Question ctrl+shift mouse bind and potentially being banning

Can someone get banned for having a button on their mouse that presses both control+shift at the same time? It’s not a macro, there are no delays or scripts to it, nothing. It’s just a raw binding that hits both buttons at the same time in the logitech mouse panel.

The reason why I ask is because my left pinky and ring finger have arthritic issues and when I play mercy, I have to hit them both at the same time to do super jumps. The weather has been making those fingers cramp up real badly lately, so I thought about a simple solution to the problem by just binding them both to a mouse button.

Obviously, I don’t want to use it if it’s against the TOS or anything.

1 Like

Using one button to serve as the function for two separate keys is called a shortcut sequence aka macro. Macros aren’t allowed.

You can bind those keys to separate mouse buttons, but not the same one.

It’s not a sequence, it hits both at the same time. Macros usually have delays, which would be in the realm of botting. There’s no repeating, nothing. It just hit’s control+shift together at the same exact same time, once. You can technically make a bind like this in windows itself with extra keys on a keyboard like a volume button.

I’d prefer to hear an actual blue comment on this. No offense to you or anything, but you aren’t a developer and don’t work for Blizzard, you’re just a forum MVP.

1 Like

^This is an example of a macro.

You don’t have to take my word for it since this question has been answered by staff across multiple Blizzard forums. Here’s one example: Can I be banned for using Autohotkey? - #5 by Drakuloth

If you are using it for normal hotkeying where one button creates one basic action you could normally do with a mouse or keyboard, where you fix a click problem, where you’re binding q to your page forward button, whatever, you should be fine.

One button can equal one action.

That post is about Autohotkey, a program highly known for scripting/botting. “The behavior you use it for, however, is considered when banning accounts and appealing bans.”

And like I said, right now, in default windows, with no external programs, I can bind any key to hit control+shift together. How would the game engine ever know?

My game runs at 30fps capped which is 33ms per frame. Your average person can definitely reliably push both buttons together during that 33ms time frame. Game engines usually check for inputs once per frame. I could manually hit control at the 2ms time mark and then hit shift at the 32ms time mark, and to the engine, that would check at the 33ms mark, it would just see that +ctrl and +shift are pressed. It doesn’t know when they were pressed during that 33ms time frame. If there are no signs of scripting/botting, no delays, no complex commands, etc etc, how would Blizzard ever differentiate between a player that has the two buttons glued together vs a player using a hotkey that pushes the same two buttons down?

Let’s say that controller support wasn’t already built into the game(think World of Warcraft, but I guess WoW is now getting native controller support in SL) and people used an external program to bind buttons and axis. If they bind the left joystick to the WASD buttons, by pressing into a diagonal direction, which is ONE action, not two, it would then be pressing W and A at the same time. Or how about the triggers with thresholds on them where a partial pull does X and a full pull does Y. That’s two keybinds bound to one button using a script that changes the output based on an input. So those, by definition, would be bannable.

I’m not saying I’m going to just use it anyways, I respect Blizzard and don’t see a point in getting my account banned over a silly non-cheating keybind. However, I’d really like to hear their exact take on this exact scenario because as far as I know, there is no way they can actually differentiate a driver level input like that without a rootkit level detection system that games like Valorant use.

1 Like

I’d like to know if it’s bannable to test a macro in the practice range, by yourself, without using it in an actual game.

Nope, that’s still bannable. If it’s some kind of fancy macro at all, doesn’t matter because the practice mode is still online. What I’m talking about is just control+shift and nothing else.

1 Like

Logitech’s mouse panel is an external program to Windows/third-party software.

Staff rarely say “this will get you banned” about any exact questions, because it encourages people to work around those restrictions with cheating tactics. But I think Drakuloth’s explanation is pretty clear: You can bind a different key to do one key’s job, not the job of two keys, whether it’s AutoHotKey or whatever else (i.e. mouse software).

Oh it can be stored in the hardware memory of the mouse to where I don’t even have to use the Logitech software for it. Also, you could easily just hardcode in key presses like this control+shift combo into an actual driver, so external software wouldn’t be needed. Pretty sure you can also regedit in keybinds as well, without the need of external software.

This isn’t some shady question to probe out the waters and push the boundaries of macros/scripting. This is a simple keybind question that applies to almost every single gamer that has a gaming mouse of any sort.

1 Like

The information already provided is going to be the answer to your question. Slightly different, yes, but still applies:

In general we won’t discuss if something can get you banned or not and the topic isn’t really appropriate for the tech forums. Closing the topic.

1 Like