💔 Bastion ISN’T being forgotten, he’s being ignored

Funny, because Seagull from the Dallas Fuel made a comment on Bastion saying he needed HS added back.

In my context, the 50% IC would only be during his transformations. EXACTLY like Roadhogs self-heal.

his spread was originally nerfed by 50%, so I think a minimum of 25/30% would be good, because that means 20% was converted into IC.

I’m fine with the transformation time, it’s just that IC needs to be applied at the START of his animations, and not after, The opposite for coming out of his tank animation too, so he loses 35% IC in the last frame when he turns back into recon.

Iffy. Interesting, but I’d like to see it in game before I agree.

This is along the lines of a revert. I’m not saying I dislike it, I’m just pointing out that Blizzard might not take this route when balancing him, if they ever do.

2 Likes

I’m still not sure how this makes him useless. It gives most all of his power back to Sentry mode, which seems to be your main concern with this whole thing…

Not the tank, the squishies behind him. And if you’re going for kills with Tank mode, you’re going to need directs. Nothing is forcing you to use Tank, just use Sentry if you need more damage. If someone is running away, or you need to remove someone’s Brigitte ult armor, Tank can be useful for that.

Yes, but when they’re saying that there’s no way to possibly balance Bastion, there’s something wrong… Usually (I’m not saying you’re wanting this, ovbiously), they just want him nerfed so hard that they never have to see him… Like timers on his modes and buffing Recon so that it’s still a more useless version of Soldier, but it looks like it makes up for Sentry being trash.

I still don’t see that. Can you please explain that one further. Are you saying that in my rework he would be diluted, or that Blizzard would dilute him themselves when attempting to rework him? Because I feel that I’ve balanced everything out fairly well. I feel that Sentry has plenty of power, Recon is still a viable option, and Tank is fun to play, and not awful to play against.

This thread isn’t just meant to be a rework idea. That’s only there to give people an idea of a single rework. This is more meant as a megathread in general for Bastion that contains all of the information and concerns we have about him.

I wasn’t saying the damage falloff, I’m saying his DPS falls off long before Recon does. Sentry’s damage falloff is 35 - 55 meters, but his spread is so insanely large at those ranges, that your TTK is going to be much much smaller if you just use Recon instead. At 35 meters, it took Sentry mode Bastion 43 rounds, or 1.45 seconds to kill a training bot. Recon, at the same distance, took 7 bullets, or about 1 second (give or take, because of the spread control).

If you’re talking about old Bastion, then yes, Sentry is better than probably even new Recon. I’m comparing current Sentry to current Recon.

Yeah, I’m just concerned that people will jump on point and spam shift so that they constantly transform, giving them an almost constant 50% damage resist. They won’t be able to shoot and such, but they can stall pretty well…

1 Like

It sounds crazy and stupid, but… a cooldown on reconfigure, of even just a second or two would stop that from happening. :thinking::thinking:

Don’t mind me, i’m just… >.> Here.

And no, i wouldn’t want that either… not really…

1 Like

I can tell you for a fact that he will be useless whether you see it or not, or you take my word for it or not.

Regardless, 50 damage splash won’t affect anyone.

Many people just want to delete random heroes like that, it’s not just with Bastion, they’re still melons.

Being a swiss knife doesn’t work in games like this, the only way Blizzard knows how to balance is imagine a triangle of support, damage, and tanking. You can have a hero only perform at certain balances within that triangle. If he can do all 3, he is either overpowered or so diluted that it’s fine he can do it all at once.

I have heard the tank mode on E thing so many times and argued against it for way too long, and seeing it here, on the only active Bastion parade right now, worries me very much to the point that I risk losing all enjoyment with my main, the only reason I still play Overwatch, I know it doesn’t mean anything when we are talking about balance, I just wanted to explain to you personally why I am against this so much.

As I mentioned, you still fire almost 3 times longer in Sentry so it doesn’t matter.

I’m sorry, but why bring up Brigitte? :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

You’re not explaining it though… If this would legitimately make him useless, then yeah, I’d probably change my views on it, but I’m not seeing how adding more utility to his kit while maintaining what he already does makes him useless.

It shouldn’t… Bastion isn’t an explosives character, he doesn’t need a strong explosive on Tank (unless it’s his ultimate). Direct hits should hurt, but the splash doesn’t really need to. It’s for rocket jumping and burst damage, not for seeking out kills. Get into a good position with Tank, swap to Sentry for damage. Tank can clean up kills pretty well, but it shouldn’t be used in the same way that you would use a Junkrat or Pharah.

I agree that Sentry should stay as the focus of his kit, I don’t want it to become even more useless than it is now. I don’t think Tank on E necessarily means the death of Sentry though.

Firing 3 times longer doesn’t matter if they can easily kill you in that time. The faster you can deal with the threat, the better. It doesn’t matter how long you can shoot if you’re not doing any meaningful damage to the enemy… D.va can fire indefinitely, but she’s useless at range because she doesn’t do any damage that far away.

1 Like

If I say “the damage is too low” or “the rockets are too few” then you will say “well then increase his rocket damage” or “increase the rocket number” and then ultimately we boil down to “well Blizzard will sort it out” which is the main disagreement point and that is what you can’t seem to understand.

