Battle net launcher won't open

battlenet shut down earlier to update and now it won’t open

I’m having the same problem too.

Howdy!

Try restarting the computer. When you go to run the Blizzard app right click and select: Run As Administrator. See if it will open, if not try the following steps:

If the issue continues try reinstalling the Blizzard app. Please make sure to follow all the steps in the uninstall article it’s important step 5 is completed.

Thank you.

2 Likes

reinstalling it worked thanks

1 Like

tried reinstalling and it still didn’t work

Papes did you try the other workarounds I listed above?

yes ive tried multiple times and literally nothing has worked and its almost been a whole week

Papes,

If you’ve tried everything posted here already, we’ll probably need information from you that we don’t usually collect over the forums. Try contacting support so they can get you taken care of ASAP.

ive tried contacting support multiple times |:

I’m not seeing any recent tickets from you in the US region. Are you getting error messages when trying to submit reports? Have you tried a different browser or clearing your cache/cookies?

everytime ive tried to contact them ive gotten an error message

papes,

It’s very possible that the problem you’re having with our site is related to the problem you’re having with the application. I need a bit of information from you to try to sort this out:

1. What browsers have you tried contacting support from?
  2. What error message do you get when you try to submit a ticket? (Copy the text and paste it here.)
  3. Do you get an error code when your battle.net application doesn’t launch? (Like BLZBNTAGT00000BB8?) If so, what error code or message is there?

1 ive been using google chrome
2 i just got a message saying there was an error
3 blzbntbts0000005d

Papes,

Can you try a different browser for the support ticket? If your browsers sync you’ll want to clear your cache/cookies in the new browser. If you still get an error, attach a blank text file to the ticket instead of the system files. This will help if it’s an upload issue.

If that doesn’t work, let me know.

tried and still getting error messages i just wanna know what the problem with my battle net app is and how to fix it because its been over a week now

Okay,

This is not how we handle this most often, but in your case I think there’s something deeper wrong here. What I need you to do is as follows:

1. Start your Battle.net application and wait for the error message to pop up.
  2. Create a copy of your MSinfo/DXDiag files after the error
  3. Attach these files to an email. Send it using this information:

Email: techinfo@blizzard.com
Subject: Attn: Drakuloth - papes battle.net error

Got your email. I’m pretty sure I see the problems.

The first thing is an old program called WebCompanion by Lavasoft. This program messes with your connection protocols and can block battle.net from launching and us from connecting. Try uninstalling Lavasoft WebCompanion and then resetting your computer. I’m not sure this will work based on the next bit, though.

The other thing I see is that you’re using a USB wifi adapter with extremely old drivers. It’s likely it’s having problem handling all these connection instructions. Here’s what I’d like you to try to fix that:

1. Type “Device Manager” into your Windows search bar
  2. Open the Device Manager app and open the Network Adapters node
  3. Right click your USB wifi device and uninstall its drivers
  4. Unplug the device, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in to a different usb port

You can also swap your connection to the 2.4 Ghz band on your router if your router has one of these available. 2.4 GHz Wifi tends to be more stable for shorter distances, where 5.0 GHz is better if you need to be able to connect to your Wifi from farther away. You’ll need to look up your router’s make and model for information on how to enable this and connect.

If this doesn’t work, you should connect via an ethernet cable. I know this is a pain in some houses, but it should fix any problems that the previous steps do not.

If you’re still having problems even on ethernet, create a WinMTR test and post that here. For the “Host” blank (step 3) just use this address:

us.patch.battle.net

I’ll check that out for other isuses.

trying to uninstall the drivers on my usb adapter had made me unable to connect to the wifi and in the certain conditions i am in right now im not able to use an ethernet cable, my brother has the same usb as me and can easily get onto his battle net so idk if that could even be the problem

also sometimes when i go to open the application it says im missing a required dll and to redownload it but when i do it doesnt help it

That is something we’ve seen a lot of lately, and that combined with your MSInfo should hopefully solve this. We’ve gotten a lot of reports of players using Avast/AVG having this problem. Basically, it seems to be putting one of our necessary .dll files in quarantine, preventing us from launching.

What you want to do is temporarily uninstall Avast or AVG.

Once you finish this, you need to do a reinstall of the app. It should launch again after.

If you plug your USB adapter into another USB hub it should reinstall the drivers. If it doesn’t do this automatically, did it come with a setup CD or something like that? You may need to reach out the USB device manufacturer for information on how to force it to reinstall the drivers.