Blizzards naming restrictions?

I went to rename one of my accounts to ‘Pika’ earlier this week but they stopped me from making it due to it ‘going against their naming rules’

I wanted to name it in honour of my dog who passed away to cancer. Her name was Mikeeta (nicknamed Kita). However one day my mom accidentally jumbled her words while drinking wine and called her Pika instead of Kita. Since then we called her that as a nickname. Pikapika/pika/pikapuff (the list goes on).

‘Pika’ however goes against Blizzards naming rules??. I wondered if it were an issue with it sounding like pikachus signature sound and was protected? Otherwise Pika is just the name of a small rodent that kind of looks like a mouse found in NA and Asia (they’re rly cute).
In Japanese ‘Pika Pika’ means to ‘sparkle’ too.

Maybe it’s because (according to urban dictionary) ‘Pika’ is a Portuguese word for a mans… lower-bits. And it’s an Icelandic term for a lady’s lower-bits.

Yet I don’t get why I can’t use it anyway? The word has multiple meanings and the majority are positive/innocent.

I could just change the spelling a little but Peeka isn’t visually appealing. Is there really no way to use this name?

2 Likes

Probably too closely related to the pronunciation of a patented character. I am not sure if I’m spelling it right, but have you ever heard of the cartoon charater “Pika chu?” It would be breaking game policy to indirectly advertise using the game. Example: What if I picked a name like “eatatjoes”?

Pikachu is Pikachu not Pika. and if they had an issue with people being named after famous characters they should say so in their naming guidelines (which Pika does not violate nor does Pikachu technically).

They really should just be more clear

I remember the character “Pika chu” saying "Pika,Pika as an acknowledgment word when he was trying to communicate. Am I correct?

The reason about the choice of this name was not needed but I am sorry for your loss…

On topic. I wished they made it clear what exactly their name restrictions are. I doubt it has anything tl do woth Pikachu because so many names from rl and fiction are used.

I found 2 matches in pika and pi ka in different langauges and nothing suggests anything offensive…

1 Like

Their guidelines are clear. Even more clear after they ban the name. It is up to you to understand why. You opened this thread to understand the “why”. I am just helping by reasoning with the possibility that the patent on the spelling or pronunciation of ANYTHING related to “Pikachu” is VERY precise. They must have covered EVERYTHING related to the “PIKACHU” cartoon character.

Not offensive, but indirectly advertising a known cartoon character. Blizzard does not want their game used like a bill board to sell stuff.

Once I tried to name myself ABC but couldnt. So I had to choose another nickname just to find an ABC player later. He was my teammate in fact.

The way it works is simple - you install another keyboard layout and put the required letter from other language. While visually it looks the same, system doesnt recognize such stuff. Using the same trick you can even have the F word in your battle tag.

Today’s silly political climate: if you can think of some way to be offended by something by some conditioned emotional knee-jerk response, then people will attempt to restrict it. Sad but true.

People really need better hobbies haha

I really doubt you can have profanity in any battle tag without getting caught. If it is possible then it’s something they may have missed…temporarily. I wouldn’t doubt if someone was grinning that a profanity based battle tag passed ; only to be banned much later. All it takes is some time and some complaints to point out the discrepancy.

Normally when Blizzard finds a bad battletag (due to reporting) they give the player a chance to have a free battletag change. If it happens again, then they take more serious actions but never do they ban them right away (unless it truly is awful and not just cringey to look at)

1 Like

You can do it.
Im saw such this battletags in game.

There is no reward I suppose when finding a unappropriate battle tag. If your the only one who notices it then it’s up to you. Do you like it or not? Do you think it would be a negative display for our younger players?

I haven’t seen or noticed “bad” battle tags in a long time. Maybe word spreads fast that I may have talent “spotting” potentially bad battle tags.

I wouldn’t doubt if some of them blocked me in fear of getting caught.
hahaha :rofl:

Depends.

There is one guy who simply named himself Dick but in Korean language (Not same name but literally same meaning, or more specifically word that used to name a male genitalia), I reported him myself couple times, but he never was banned cause well, thats a legit name apparently.

Some people have that as an actual name irl too though lol

Bizzare, there are several Battle.net accounts with the name Pika.

The only thing I can think of is that they sometimes block the names of streamers and OWL players to avoid impersonations but a quick search for Pika shows only a contenders player which I don’t think they would be blocking if they are in contenders.

I doubt Blizzard would be unhappy about promoting Pokemon a little, they just announced OW on switch.

Well … The name Dick exists in America too. Special emphasis on the name “Dick” may be considered an indirect insult with associated “salty” chat remarks or behavior like “tea bagging”.

Some people have that as an actual name irl too though lol

In KR version Diva has a legit voice line, but the word also used to indicate male genitalia.
So Divas spamming
“Small **** not scary” or “Small **** wow” is very common lol