Blizzard just officially reinforced this for me

Guessing this is the first time you’ve ever participated in an AMA?

1 Like

I was so excited after hearing this.

happy he won’t have to endure dps queue times lol

Wrong. Never did I say I wanted them to bend to the will of the community. It is totally possible to have the community contest where a hero or a skin or even a spray is designed and then maybe upvoted on a subreddit or have something here on the forums for that.

If it's a hero

Just the initial concept could be provided and then the character is balanced by the development team as they would any other hero. They leave some things untouched, while resolving the more troublesome issues. Just as they would any other hero. I’m sure lots of heroes are scrapped, rethought out, redesigned, etc internally, and the same could apply to a community created hero.

If it's a skin or spray

The skin design is created by the community and then if it wins the contest it’s made into actual skin. If any changes need to be made the artist could be contacted or Blizzard could make the changes themselves. Same if it’s a spray

The specifics of such contest or whatever you want to call it could be however Blizzard felt it should be. I just supplied a basic, bare-bones brainstorm of such a thing. As for the legalities, other games have figured it out. I’m sure Blizzard could too.

As for the hero balancing, perhaps they should leave characters who don’t need changing, such as Genji, alone and focus on the problem heroes, such as Symmetra and Bastion.

So, some changes were made because another community members complained about them a while back and that suddenly justifies overbuffing heroes that don’t need it and ignoring heroes who do? Yeah, okay.

Well, I guess we have hit a stalemate here. “Too long to read” but they shouldn’t warn users again posting too long of responses.

Ah, if only there was something that could be done about this. Oh, there is. It’s called proper communication with your customers.

It’s almost like I said something along the lines of “questions such as mine” in my initial post in this thread. I know it was a long read, it wasn’t that long.

Yes, it was. And? AMAs are held to answer community question. Not just the ones that are easy. Torb’s favorite food or Sigma’s feet are not as pressing as oh idk…community relations? People leave the game, you’d think they would be tackling that problem to avoid losing their business.

Look at any AMA on reddit. The majority of questions never get answered. People are citing the joke questions but there were also a lot of serious questions that the developers provided huge, in depth answers to. It took me an hour to just read all of the developer answers. It probably took significantly longer to write them all out.

1 Like

Buddy a lot of changes and experiments are done in-house. A lot of them aren’t official til they decide to unveil it to try it out. They probably aren’t sure enough to state the reworks. There’s a lot of pressure when you finalize something.

Lol, let me make sure you understand just how much “quite a bit” is.

Your question on an Overwatch subreddit AMA was 577 words with 3140 characters.

My previous response to you on this dedicated discussion thread was 179 words with 1021 characters.

My response still isn’t even a third of what you wrote.

No one said that length was associated with quality. There is a time and place for everything, however. Your long personal rants about the devs is not always going to be accepted or appreciated in any and every space, even if you think you’re presenting it in a way that can be easily passed over.

You ever heard of the “this is a Wendy’s” meme?

At the end of the day most of your question was a rant. Even the “Question” section of your comment was still mostly a rant, nevermind the fact that it is surrounded by a ton of unnecessary exposition and you managed to be insulting at the same time.

So before even getting to the actual subject and validity of your question, you still failed to communicate effectively. And before you criticize the length of THIS response of mine, consider whether you actually read it or not.

Because if you’ve made it this far, then clearly I’m doing it right.

2 Likes

Just because they aren’t the changes YOU wanted, doesn’t mean that someone ELSE didn’t ask for them.

You know what I want? I want them to make Hog a tank that people don’t report me for playing. I want Mei to be viable in my rank again.

You know when I expect them to get on that?
I don’t. because there are literally thousands of other people asking for different things. Like making Genji not stupidly dominant (which they just did) or making Paris less “crappy” which they already said they’re working on.

You are throwing a tantrum and trying to “out” them because they haven’t done what YOU want.

Midday, you seem like the kind of person who dwells on the symptoms and doesn’t care about the core problem.

Questions that affect the actual game are what matter, and them interacting with their community via a Q&A immediately diminishes your point of:

It should be obvious why.

Gonna be bold here and say that you are the problem.

I kinda got the impression that they really only interact with the reddit and discord now, and the forums(or streaming sites) are “group think” echo chamber as they alluded to in multiple answers

and they really only use forums for bug reports. I mean they did say “we listen to all feedback” but it doesn’t feel like it around here.

Can’t remember the last time we even had an interaction besides the occasional PTR/experimental announcement

That… doesn’t mean they respond to all of it.

1 Like

so basically this post is just clout.

you asked a question, refused to share it, and then call it irrelevant despite nobody really knowing what you’re talking about.

