Buffing is the very LAST thing Roadhog needsšŸ˜”

Excerpt from Patch Notes (22/04/21):

Roadhog is a hero who has been underperforming lately with not much changing about him since late last year when he had a more dominant presence, though the balance of other heroes has indeed shifted around. Weā€™re partially reverting the reduction to his damage to help bring him back up to a more effective level.

Scrap Gun (Primary and Secondary Fire)

• Damage per projectile increased from 6 to 6.6

HHUUUUUAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHaaahahahahahaha

Seriously now: What a disastrous change, Blizzard! ā€œPapa Jeffā€ leaves, and you already ā€œmess up the houseā€ like that?! I told already why and how Roadhog needs to be nerfed (BRUTALly NERF Roadhog - Read that very carefully, again), NOT buffed. Wow, you do not even try to lie decently now, almost like you gave up balancing altogether.

NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF Roadhog: This is all you need to do, no more than that. Stop complicating things, Blizzard.

37 Likes

And why do you think he needs a nerf? In GM he had a 1.5% pickrate and in OWL he hasnā€™t even been played once so far

Source:

14 Likes

He probably got hook comboā€™d one too many times.

45 Likes

Iā€™m actually supporting nerfs for Hog just because I want to play Monke again.

7 Likes

Not like he would be playable even if they genuinely deleted Hog.

2 Likes

It would deffinatly help? Hog is by far the strongest counter for Winston by far and makes tanking for every other hero just way worse, because hevis the 3rd DPS on the enemy team.

4 Likes

Absolutely, I am just saying that he has more problems than just Hog gate keeping him.

2 Likes

Look I dislike Hog too, but even I agree his viability is a mess.

3 Likes

I love Hog, but have kind of accepted he is a ladder only kind of pick. They will never let him stomp OWL prosā€¦

2 Likes

Not just that, pros do not want to give the enemy ult charge. Which sadly Hog is very good at doing.

4 Likes

If ā€œpick rateā€ is an actual criteria to ā€œā€œbalanceā€ā€ Overwatch, this explains a lot why balancing always fails.
GM (Grandmaster), OWL, competitiveā€¦ these things are cancerous to Overwatch, healthy fun is all that matters! I told Blizzard already to balance Overwatch aiming to please the casual players first and foremost, and the competitive ones that are supposed to get used to it, NOT the other way around. But it insists to disregard me for the sake of fast money.
By the way, I already approached this issue here: You should segregate balance between "Casual" and Competitive", Blizzard - #8 by Darrington-11693

ā€œOne Shot, One Killā€ should be the catchphrase of Roadhog, not Widowmakerā€™s.

5 Likes

Why would you balance around players that donā€™t play properly? The game would be a mess if that happened. Hog is awful, has a trash pickrate in most ranks, and is generally considered the worst tank by far. The fact that people who canā€™t use better tanks can win games with him doesnā€™t mean he needs a nerf. Hell, I hate hog with a passion but still agree with this buff.

5 Likes

Honestly, I think roadhog needs buffs. But not his damage. The real reason why heā€™s not being picked is because he doesnā€™t have a really strong TANK aspect. He has a strong damage aspect, heā€™s just lacking the protection value.

Honestly, buffing his take a breather so that enemies canā€™t get ult charge off him while heā€™s using the ability would be a great start rather than buffing his one shot combo ( which, btw, he should not have, cough cough. )

6 Likes

The issue is thatā€™s part of his identity: heā€™s a tank that doesnā€™t really tank. I think itā€™s stupid and awful, but thatā€™s his identity. He has a dedicated playerbase, and, while basically never used in scrims or organized play, is still fairly popular among his niche. This buff helps improve him, while keeping his niche around. Itā€™s the same with Genji: Genji is awful, and has been for a while (bar a small period of time). With a small rework, he wouldnā€™t suck, but then Genji players would hate it. They LIKE blade being cool, and his play style, even if it leads to him being suboptimal in a lot of cases, and needing a lot more work to get any value out of.

Hmm, buffing his protection (HP) while nerfing his damage could be a decent solution for Roadhog. Still, I cannot stand the huge reach his Grappling Hook has.

2 Likes

Yeah I get that. But the argument could be said for brig as well. I could say that brig deserves to have a strong survivability and have armor like before because it was part of her identity. But that didnā€™t work out because sheā€™s a support. Roadhog at this point is practically a 3rd DPS rather than a tank, which is why heā€™s not working out. Buff him too much and heā€™s overpowered but nerf him too much and heā€™s just nothing.

Itā€™s time that we embrace his tank side rather than giving him high damage and calling it a day.

4 Likes

I donā€™t get itā€¦ Roadhog isnā€™t exactly oppressiveā€¦ or even played outside of Quick Play at this point. Why exactly does he need nerfed, OP?

1 Like

Fun is subjective which is problematic with your argument - youā€™re suggesting to nerf a character that many people enjoy and while I have no proof of this, Iā€™d imagine is the only reason some DPS players actually play tank. Lack of tank players is what a lot of people see as problematic with the game

Just because casual players make up the majority, doesnā€™t mean you should balance around them, there are many casual players who donā€™t care about whats meta or what balance changes a hero got, they just play what they enjoy. Dumpstering heroes because they might be ā€˜unfunā€™ for casual players is far, far more problematic then the current method of balancing around the highest skill level

As Someone who hates playing against Roadhog I think itā€™s funny that ppl are complaining about this small buff. Literally the only difference is he can combo 225hp heroes more consistently now (which I assume was intended for McCree). If anything bad came from this buff itā€™s that itā€™s another slap in the face to Symmetra.

5 Likes

Hog is SO ANNOYING ON LADDER, but they probs wonā€™t nerf him as heā€™s not seen much in OWL.