Blizzard is not doing enough to stop Smurfs

Every single time I play, I encounter a level 25-35 account playing on a high-skill cap hero who single-handedly dominating our team.

This is ruining the game.

12 Likes

smurfing is a fine line…

technically anything that “gives you and advantage” over other players is against ToS and smurfing can definitely fall in that category if you’re a master main and your smurf is silver.

BUT Blizzard likes money and smurfs make them money so nothing will be done probably

13 Likes

They say the matchmaker quickly matches them with their own skill types. But it sucks to be roflstomped by a “level 5” who is getting headshots right and left. V:

4 Likes

This guy gets it.

Flanders Sucks.

big daddy kaplain already said that smurfs don’t violate terms of service.

2 Likes

Smurfs are legal to have.

As long as you are not boosting them.

The idea I like best is to allow a Smurf to connect their alternate account to their main account, so it can:

• instantly gain access to competitive
  • share gold and skins
1 Like

Honestly, they can tell when someone is using the same credit card and ip address to perma ban them.
Use the same technology and:
A) match smurfs with smurfs only
B) automatically start the smurf account at the old account level and let it rise or fall by skill

Alternate accounts don’t breach ToS.
Smurfing does.

If they’re deliberately playing in a lower rank its smurfing, if they’re still playing to the best of their abilities its an alt account.

Stop trolling on the forums with your low quality post please.

I don’t mind because there’s people who are at lvl 1000 on their main and still trash. I do think blizzard needs to do a lock down on smurfs because it’s technically “cheating” just not by their rules. You’re a lvl 25 on your smurf. It’s quite obvious that you’re better than that. And then most people try to bypass the system by going in a higher comp rank instead of climbing on their main because they’re lazy. You’re ruining the gaming experience. Why would you even want to be a lower level after all that work? People who disagree that smurfs are bad tend to be a smurf themselves and enjoy getting elims on low level players to boost their ego. You do not look good bragging about destroying new players.

1 Like

Leavers and smurfs really ruin it for everybody else. I had two Comp placement matches lost because I had a leaver on my team. And, there are those matches when one opponent repeatedly kills my whole team. Is it really that fun for them? Cause some Grandmaster doing that to Bronze players is just gross.

Honestly, I just want one golden gun, I am at 955 points out of 3000. With a smurf in play in most Bronze matches, it’s more or less a matter of whether the smurf or leaver is on my team or theirs. A pretty sad way to play Comp all the time.

1 Like

How unfortunate for you.
Meanwhile i am forced to play on whatever smurf account because community abuses the reporting system.
Also, while i haven’t hopped into competitive with this particular account, it’s done an alright job placing me close to my actual skill tier…most of the time.

It only ruins the game when people don’t play properly. A high skill player won’t be matched with new players for very long.
On average i’d say it took about 20 qp sessions before matchmaking got itself together across all of my accounts…aside from my main which is weird.

There is nothing they can do.

• Blizzard cannot tell the difference between a smurf and someone who moved from Console with PC gaming experience.

• Blizzard cannot tell the difference between one person who owns multiple accounts and a family that shares a computer that has multiple people playing Overwatch.

• Even if Blizzard bans by IP a VPC bypasses that and banning IP addresses would punish innocent players who use public WiFi like at a Dorm Room.

• Even if Blizzard banned hardware Overwatch runs on some of the cheapest laptops on the market. I can go into Best Buy and buy a laptop for $300 that plays Overwatch. That’s chump change for lots people and not to mention tons of people have spare computers (I have a 2012 Alienware laptop just chilling in my closet for example).

There is no stopping the smurf problem. Blizzard can literally do nothing about it. Not without wasting time, money, and potentially punishing innocent players.

You should just play with people your own skill level and leave the low-skilled players to their already-uphill battle of getting out of Bronze and into Silver or Gold. To you like 1500 comp point might nto be much, but for people like me it takes months of effort, and people like you make it even worse and it’s completely unnecessary.

I can’t defeat you in a Comp match. That doesn’t make what you’re doing any less ridiculous and unfair.

This was a interview with the main mod honcho I sense a great disturbance in the force
When asked about how players should go about reporting smurfs, Kaplan responded that smurfing isn’t explicitly against the game’s rules. Throwing matches or boosting are both punishable offenses, but players are allowed to make new accounts. So long as they are playing as they normally would and not committing either of the aforementioned offences, they’re not actually breaking the rules and the game’s ranking system should naturally move them towards their “real” rank.

Regarding throwing and boosting, Kaplan also revealed that Blizzard isn’t relying on reports to tackle those issues, with a whole team working on analysis to identify such players.

Smurfing is when a higher-skilled player creates a secondary account for the purpose of playing against lower-ranked opponents. Boosting, on the other hand, is the practice of ranking up another player’s account, usually for profit, which is often done by having the higher-skilled booster log into the account of the player being boosted to play and quickly progress due to the disparity in skill between the rank of the account and the player then using it.

Fortunately for fans hoping to hear more from Kaplan, he also revealed that the latest Developer Update has been recorded and is scheduled to be released next week

Everyone, Game Director Jeff Kaplan has addressed the alledged “smurfing” issue yesterday:

He also followed up stating that we should not worry about reporting any players boosting accounts either.

1 Like

If they are solo queue and not throwing then there isn’t anything you can do. The person will soon clime out of your bracket and be gone.

If they are grouped with someone then you can report them for possible boosting. Let Blizzard look at it and investigate from there.

That’s nice and all. Where did i mention i was actively stomping lower tier players in competitive? I don’t do competitive on most of my accounts. And this is mostly a myth for lower skill players, mmr catches us fairly quickly. Furthermore, i don’t do it out of pleasure as i said earlier. Community loves to abuse the reporting system, as a result my main account is suspended for a while. Support has been less than understanding with my issues. So there you go. 4.2k D.va with 6 accounts.

That looks like you admitting it, to me.