I was talking about when you told me that I should simply jump over the shield completely negating the fact that I just wasted one of my few rockets that already do low damage according to your damage suggestions to propel myself in the air so I can hope to shoot over a shield then do a splash damage for 50. You want his ult to be changed for this? No thanks.

I do think that it will be the death of a good and balanced ult, and an addition of a pointless hard to balance random ability. Instead of simply buffing his Sentry.

And you know of a concept called difficulty to achieve vs reward? That’s the problem you see. The difference is non existent and it’s often safer to stay in Sentry than to miss out on getting a nice Sentry shot while trying to snipe with your little sub machine gun.

Also don’t derail the conversation over this into risk vs reward vs enemy comp vs danger of current situation vs healing currently received vs- and so on, we were talking about pure damage output over longer ranges with Bastion in Recon vs Sentry.

He already is except tank is behind his ult. He has 3 modes and he should be able to use them. It’s not like I’m asking for an Apache Attack Helicopter.

4 Likes

“Shot fired, i repeat, Shots have been fired.”

“We need backup in the Bastion thread asap, Somebody’s goin Tank mode”

:roll_eyes:
he…he…he…

All heroes should now get the ability to use their current ults but in weaker form on some key and let their ults be just minor buffs everywhere, they have different forms and should be allowed to use them. It’s not like I’m asking for flying Genji’s or anything.

I just said the same thing using your logic, if it is inaccurate, tell me how.

Well maybe you did XD

1 Like

I’m trying to sort everything out before they get to it. Should they look at this for reference (probably not going to happen, but whatever), I want them to do as little work as possible. It should all be done before then. Once it went to PTR, then balance changes come into play. These changes would focus on Sentry being the main part of his kit, not Tank. If Tank is a tad too weak in damage or ammo count, then yeah, maybe change it a bit. But don’t take from Sentry to do so, that doesn’t make any sense…

You said there was a shield in your way, I told you how to get around it… I didn’t say it was a good idea to use Tank mode in that situation. His ult wouldn’t change. If you want current Tank as his ult, then use Tank during his ult. It’s the exact same as what he has now, that was a major point of the ult.

The problem with that comes when people don’t want to go up against a Sentry mode that does a ton of damage and has 20% damage resist (assuming you’re keeping Ironclad, it’s been a while, I don’t remember if you said to remove it or not). If people, especially pros, don’t want to fight against that, Bastion will be nerfed, no question. It doesn’t matter if it’s fair, it only matters what people perceive him as. This is what I’m trying to avoid. The same thing happened to Mercy and Sombra. Getting hacked a bunch sucked, so they nerfed it. Mercy hiding for a mass rez sucked (depending on who you ask), so they nerfed it. I fully expect Hanzo to be next.

But his “little sub machine gun” is almost the exact same as Soldier’s gun. It does 1 more damage per round, but fires at 1 less round per second. It’s pinpoint accurate to start, and it’s among the most accurate (it might be the most accurate) full auto weapon in the game at max spread.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, I’m not factoring anything in other than Recon and Sentry mode’s damage output, and the fact that the enemy will shoot back. Yes, Ironclad will prevent 20% of the damage from going through, but killing the enemy sooner prevents 100% of the damage from going through. Sentry mode (at range) does far less damage than Recon mode does. Yes, it can shoot for longer, but since you can do more damage with Recon, it’s sometimes better yo use that rather than Sentry.

Tomorrow is a good day to receive a response!

4 Likes

You said Bastion is pretty basic (as in no attach helicopters), Bastion already has the ability to use tankmode and tankmode is pretty basic. It’s a tank, what did you expect? You’re making this absurd on purpose. It could have been any of his modes behind an ult, imagine if sentry was his ult? I’d probably still make the same argument for it to be usable normally.

It actually makes sense on Bastion compared to other heroes. He has 2 examples of why it makes sense, because he has 2 modes he can use at any time. What’s wrong with using one he already has?

Basically there are examples, it fits his character, it’s still pretty basic, and the only flashy thing I see is rocket jumping.

Edit: Oh and you balance characters different too so you can’t just point at Genji and expect that to be an argument.

Your faith drives us forward, friend.

1 Like

I sure hope so… I’m really hoping they’ll at least say something when they push Torb to PTR…

1 Like

Bastion is one of my favorite heroes (i dont play it because i play mostly tanks). It deserves the best.

2 Likes

Every single rework so far has been a disaster, and for some unknown reason you’re saying that this one will not be a disaster, why? I’m saying that if they want to fix him they should mostly revert him.

You said that in a way that seemed that I was being dumb for not simply jumping up into the air if I wanted to deal damage with my theoretical limited rockets, but you just admitted it wouldn’t even be worth it so I’m glad we agree.

And you know, even if we could keep Bastions current strength without any compensation (Which isn’t happening by the way, they’re not just going to give him a mini tank mode and let it slide), I still think the buffs and compensations should be aimed towards his Sentry.

Using that logic, then just leave him as he is, because right now no one perceives him as too strong except a few triggered ones who don’t know how to deal with pirate ship.

And I am willing to sacrifice ironclad, extra ammo and reloading speed, all just for the old spread and headshots, just as they were before. I’m not willing to sacrifice the moving while healing or the transform speed though, those are way too precious.

You know what, the Sentry vs Recon long range conversation proved to be impossible and out of place, so let’s just stop with that.