Blizzard, about mercy

That feel man. I started Overwatch as a tank main, and, because I knew how to peel, ended up collecting Mercy mains. I had at least seventy friends who mained Mercy. Of those, probably a bit more than half have quit entirely, and four of the remaining players still main Mercy.

It’s just sad how Blizzard has treated this section of its playerbase. And that’s really what it’s about. It’s not just the poor state of the hero, but the fact that Blizzard threw them under the bus. Why would you stick around and learn a new hero when your experience with your first hero has been so unpleasant?

5 Likes

And it’s a very very very painfully true meme lol. That’s why I love unit tests and having a full on test suite and daily build to ensure that everything is working and perform automatic regression checks.

So amen to that.

BUT ON THE FLIP SIDE: MERCY NEEDS BUFFS/A REWORK. She is in such a painful position :frowning: I really want Mercy to be reverted or reworked!

3 Likes

Can we just get rid of Valkyrie and rework Mercy again? With or without mass Res?

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽 :shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

5 Likes

I actually understand your point, and get where you’re coming from, so Ill devils advocate:
Why play a healer if healing doesn’t work?
(“Why support, if even a skilled/balanced support can’t carry your team to victory?”)
Blizzard are playing a bit of a dangerous game with the Mercy nerfs. If the end outcome is that the Mercy players quit rather than change, sure, some one tricks are gone, so long scrubs, right?

But, and this is just a what-if without supporting data,
if they were doing heavy lifting on the support side of things, their absence will really change the game.

We know its fustrating. Ignore all the hate you’ll get for this thread. However i have some issues with your thoughts in this post.

This is completely unnecessary, 60hp/s was more than sufficient healing for mercy. Allowed her to heal the target she was focusing on little to no issue.

Refer to titanium’s forum post. That’s literally the only solution to these two issues.

Entirely unnecessary.

I understand your frustration. But keep in mind balancing is a major issue here, given the things you’ve suggested mercy would be overtuned and become a must pick again. A revert to pre-invun mass res would be more than sufficient.

To any DPS or Tank mains attempting to call mass res mercy OP I’ll just let you review the statistics yourself.

2 Likes

There is no lack of support players. Support works, because supporting isn’t just healing. You support your team by zoning the enemy push with an offensive nade. You support people by discording a Genji so he’s hesitant to dive in. You support people by booping and displacing away a diving Monkey.

Healing is not the only form of supporting. Since Ana has been relevant, I’ve been seeing more DPS players willing to play her if there’s lack of healers. Are there less Mercy players? Yes, definitely. ONE TRICK Mercy’s. My female friend (gender doesn’t usually matter to me, but in this case it does) who usually only plays Mercy has been more willing to play Lucio now, since he’s actually very viable now and a great partner for Ana who I do play alot now.

Saying that not “fixing” Mercy will cut off a majority of the player base is reaching; I still see alot of old Mercy mains adapting and trying other heroes, and actually play her on occasions where she’s great at. And yes those situations exist, you just have to actually think now instead of hard locking that button like people used to do.

Let’s be honest, at any given time there’s always heroes that are VERY UNFUN to play. Tracer and Soldier feels quite terrible since Briggitte is a thing, Ana has been terrible for a whole year, and only gaining popularity right now due to Mercy’s fall, yet Doom Fist still exist to make less than capable Ana players’ experience still a nightmare to play,

Meta changes, and you have to adapt. Because it’s always gonna change. Tracer was deemed too powerful yet now she has almost no presence against tanky comps. If you’re not willing to adapt, you’re gonna get left behind. It’s that simple.

I want to agree with you, but I don’t accept your premise that this game has more tanks and supports than is optimal.

Edit: Sure. One tricks don’t asset their team like a flex does. But its a fact. I bought this game SPECIFICALLY because I wanted to play Mercy 1.0 (because I dreamed of using the kit for DPS purposes, but thats because I’m an edgelord).
In MY position, killing Mercy kills my fundamental attachment to the game.

