šŸ’” Bastion ISNā€™T being forgotten, heā€™s being ignored

My idea of an ideal interaction between the modes is building on incentive to leave sentry mode to flee in recon rather than feeling the need to stay in sentry to keep the IC and getting swarmed.

Without IC and Bastionā€™s general HP+Armor being high, heā€™s not so much more vulnerable in Recon mode.

Itā€™s recognising the consensus that Bastion is more or less just as likely to be hit in recon mode due to the size of his hitbox and how the general standard of aim has improved in the game. And this is encouraging playstyles people do not like such as turtling down smothered in shields and heals which is boring to win then suddenly youā€™re pounced on and insta-death.

The new reaper and armour changes are going to be devastating for Bastion in recon. Reaper didnā€™t have a particular problem with Bastion before, these changes (like McCreeā€™s fan the hammer) are clearly designed to penalise tanks, but Bastion is being caught in the crossfire. Bastion needs to be buffed in response to these recent changes.

Breakdown of Reaper's effectiveness

Even at longer ranges where Bastion is trying to keep away from Reaper (so retreating from the objective) even if only 50% of pellets hit and only 2 of those pellets are headshots, Reaper will be dealing 48 damage per shot to armour. The armour is gone so fast.

Melted in 2 seconds, factoring Reaperā€™s heal, Bastion would need to deal about 382 damage to Reaper before the Reaper fires the fifth shot after 2.0sec of firing. This requires Bastion have not only 100% accuracy but a very high proportion of headshots. If Bastion had 350HP(200A[rmor]), then at the same range and hit rate, it would still take almost the same number of shot, 6 shots rather than 5, but Bastion has far more of a fighting chance due to effectively lower heals. Bastion needs to deal 388 damage to reaper to beat his heals within 2.5 sec. Bastion would have a fighting chance to land 20 hits out of 20 shots while Reaper can miss with half his pellets.

It's similar with Sombra

After hacking Bastion sheā€™ll wipe out his armour 25% faster. And sheā€™s currently really good against Bastion. If Bastion had 350HP(200A), Sombra could still kill a Bastion in one clip but sheā€™d need almost the whole 60 round capacity rather than just over half of the mag dump. This would mean the spread would be significant again, as it should be. Much more of a fair fight. She should be effective, but not with the odds stacked so much in her favour.

What do you think Bastion should have as a passive?

I really like the idea of a ā€˜detectionā€™ ability, there are a few of these abilities in the game already and I think they are really underappreciated for how important they are.

The developers clearly had an idea of heroes being detected with footsteps, but in practice this hasnā€™t worked out too well. Too many heroes have very very light footsteps.

Itā€™s ironic we have reached a point where weā€™re trying to think of things that penalise teamwork, because whatā€™s so hated about Bastion is his teamwork. But itā€™s a particular type of teamwork, turtling down behind a shield bathed in heals. And the wrong sort of detection ability would just reinforce that sort of teamwork too much. Something that encourages Bastion to fight off further back and separate from the main team would help.

But Bastions donā€™t want to hang back as then they are extremely vulnerable to flankers, particularly sneaking up on them with no warning. Bastion needs a warning even if itā€™s an ambiguous one that could be an ally.

This would also be kinda lore consistent as in that video short The Last Bastion, it showed Bastionā€™s scanners detecting very faint things though he did overreact to a non-threat, it is established in the lore that Bastion should have very good sensing abilities.

Continuous balance alone would do that. Bans wouldnā€™t be something used to stop the meta, they would just become a new factor in the meta.

It wouldnā€™t take long for the meta to become ā€œBan hero X then pick these 6 heroesā€ instead of ā€œPick these 6 heroesā€. One hero would be banned with little variance, with the exception of a few maps. Same as all the metas that we have had before.

I found the old video about that one bug i found (cause honestly i dont think thats the feature chiefā€¦)

This still makes me sad that sombra has the advantage over bastion when in stealth.

She gets to see the ā€œSpottedā€ message even tho bastion cant physically see her, but she triggers the pop up thanks to the massive robot hitbox. I belive it only works in sentry.

Bare in mind she can stay on top of bastion with out him noticing.

Exactly. People seem to think that magically, ā€œbans will fix thingsā€.

