šŸ’” Bastion ISNā€™T being forgotten, heā€™s being ignored

just a heads up im not going to be in game for the most part over the next three days or so. I will be joining my old fleet mates from STO in Anthem to kick some hornets nests up.

Things look bad and might be worse to be honest but im going to take a few days off and change gears so when i return i can have a fresher look on things.

Stay frosty

4 Likes

THANK YOU

For this reminder.

Edit: The Anthem Demo download claims to be a ten hour wait on my connection. -.- Thisā€™ll be fun.

2 Likes

Ten hoursā€¦ and i thought Australian ISP,s were bad.

1 Like

As of this moment itā€™s 4% complete, still a ten hour timer.

continues banging head against wall

(But really, this is amazingā€¦ iā€™m SO hypedā€¦)

1 Like

Catch you in game my friend i use the same handle as in overwatch.

1 Like

I have no idea how any of that works, and iā€™m rather dumb about that stuffā€¦ but iā€™ll try to catch ya in game then~
:sweat_smile:

(Overwatch was my first fps style gameā€¦ of all things.)

Handle/nickname/Ident

For me in pretty much most Games it is ShadowDarter, unless im testing games with Non disclosure agreements then i use another handle to keep things simpler on my end of things.

Handle is what someone would call you on citizen band radio i tend to use that over anything because it is more familiar to be honest,

1 Like

Ahhā€¦ Okay! Iā€™m usually ā€œChibiFoxā€ in most games, but iā€™ll inform you if that changes for Anthem.
(If thatā€™s even possibleā€¦ to change, that is.)

1 Like

Iā€™ve been running the numbers again and 350hp (200 armour 150hp) is just not going to work. IF bastion were to lose Ironclad, the compensation should be +100 Armour on top of his current health. 400HP (200 armoured HP 200 unarmoured HP, aka 400HP200A)

120 damage attacks

350HP(200A) replacing IC is going to be a direct downgrade for all the many many attacks that deal 120-125 damage (Hanzo, Junkrat, Pharah, Sym orbs, Widowmaker). All of these (long range) attacks would frag bastion in only 3 direct hits. 400HP200A would maintain the 4 direct hits from 120-damage attacks to kill under 20% DR ironclad.

70 to 85 damage attacks

What would also be the same? Still 6 non-crit hits to kill from 70-damage per shot (Hanzo Storm arrows, McCreeā€™s primary fire, Torb bolts). Still 5 hits to kill from Asheā€™s primary fire.

Vs Soldier

Current IC Bastion with OLD armour took a Helix rocket + 15 hits to kill
Current IC Bastion with New armour takes a Helix rocket + 14 hits to kill
400HP(200A) and no IC would take a helix rocket + 16 hits to kill.

Bastion would be very slightly better off with 400HP200A

Vs Tracer

Pre armour nerf Tracer could not kill Bastion with a full ā€œmag dumpā€ with 100% crits with Bastion in sentry mode (shooting his blue box) she needed a melee to finish the Bastion off. Armour nerf means she can now miss a lot of hits into the critbox and still frag a sentry Bastion.

400HP(200A) would mean that Tracer would need to land 100% critical hits on Bastion to kill in a single mag dump.

Vs Orisa

pre armour nerf: orisa kills sentry Bastion in 46 hits = 3.83 seconds
post armour nerf: Orisa kills sentry Bastion in 41 hits = 3.41 seconds
Post armour 400HP(200A) Orisa would kill Bastion in 44 hits = 3.66 seconds

So the new armour buff to replace IC wouldnā€™t even completely undo the armour nerf.

Vs Sombra

pre armour nerf: Sombra kills Recon Bastion in 49 hits (if 10% headshots)
post armour nerf: Sombra kills Recon Bastion in 41 hits (if 10% headshots)
If 400HP(200A) Sombra would kill Bastion in 59 hits (if 10% headshots)

pre armour nerf: Sombra kills Recon Bastion in 40 hits (if 20% headshots)
post armour nerf: Sombra kills Recon Bastion in 37 hits (if 20% headshots)
If 400HP(200A) Sombra would kill Bastion in 52 hits (if 20% headshots)

This is a net nerf for Sombra, who I know isnā€™t doing great but she never had much of a problem with Bastion before, needing only 40-49 hits from her 60 round mag with a low crit rate of 10-20%. Against 400HP200A would be far more of a fair fight, a challenge, but not impossible. Itā€™s really hard for a Bastion to avoid more than 60% of a mag dump especially as 10 shots are going to be ā€œfreeā€ as Bastion is locked into his sentry->recon animation.

