Being punished for natural disconnects is unreasonable and can be worked around

Ah I stand corrected. I assumed it waited till you were back on the servers till it handed the punishment. For efficiency sake.

But Anti-cheat technology ALREADY DOES THIS. And is any online multiplayer banned in said countries? No. Almost most, if not all, Anti-cheat mechanisms look at installed programs, which is in a log, or is CONSTANTLY looking at frame buffer, and what is stored in ram. Any log about connectivity, is gonna be in ram, and the clients I know for a FACT look at those logs to determine if you’ve lost connectivity. Because those logs are always active in ram.

For TECH savvy people. I would wager that 99 percent of the people who play overwatch ARE NOT tech savvy.

Most just play games.

Put it in the Eula, done.

Also, log files for the OS ARE NOT private files legally in the US. Private files are files created by the user, NOT the OS, and NEVER SHOULD BE. Otherwise, there’s no point in developing computer programs ever.

People pay plenty of money for hacks and boosts. Wouldn’t be long before someone sells tools to exploit this loophole. Some would probably settle for the ad revenue from a few clickbaity youtube videos. You underestimate how awful people are.

those files are logging the user’s activities and therefor are an extension of what they’re doing. it would be like putting a tracker on somebodies car and saying you’re only going to use it when they’re driving to target, promise.

No, they’re logging the state of the machine for debugging purposes. The user, NEVER initiates these logs. Therefore there is no legal way to say these logs are private. And again, never should be.

The common way of anti-cheat programs to work, is that they take a snap-shot of the hash values on your computer, scrambles it and sends it to the server to compare with a snap-shot of computers running known cheat programs. This way they’re not sending any locally stored information. This is also why programs such as Warden needs constantly updating, the cheat makers change their programs to change the hash value.

This is how they get around the legal issue of looking at someone’s computer. If they start looking into local files and RAM memory, they’re going to get a whole lot of heat.

The tech savvy would make a program, the rest would just use it. A lot of cheaters aren’t tech savvy as per say, they just download a program and make use of it.

It does happen, especially when there’s an option to adjust the verbosity.

There’s no legal way to say that any locally stored content isn’t private by default. Like I have no way of accessing those logs on your machine, or any legal grounds to demand that right.

1 Like

Regardless of your personal opinion and however you want to sugar coat it, it is still private information on your personal computer. This is information that’s stored on your hard drive.

Nobody is given access to that by default, and everything needs permission to access it or risk legal action.

you said it better than i could.

All any company has to say is that those log files are for developers, and are free rein. Also, put it in the Eula. And honestly, I’m sure any court would approve said proviso in a Eula anyway. Also, Microsoft has already put in their license agreements which you have to agree to to use said windows software that they have the right or any of their partners have the right to use system files anyway. You don’t OWN windows. You’re in effect LEASING IT.

Personal files, and system files are totally different in the eyes of the law.

But that’s just it. By your logic, because people are still aimbotting, and getting away with it, we shouldn’t have bot detection in place. It’s the same for any control anywhere.

• People still speed and get away with it, so we shouldn’t check for speeders.
  • People still steal and get away with it, we shouldn’t have security cameras.

The list goes on for anything. Yes, people will exploit it, however that does not mean the methods shouldn’t be there.

Also by your logic, a program that creates a file shouldn’t be able to access its own file because you deem it private once it’s created. This doesn’t make sense. Public files are public and there to be accessed by other programs. Now if it goes into, for instance, personal folders that aren’t public and provided by the OS and starts reading THOSE, then we have an issue.

However in this case, it would be looking for a specific set of files that would be in a specific area in most OSs. Hell, a player agrees to have their data usage and programs endlessly scanned whenever they boot OW. How do you think anti-cheat works?

What about the people that aren’t just you. What about the other millions of players that play Overwatch. What about when Overwatch crashes? Are we supposed to blame ourselves too when it crashes of its own accord? And before you say “I haven’t” again, lets take the entire community into account.

If it’s that easy and you are an experienced coder, can’t you just whip up a little application that proves your point? All it has to do is distinguish between resetting the router, unplugging a cable and a genuine disconnection. How hard can it be. Right?

Wow dude really going to be like that huh?

[Moderator Edit: Don’t misquote people and add lines, that’s not even remotely cool or funny.]

Then blame them for unstable servers, litterally the majority of my dc’s that weren’t because the router got messed with were ALL IN COMP GAMES

it was a known issue for the longest time that OW would just refuse to accept you in comp and you would be kicked for no reason and not only was it not your fault, not only was it their fault, but YOU were punished for THEIR stupidity.

It’s not as common as it used to be but it lasted a good 2 years, TWO FULL YEARS, please explain how crappy servers is the players fault and not the blizzard.