party software is not appropriate for the forums.

If you would like to provide suggestions on how the game can be updated to be more accessible, please feel free to create a new thread in the General Discussion forums.