Brig shouldn't stun Rein

Through his shield that is. It’s certainly not what her shield bash is made for, and it’s an interaction that gives rein very little counter play other than hoping his team punishes her.

“But melee attacks go through shields!”

Ok, but what if we apply a little imagination here? Brig is in many ways a Paladin type character, and her dad is an inventor, so what if her shield bash has an electric charge that delivers the stun? If the shield encounters an opposing shield mid attack the charge shorts out and you only do the 50 melee damage.

This way, were still consistent to how melee attacks work throughout the game and it should still be easy to communicate to the player why the stun didn’t work.

Reins are no longer easily picked on, and Brigs ability to fight Flankers is unchanged.

7 Likes

From all the Brigitte Hate i pick up here, this sounds the most reasonable. Poor Reinhard can do nothing to stop the Stun at all

EDIT:
Unless of course he wants to abandon his team and charge the brigitte down. But afaik, the Bash also stops the charge, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

I actually don’t hate brig at all, I love her type of character, I just wish she wasn’t rewarded for that kind of crazy aggression.

Edit: yeah it knocks them both down when charge hits bash. Not only that but even if you pin brig you are likely trading.

As Rein main, I disagree. Her stun is the only option she has against him, and I muself never have a problem with taking a Brigitte down on Rein.

Either charge and instakill her no matter if she got her ult or not, if you are stunned and interrupted she wasted her CD and is now defenseless, Rein kills her in less then 4 seconds.

There is no point in this change, and would make her worse with no compensation.

12 Likes

That she can I’d say it’s exactly what it’s made for.

It was designed to go through barriers to give Winston more counterplay. If you change Brigitte, or dashes in general, he goes back to being too much.

If you just buffed Reinhardt so that he was immune to dash attacks while his shield is up, you solve the Reinhardt problem without affecting everyone else.

2 Likes

If Rein and Brig charge each other, they are both knocked down.

In a one on one environment sure, he kills her easily. In a team environment charge is usually a really bad idea.

And if they charge each other than they’re both defenseless and the gigantic tank is more likely to be severely punished when their both on the ground.

Honestly, a lot of the time reins only play is to back up and hope that when the bash hits his team can preserve him.

That’s exactly what i mean. Rhein has to keep his shield up as an active ability. He can’t attack while it is up, compared to winston who just grills you while.

Maybe as a rule of thumb “Active Shield’s can’t be stun-bashed” That would apply in Brigitte vs Brigitte and Rhein vs. Brigitte then. If you ask me, sounds fair, would give some counter to brigitte

The issue with just buffing rein like that is that it seems a bit arbitrary and difficult to communicate to any player who’s not reading patchnotes.

They would figure it out, the same as every other change added to the game.

And new abilities usually means new art effects.

That is not a concern at all, imo.

Okie. Just don’t let Reinhardt stun Brigitte through her shield either and we gucci. No pins/shatters with her shield up would be worth it.

1 Like

I just don’t see blizzard making any change that arbitrary and random feeling. New passive abilities that only trigger against a small range of moves are difficult to make art for people that actually communicates what’s happening.

Personally I’d take that tradeoff, but I suspect blizzard would not.

Winston’s is an ability as well. I also think it would weaken the matchup of Doom vs Brig, in Brig’s favor. I don’t think that’s at all desirable.

Just change Reinhardt.

In another game I play, CC resistance is simply conveyed with a glow around the feet.

They could just make the bottom of his boots glow if he’s got some kind of resistance. They could just make it stun resistance while he has shield up.

Brigitte being the only hero whose dash doesn’t work like every other dash is far more arbitrary.

1 Like

to clarify, i talk about Brigittes Bash that stuns you. Not doomfist nor Mcree or anyone else.

I talk Brigittes Bash shouldn’t Stun characters that have to have a button pressed (and thus can take no other action then walking) to keep their shield up (Rhein and another brigitte)

Hope it’s clear now

Your shield as Rein is removed constantly, due to concentrated fire, due to another Rein charging you, due to Doomfist RP, due to Sombra hacking you. It is a common occurence in the game, I happen to have more than 100 hours on him playing him in Plat to be able to judge that.

I don’t wait for an enemy Rein to get near me and hold my shield up all the time when he in my face, same is true for Doomfist or Brigitte, there is no difference.

And exactly because it is a team environment, you yourself have a team which can bubble you, heal you, nading Brig, pressuring her themselves. A good Rein always tells his team when the shield is going down, and that is what I always try to do.

Especially Rein is one of the best counters to her you can get, as said, I have no trouble dealing with her myself, and on Rein she is easy killable in the ranked team game, I am not talking about other game modes now.

1 Like

Does Rein need an answer to it though? I play him quite a bit and its annoying sure but I think it creates a teamplay dynamic that is kind if nice.

Brig v Rein is very telegraphed in what the Brig wants to do, and if Rein gets the team support he needs while the Brig is presumably going on the offensive it should be an easy punish. It may not happen on ladder due to the chaotic nature but overall I dont think its a bad thing.

Rocket punch and charge would end up the same because shield bash is the same type of ability. This is why they all cancel each other out as well.

Just like Rein and Brigitte’s shields function the same.

So if shields were changed so the stuns from dashes couldn’t go through, Rocket Punch vs Brig would end up the same as Shield Bash vs Reinhardt.

1 Like

I am not going to repeat myself. Please consider my argument as i write it, not as you think i meant it. The change should be made direct to brigitte, on what is affected by her bash and what not