Vs Roadhog

Under new armour, A roadhog hook followed by a shot that lands only 50% of pellets as headshots and a melee will leave Bastion with less than 100HP so it is far too hard to survive the next close range blast.

The same exact attack against 400HP (200 armour) would leave Bastion at about 150HP after such an attack, still vulnerable but a fighting chance to fight his way out if he damaged the roadhog before being hooked.

Vs Reaper

Short one here.

Against 400HP(200A) If reaper is only hitting with 50% of pellets but 10% of hits are headshots, Reaper would need 7 shots to frag a Bastion, healing 47hp/sec then 72-77hp/sec. It would now actually be possible for Bastion to deal enough damage to reaper to overcome his 250HP and the amount of health he gets from his life-steal before taking enough damage to be fragged first. But Bastion would need to keep his distance, almost to fall off range.

Question: Would this make Bastion a tank now?
Let me answer that with another question, why should we care? The tank/DPS categories have almost no bearing on the game, they are just a rough guide to understanding the different heroes. It doesnā€™t really matter whether Bastion would or wouldnā€™t be considered a tank, the point is that Bastion is just as tough in Sentry mode as before, except now heā€™s doesnā€™t give up so much when switching to Recon mode. He could be put in the tank category with such changes, but arguably he should have been there since 1.8.0 when he got any sort of ironclad as heā€™d be just as tough with 400HP(200 armor) as he is right now in sentry/tank mode.

Iā€™d say Bastion would still be significantly less tanky than even Orisa who is considered unusually weak for a tank with 400HP half being armour, sheā€™s totally dependant on her fortify and shields to be considered sufficiently tanky.

Addressing Orisa Shield ā€œsynergyā€

The synergy seems a lot stronger on paper than in practice. For example, Bastion may be able to see where a shield is but lacks so much information that makes using Orisa shields far harder. All Bastion can see is the shield cracking at 50% and itā€™s hard to distinguish that cracking level from it being at 25% strength. Bastion canā€™t see Orisaā€™s cooldown to tell when another shield will be ready.

The result is Bastion keeps exposing himself in an otherwise far too dangerous position depending on a shield and is disappears without sufficient warning and itā€™s not clear enough when another shield will be put up or where.

This is why I do not automatically jump behind Orisa shields because it gets me killed. And when I am behind her shields itā€™s a very stressful experience unless I know the Orisa I am playing with and we are communicating a lot. The orisa has to have played a lot of Bastion, and Iā€™m usually let down by my inexperience playing Orisa.

3 Likes

on the other game im trying out the planet im on is called ā€œBastionā€ā€¦

OK the irony is large seriously large.

4 Likes

Almost as large as his

HITBOX

3 Likes

Real talk i gotta say i really enjoy Ashe. Especially when im being pocketed by mercy, the ability to one shot is better than running the fragile president strat.

Robot man bad.
pls fix

1 Like

Ashe is a hero im seriously enjoying, the amount of poke damage feels good you can make widows blink hard if they try to camp in one spot.

1 Like

Could it be possible to make Bastion tankier, but at the cost of only being able to repair himself, and be immune to allied healing? (Perhaps signified by a gray health bar)

This would limit the pocketing potential to barriers, and make it so he can only heal or shoot, not both.

I would say the reduced incoming healing is the furthest we can push it.

Being able to only heal himself by himself would creat a selfish scenario which toxic ppl would gladly take and swap to bastion because the whole change was based around bastions independence.

idk if that makes sense ā†‘

• but to give bastion tankyness or more power at the cost of allied healing would be a challange to balance.
1 Like

ok im a Solo Bastion main/flanker, honestly one of Bastions only benefits is that he can solo heal. Bastion is in my personal opinion the best area denial hero in the game you see a team taking a path, fire 15 seconds of rounds at 1800 RPM and make the other team make plans to kill you, when you have already moved on healing to the next kill box to rinse and repeat.

BTW the way i described on how to play bastion is my way of playing bastion. I love using heroes in ways no one expects.

I NEVER EXPECT: to have any healer to help me, though if they can i thank them to no end but all heroes need to be 100% independent and viable. the EXcuse that a hero is niche is a lazy excuse.

well the whole indepedence moment is kind of a fail, because :
phara/roadhog/reaper and several other that bastion counteres, is now, bastion getting countered,ā€¦

my question, is : WHAT DOES BASTION COUNTER ?

1 Like

He is good against Winston and hammond.

2 Likes

What if Bastionā€™s pickrate is low because either his job isnā€™t fun for a lot of people or he is just too hard to play for some people :thinking:

Goat is so fun, i donā€™t know why people would play it everytime than Bastion.