Bastion is being forgotten

I once heard this put in a Very great way…

A Description of Bastion’s Character: Makes Things Dead.

Exactly this.
If you walk into the room with a Bastion, And actually… ya know… Go into the room Or, For instance… Peak around corners, Trying to fire Anything Really At the Bastion, You Should always be Chancing death.

Right now, that is literally impossible… You can “Corner Peak” At a Bastion all day long without Any chance of Dying, let alone taking ANY Damage, Really…

Just earlier today, i was dealing with this Annoying Widow, who would flank, And try her hardest to “Corner Peak” at me, from like… Three Meters away.

Fearless i tell you! People No Longer Fear Him!

(And of course, I got up into recon and killed her every time… O-o It confused me why she was trying to do, What she was doing… i even Punched her to death a couple of Times… And yea, i checked… she was Not Low Level. At all. Like, at least lvl 600. They should know better than that.)

Glass canon.
Bastion needs to be a Glass Canon. :smiling_imp:
(Again)

6 Likes

Btw coming back to the whole pirate ship strat, keep in mind the new buffed mei.

Her being able to freeze everyone on payload by flanking from behind is huge. I belive only orisa could maybe fortify and protect the frozen bastion, plus everyone whos being touched by the ice ray will flee in shock and despair while getting picked off by the rest of enemy team.

I guess… the winter is coming for all them pirates.

5 Likes

I’m glad we are reviving this thread. :slight_smile:
I’m honestly curious about other ideas for the character. Don’t get me wrong all the ideas that are popular are good, but I think it is a good idea to come up with different ideas as well.

1 Like

They won’t buff the Sentry Gun, though they might buff the Sentry Mode. They might buff Tank Mode.

They’re most likely to buff Recon Mode, which is most dependent on skill and is their best bet for making Bastion more balanced against other heroes.

Sentry Mode might be buffed by removing other characters’ ability to force him out of that mode, or giving him an anti-CC E Ability.

Tank Mode might be buffed by applying IC immediately when transformation begins and increasing IC slightly, or altering the duration of tank mode to allow it to be used as an ambush defense tool the way Bastion is meant to be played, or giving Bastion’s ultimate an additional artillery form analogous to his Sentry Mode.

Recon Rifle would get accuracy buffs to encourage Bastion to use it against Pharah or snipers. Bastion would still lose to snipers, but at least he might win if anyone else on his team is also shooting at the sniper.

2 Likes

I personally enjoy Recon. So I think these changes would be cool.

I would like to see the character have emphasis on mobility in recon, damage in turret and a compromise of both in tank. I know it is unlikely but Rocket Jumping like a Tf2 Solider would be a welcome change. :smiley:

Although I don’t play Bastion, the thing about headshots allowed during sentry mode is a frightening thought.

Radar scan for recon mode, but would that even make sens?

Do we need that? :satellite::question:

3 Likes

Why are people so afraid of something that has already been in the game in the past? Bastion with headshots and a tighter bullet spread is not a new concept. It’s something that was taken away from Bastion in exchange for 35% Ironclad which was a fair trade if aggravating to play against. Ironclad was then gutted, and it was no longer a fair trade. Bastion lost too much damage for 20% Ironclad to be adequate compensation.

To make a hero more powerful you can increase their mobility, their kill potential, or their survivability. We can’t buff mobility because it’s well-established that Sentry mode is stationary. We can’t buff passive survivability because that was already tried with 35% Ironclad. That leaves buffing kill potential or active survivability as viable options for improving Bastion gameplay.

Giving Bastion damage reduction while self-healing is one option, but that would basically be copying the mechanic they gave to Roadhog. Giving him an E ability that lets him deploy a shield or become immune to crowd control with damage resistance would be good too, but that’s basically copying Orisa’s abilities. The problem with buffing Bastion’s survivability is that anything we could give to Bastion is going to step on the toes of the tanks that are designed to protect him, without which he currently cannot function.

Giving Bastion his old damage model back would allow Bastion to stand on his own, without a tank, without becoming a tank himself. It seems to me like the most logical way to proceed with Bastion by restoring that which made Bastion truly unique from the other heroes.

8 Likes

An ability like that would be more useful on Sentry mode, because it would give Bastion information needed to reposition. Losing extra vision when going into Sentry form would just be another reason to never use it, and Bastion doesn’t need more of those.