Bans never fix any balance issues, and in fact thatā€™s not even their point. They can mask the symptoms, yes. If you got only 2 OP heroes in a MOBA and you got 1 ban each, the teams can remove these two heroes. Could. It just leads to a new meta, because the first team would not ban either of the two strong heroes, the second team can only ban one, then the first team picks and gets the other strong one. So the second team canā€™t ban the second strong hero either (similar in reverse if you swap the order).

Bans would be nifty for pro matches, granted.

But they wouldnā€™t solve anything.

1 Like

Bans will show what heroes are the biggest problem though

1 Like

Wait, does this mean Sombra can sneak right by and even jump on top of Bastion in sentry mode and Bastion wonā€™t see a thing until she de-cloaks?

2 Likes

Iā€™m well aware of how ban systems work. League of legends has a ban system for normal and competitive. Itā€™s designed so you can ban out potential counters to your character pick or something you donā€™t want to see. However, with LoL, there are enough characters that without a ban system some would never see as much play due to meta picks being so dominant (take Viktor, Maokai for example). There is still meta picks, however the variety is more diverse thanks to the fact that one or two are not always pickable by either team.

Overwatch is nowhere near close enough in terms of character range (30 heroes vs 120+ champions) to have a ban system in place, both in pro scene and regular competitive.

As it stands right now, there are not enough heroes for a ban system, let alone banning one hero.

1 Like

Some stupid video on Youtube say Bastion is "meta". LOL.

5 Likes

Pretty much yes, here in video you can see that im confused on where my sombra friend currently is. Because of the small difference between turret and recon hitbox even mercy had to jump to actually spot her.

Edit: Also bastion can spot her but only when she gets a bit closer to him, but the point here is that she gets the message ā€œspottedā€ even tho bastion in turret cant actually see her yet.

Iā€™m not entirely sure how Sombraā€™s ā€œspottedā€ mechanic works.

Is it that if any enemy can ā€œspotā€ a cloaked Sombra, then she should become visible to all allies? Even allies far away? Or only visible to the hero who is very close to the cloaked sombra?

Part of the problem with meta stems from how hero select works in Overwatch. Because both teams can pick the same exact team composition and canā€™t steal characters for themselves (like how league or paladins works). The meta becomes more stale.

However if there was a ban phase AND a character select phase then teams could narrow down each playerā€™s specific hero pool that they can use throughout a game.

For now letā€™s suppose Blizzard works on a new form of hero selection before each match in competitive. In this format, each player (12 players) can chose 2-3 heroes to use throughout the match teams alternate selecting heroes (player 1 picks one hero, opponent 1 and 2 pick one hero each, player 2 and 3 pick theirs, and so on) until all players have 2-3 (once there are enough heroes picking 3 will be possible). There is no duplicate picks, so one team has Reinhardt, the other doesnā€™t.

This whole idea is to break the staleness of seeing mirror matches or seeing the same 3 characters on both teams. This will also force the Devs to look into better balance changes once certain heroes over perform due to absence of a mirror hero, vise versa for under performing heroes.

It will take quite a few patches to work out kinks in the system and for data on hero performance, but it should lead to better game health in the long run.

This will also lead to faster development of more heroes and lore if Blizzard is to ever change hero select as they would need more playable heroes for players to pick for team composition.

That system sounds super clunky and unenjoyable. I really donā€™t see how that makes the game better in any way.

1 Like

I belive she is only visible to the hero she is close and when the message appears then she should be spotted, in bastion case she has to get closer than that.

can we join a custom game to test this?

If youā€™re on different server I think you need to go on the PTR.

Iā€™ll have to elaborate on it more. Iā€™ll make a separate thread that you could read through. The whole point of changing the hero selection at the beginning is to stir the pot of heroes up and hopefully mix the meta up a bit more by removing mirror matches and thusly exact same team comps.

1 Like

Event is out now. Iā€™ll buy that Orisa skin once the servers start workingā€¦

1 Like

I legit got into a game before all the flood of players and legit got a message "you havent purchased the game"

You what now blizz? Now im stuck behind 20k ppl and i had time only for few matches, now its not worth the waitā€¦

2 Likes

So now Bastion will get destroy by Soldier 76 ! Tips : Full auto him, he is so big.

3 Likes

After the update:

Lucio: Speeeed Boooooost!

Bastion: dies

2 Likes