New Lucio, for instance, plays like a dream. I switched his jump to R2, and I can fly through the rooftops like an unkillable wall riding god (unlike Mercy), killin sukkas with his gun (‘it does a suprising amount of damage’).

It DOESN’T MATTER, because my loyalty is to my preferred character.
The plural of anecdote is not evidence, but I can’t be the only one that virtually stopped playing after 14 nerfs to my main (and my off mains all got reworked too. Sigh.)

2 Likes

There’s a major issue with your statement, your making it seem that the mercy onetricks are willingly learning/playing other heroes, the main reason they’re flexing to other heroes is because their favourite hero is no longer viable or fun to play to them. That’s the main issue when you think about it. The major flaw with this game is that its based around the meta roster, one season its dive, next its quad tank, next its deathball, next its grav dragon. It’s the inherent issue with the game design forcing heroes to not be viable. Therefore making them unplayable and the mains of said heroes unable to have fun and play their desired hero.

2 Likes

I ‘learned’ her when she was god status because not playing her was basically putting your team in a huge disadvantage. Did I enjoy it? I did, even though she definitely isn’t something I’d really wan’t to dedicate my time into. I still put more than 30 hours in competitive on her.

Now Ana and Lucio are viable and now I’m enjoying playing them way more. And I STILL can swap to Mercy in situations she’s great at; high ground heavy maps, mobility focused comps, etc.

Don’t limit yourself and use that as an excuse to be unable to play. No one’s forcing you to play a certain hero.

1 Like

You should watch the video that i linked. It’ll enlighten you a lot. Ana and lucio were viable for a long time. Lucio was a must pick for the first few seasons of competitive. Zen had issues but nobody complained about him. Watch the video and you’ll be surprised.

I’ve watched that. And here’s a short answer; I don’t agree with the video and the poster’s opinion. She has very little knowledge of the support cast in general. I’ve seen terrible Ana primary spamming at butt range gameplay. Not accountable.

1 Like

Then your own research for the statistics of previous pickrates, even overbuff just proves her video statistics. that’s accountable.

1 Like

Overbuff proves what? That Mercy OTP’s hide their profiles?

I look at pro level scene where Mercy is still a very viable pick.

Also btw. Tracer is right below Mercy in terms of WR. And 4 other heroes. Maybe they TOO do need attention?

ALSO btw. Ana and Lucio had WR’s of as low as 45-46%, something that is never said when Mercy evangelists talk about ‘statistics’. For a whole dang year. 49% is bad, but not THAT bad. She needs a slight push, and so do other heroes. Even ana also has 49% WR currently with double Mercy’s pick rate. Like it or not, the assumption that Mercy is utterly broken and garbage tier is just that, an assumption, not a fact.

It says “please read!”

Dude this is way too strong. -A mercy player

Mercy not being enjoyable to a lot of players is an issue. It doesnt matter if their opinion is justified. Logic isnt something humans are good at
Altough the forum is less than a 1% of the actual playerbase you can clearly see that a lot of people dont enjoy the current Mercy. Its causing a lot of pointless discussions, e.g. this one and makes the community unhappy in general

Im a Lucio/Mercy Main. I peaked Diamond, Master and GM as Lucio (onetrick). I should be happy that the sweet little frog is finally an accepted pick again but Mercys state since her rework kinda kills my intrested in this game, therefore I lost >1.000 SR

Mercy is by far the most popular hero in the game, they should make sure that shes statisfying to play. Viability doesnt necessarily mean that a pick is also enjoying. Its a game after all

2 Likes

There are 5 other heores having a worse time than Mercy. Please look at them too. Are they not relevant because they’re not ‘popular’? Fine, delete those heroes then.

1 Like

Ever heard of the card-stacking fallacy? Just because she has a lot of nerfs does not mean that she needs buffs. Those nerfs were needed to get her in line with the other healers. While I agree she needs a small healing output boost, I HEAVILY disagree with your logic.

I also never mentioned anything about not touching other heroes. Im all for a Bastion rework btw

1 Like

Nope nope nope nope as a mercy main myself I completely disagree with your suggestions in buffing her. These are just gonna make her opaf again