Of course, I vastly disagree here but let’s just agree to disagree with that bold accusation.

The core problem I was trying to highlight is community relations. Perhaps I failed to realize that some issues have been touched up on but let’s look at one recent issue that was for the most part a failure. Genji’s buffs.

Genji has been a character that has always received more attention than he needed. The adjustments to his stats are proof of this. Up the wrong numbers and poof…you have a broken character. Now, why even visit a character that doesn’t need it? Bastion and Symmetra, to name two, are two characters that are very niche and aren’t effective in a vast majority of games. So much so that content creators have created rework idea videos in hopes of coming up with a better way. Bastion is an immobile hero that is struggling to exist in a world of mobility.

So because you wrote a lengthy post, it’s perfectly fine. But my length post that addressed more was not. I disagree here, but let’s agree to disagree here.

Oh because everybody was asking for broken Genji. I’d personally love to see heroes that have been struggling to keep up get the attention, instead of Genji.

As for the tantrum bit. You can call it a tantrum if you want, doesn’t make it true though. I have a feeling it’s been a while since you have seen an actual tantrum, this ain’t it chief. Opposing viewpoints other than your own doesn’t make it tantrum.

Exactly, people are so quick to be like “yeah, blizzard communicates” but in reality not well enough. Additionally, clearly they don’t listen to all feedback because if that were true this post wouldn’t exist.

As stated above, I was hesistant at first because I didn’t want to be falsely accused of fishing for likes on the reddit post. And, I didn’t think it was needed. I mentioned problems with community relations. That should have been a blatant hint that perhaps my question was within the same topic. :man_shrugging:

They made Genji more powerful because THEY want him in OWL, he’s a spectacle and popular hero. Then the community responded : “That is too much” and hey look… he’s being dialed back.

The tantrum isn’t you disagreeing with me. it’s making a thread trying to call them out for something they are not guilty of.

1 Like

Why do people play the lottery if they don’t expect to win? It’s just that hope that maybe they would respond to your post. There is no guarantee and you should have known that. The vast majority knows and understands that

1 Like

Part of effective communication is understanding your audience and environment. Again, there’s a time and place for everything, nevermind your comment being three to four times as long as anything I’ve written here with most of it being more rant than question.

Your comment at the time of my writing this response is sitting at negative votes on reddit. You blame the devs for not responding, but it seems the community didn’t exactly care for your question either.

1 Like

Again, the post was created in hopes of understanding why my question wasn’t addressed. Plain and simple.

And what followed is me just commenting on comments made by you all. This thread has honestly gained more attention than I figured it would. Normally I get like 2-3 comments and that’s it. So naturally I assumed the same would happen. At any rate though, this is a discussion. But if you want to see it as a tantrum, by all means.

Honestly, that is fine. I care not for reddit points or karma or whatever. I hardly use the site. And, for 4 hours my post has 0 points, which meant I only received 1 dislike, if I understand reddit correctly.

The other two dislikes, came AFTER I posted here. Again, I do not care about the dislikes. If the post reaches -50, -100, -10,000, nothing would change. Perhaps it would get deleted at that point, but the AMA is done. My post is irrelevant now…and so are the dislikes.

Not everyone has to agree with me. All I cared about was a response from Blizzard regarding the issue. That didn’t happen, I came here to try to understand why. If that is such a bad thing, fine so be it.

The internet is dark and full of terrors, I suppose.

But it was. as 2 people pointed out. AND it falsely assumes they are not listening with loaded language.

So now that we’ve established that they ARE listening AND implementing feedback from the playerbase/forums… what is your problem?

I wouldn’t have answered your question either. Not because it points out an alleged flaw but simply because of who you are as a person

Jesus, you weren’t kidding. I went back after seeing your post, and I couldn’t even be bothered to finish reading it.

“Why didn’t Blizzard answer my rambling salty ranting novel that is mostly me just flexing my clear mental superiority, full grasp of the game, and perfect understanding of how to make it perfect?

You should have immediately recognized my brilliance and stopped your lighthearted rapid-fire publicity AMA, and focused all your attention from now on to implementing the solution to my grievances!”

1 Like

Ah, hello MelonPicante. I hardly believe you have any idea of who I am as a person based off of one post. I spoke my mind, plain and simple. I even said I was being blunt…in the actual question. Bluntness is often confused with disrespect, I guess.

Nothing, my original question on this post has, for better or for worse, been answered. I can’t make people stop commenting here, and I’m not going to just not respond. So, as long as replies are being made…I’ll be here.

Lol, okay. Not the intention, but keep grasping for straws I guess.