Bastion rework concept (Less Sentry, More Recon)

I think Bastion is a problem in many ways. Unfun to fight a turret, so much damage to deal with. As easy as it can be to deal with in high elo to where hes considered a throw pick and a cheese in low elo, here’s an idea.

What are your opinions on removing the power from his sentry and giving a little of it over to recon. Bastion was classified as a shield buster at his first rework, but never really changed from his original design. He was just as annoying as most people sought him out to be, a nuisance to deal with in sentry. No one had issues with recon though.

How about actually making his sentry a utility. Give 100 ammo instead of 300, ironclad 15% instead of 20%, do less damage, but a damage multiplier against shields and deployables like 1.2x rather than his normal damage. With a damage nerf and a shield damage buff, it would most likely destroy shields .5 seconds faster. This hopefully helps lower elo and in general higher elo about how people find it hard and unfun it is to deal with his sentry.

On that note, his recon will have a slighty small decrease in reload time, and change the health from 150 and armor to 150. His old health was 200 health and 100 armor (Still 300 hp total). This gives his recon some minor survivability and encourages recon play rather than sentry play.

Edit for Recon: An ability for E to compensate for the sentry change power shift. Can recommend either a scout when you press E, you can mark someone for a few seconds to track them, just as Widowmaker venom mine.

My goal is to make his sentry a less common go-to mode and encourage play with his recon. Doing less damage to people in sentry , less ammo, and less resistance makes it easier to deal with if the bastion player just sits still and does nothing else with recon.

I created a little graphic as well. in case people want to see that

https://imgur.com/a/2ZdLnQ5

I would like your opinions on this rework I proposed. Does this give him a better play style that will be easier to fight against and as well give the bastion player more play styles to play around with?

Also anyone who starts to think if recon would be better than soldier, The gun may be better but the mobility, healing without shooting, hitbox size, and especially no rocket for burst, are enough to support bastions recon gun having better stats than soldiers weapon.

2 Likes

He will still be trash if his mobility and transformation speed does not change. Bastion isn’t a hero that can be better just with minor changes. He needs a new ability, and needs to be completely reformulated. Most likely for a tank. Because his huge hitbox is part of the issue that makes him easy target and healing + shield reliant. Two things that are constantly being nerfed because of the power creep, and thats why bastion isn’t playable on most ranks anymore. About the low tiers of play, he can still be cheese and anoying in any way, your concept target making bastion less anoying for these players, but the problem of him being useless for experient players would continue. Reworking him completely to tank would solve both situations at once

YES. and then we can buff the shield tanks into viability again. but there won’t be a meta, because bastion can just shred that shield

1 Like

You cant reaaally give him faster transformations, increasing by 0.3 may be decent enough not be an issue to fight and break animations honestly. He could be made into a tank if they tried to obviously but his idea as a character doesn’t really fit into the tank idea.

1 Like

well, I mean his ult turns himself into a tank in the most literal sense of the word.

1 Like

Yeah, shields seem really bad right now as shields. If we can buff them and give them purpose, then they would be stronger as abilities. But again unless they are giving people problems, bastion would be the pick.

1 Like

Recon needs to offer something unique, or else sentry will be the entirety of his kit.

Yeah i couldnt think of anything without it seeming super oppressive. any ideas for recon?

Bastion is awesome :smiley:
You just need to learn to hit a stationary target when he is in turret form.

1 Like

That’s the point. His idea as a character doesn’t fit in the game anymore. The game needs to be like it is right now. Moderate status on anoying abilities. Less shields, less healing. It’s been asked for years for them to nerf the power creep that was ruining the game. They finally did that and it was sucessful. The game is more balanced than ever. The only loser on this is Bastion, which is a character that dependend too much on that things to be playable. So, he is the one that needs to adaptate. If his idea as a character doesent fit on the game, this idea needs to be completely changed. We can’t have a useless hero just because he is situational and anoying since the release. He need to adpate as the game evolves too

well his name is “recon” so why not make HIM the sonic arrow? so he has wall hacks within maybe 5 meters while in recon mode.

1 Like

Give him an E that marks one singular person for 5 seconds. Maybe a tracer or roadhog that got in the back. i dunno

1 Like

it would make him a good soft counter to sombra.

1 Like

I’ve got one I’m putting in a rework I’ll be posting tomorrow.

New recon exclusive ability: Assault

• While in recon form, Bastion can increase his movement speed by 35% and double his jump height for 5 seconds. 10 second cooldown
1 Like

I agree! i love bastion and hes so useless in higher ranks where you just have to shoot him since hes standing still. I am a bastion player who hopes to make him fun for everyone.

3 Likes

Shields can’t be “buffed to viability” again. They are viable right now, and balanced. The skill set of tanks was increased and they are more fun to play right now. (I’m a main tank). Shields with absurd status broke the game for so long, you just need to learn how play tank, and with tanks properly. Using cover and more game sense than simply abusign of status on an ability. (Oviously, Bastion can’t do this, thats why he is a problem how he is righ now with this stationary playstyle, he doesent fit on the game anymore and needs to be reworked)

'rissa would beg to differ.
but I do agree on sigma/rein/winston to an extent. a few qol on siggy and he’s golden.

1 Like

With my suggestion it kind of gives him the, (i dont need to sit still and hide behind shields most of the time now). gives him a reason to move around

2 Likes

My bastion uses turret mode when it needs to be played. Bastion is quite good in sentry form too. Versus flying targets without a shield he must be in sentry form to avoid being a sitting target. When my Bastion sees a Road Hog… it may be time to switch. :frowning:

also, I saw another idea for the whole unbalance of bastion.
what if the damage of tank was nerfed, but swapped with sentry?
need that burst of damage or a sick rocket jump? blam.
turret still has it’s raw POWER but it’s not able to be used in a pirate ship comp or anything

1 Like