3 Likes

Probably because they’ve never played Bastion from the past and still don’t play Bastion. What’re the chances you’d see a Bastion in competitive? People like to throw reasons why a character should/why do something with barely any hours (a common practice in the OW forums). Which is why I said “Although I don’t play Bastion”.

1 Like

I think it’s because the game has changed since then. When Bastion had his headshots taken away, we had just left triple tank meta with the monster that was super tank D.va. All we had to protect Bastion was Reinhardt who couldn’t do anything else while he protected Bastion.

I agree with you, but is something that make a lot of people nervous.

I like it but I think wall hacks are more obnoxious then an 35% iron clad bastion.

1 Like

At this point, various heroes “copy” various abilities.

Bastion’s E doesn’t need to be as good as Orisa’s Shift; it doesn’t need to reduce damage (especially since Sentry Mode has Ironclad), resist McCree’s flashbang or Doomfist’s stuns, or resist Mei’s freeze or even resist Earthshatter’s knockdown and stun. Does Orisa’s Fortify work against Sombra’s hacking? Because Bastion’s E wouldn’t need to do that, either.

It just needs to counter Charge, Hook, and Halt.

Whats the point of intel if it takes ages to kill mobile ones…

I agree with you.

3 Likes

It would make more sense for Bastion to just have passive immunity to all crowd control in Sentry form. That would solve a lot of Bastion’s problems, actually, without making any of his best counters (snipers, Pharah, Junkrat) any weaker against him. With luck, it might even silence people asking for Lucio and Winston to be able to boop Sentry Bastion by explicitly making him immune to such things as a feature.

However, I still think restoring Bastion’s long range headshots is the way to go because it would make for a much more dramatic difference compared to a passive ability in the performance of a well-played Bastion compared to a mediocre Bastion.

6 Likes

Testing would be needed to see if the rooted bastion with cc immunity isnt too much.

because that plus lets say “old sentry” might be too much.

But who knows how much power we need to be viable.

2 Likes

Like an “anchor” ability? Maybe give him head shots and make him immune to cc and movement abilities when he is anchored but have his spread be what it is now. If your not anchored you have old Bastion spread with headshots?

Sentry was actually balanced before, he killed easily but was also easily killed. Since you were so vulnerable you had to be way more careful than now with it.

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone is seriously asking for both. I can’t recall anyone asking for Sentry Mode to be both LESS vulnerable and MORE lethal. Just one or the other.

Just like how I’m not asking for BOTH an artillery mode and a tank mode which only ends after you’ve fired a certain number of shots. Just one or the other.

We need enough power to consistently 1v1 any other hero in the game while stationary and aware of the target. It should not be a fair matchup. Without that power, Bastion will always be bottom-tier because he is completely at the mercy of any single counter-pick. If you pick Winston to counter Genji, Genji can run away or otherwise avoid Winston while still doing his job. Meanwhile, Bastion has numerous counter-picks who not only beat Bastion in a head-on fight but also have the ability to chase him down if he tries to avoid the fight. In order for Bastion to do his job as a defense hero that controls a specific area, he must be powerful enough that no enemy may single-handedly contest Bastion’s territory.

The only counters to a well-played Bastion should be teamwork and surprise. Before Bastion’s rework, before Ironclad and the huge damage nerf, that was actually true. Bastion could kill absolutely anything he was aware of, but not as fast as two or more enemies could kill him. Old Sentry mode was perfect. Even the inability to heal while taking damage was fine. What was holding old Bastion back was always his self-heal in recon mode. Because it forced Bastion to stand still, it was not usable while repositioning and turned Bastion into a sitting duck. Old Bastion with heal while moving would be precisely the amount of power that Bastion needs to be viable without being overpowered.

If Bastion were immune to crowd control and still had Ironclad, he would not need headshots. Complete crowd control immunity would mean Bastion could set up in close range without fear of being stunned or removed from Sentry form, where Bastion’s new damage model is actually still powerful.

The reason why Bastion needs his old damage model back, right now, is primarily because of the need for longer effective range to out-range crowd control like Roadhog’s hook, McCree’s flashbang, and so on. The reason why I don’t think passive immunity is as good of an option as simply restoring Bastion’s Sentry gun to its former glory is that passive immunity doesn’t add anything dynamic to Bastion’s skill ceiling.

5 Likes