Baptiste - Developer Q&A

ANd Mercy’s does to an extent when utilized properly to jump at the dip.

Mercy also does.

And Mercy as well. More so due to Angelic Ascent slowing her fall speed and making her easier to hit.

1. Mercy jumps way faster than Baptiste
  2. Ok they both need a target to jump to
  3. Mercy doesn’t have to use descent and she can rapidly dive from the air.

When will,Baptiste come into the Game? I’m really excited, for new characters!

1 Like

With Baptiste we’re visiting the Caribbean in Overwatch’s timeline for the first time. How did the Omnic crisis affect this region? What’s the current status of Omnics there?

2 Likes

“I’m going to whine about something and give them reasons to not do it in the future”

2 Likes

What’s left for Baptiste, now? He seems rather finished, missing a little bit of polish maybe, like his hand animations, but not something that would keep him until April. Will he ever get a “home”/origin map? Like Orisa and Numbani, and Junkrat+Roadhog and Junkertown?

Will Baptiste be joining the recalled Overwatch and will he be having any encounters with Overwatch agents?

1 Like

Were you inspired by Demoman from Team Fortress 2?

You guys waited almost 3 years to release a character with an invulnerability mechanic. Did you guys have plans for this kind of ability early on? Was waiting this long a calculated move by you guys? Or was it just how things fell into place?

Perhaps, but whether nor not he does is irrelevant. You dont shoot Mercy when shes GAing you shoot her where she ends up.

No, Mercy needs a teammate, Baptiste does not

Then she would be falling at the same speed as Baptiste and have the same vulnerability in the air. So either she has the same vulnerability or more than him but never less.

Usually you would only do that in Valk, if you use the superjump its to elevate yourself and get a better position while still healing/dbing. If you need to go down, its better to just fall and save the GA if u need it. WHile its on a very short 1.5 second cooldown, thats still a lot of time in a fast game like OW. Compare Resurrect’s cast time at 1.75 seconds.

Is Baptiste’s character design based on the original mercy design?

Not only is this not Baptiste related, but they’ve already talked about POTG. They know it’s not great and they want to make it smarter but it’s way way down the priority list, especially since it doesn’t directly affect gameplay.

When Ashe was revealed, Papa Kaplan talked about how you had a plan for Echo and implied you wanted to make her addition to the roster a bigger deal. Is Baptiste part of that, or was he made more to fill a void in the game (i.e. hitscan healer)?

1 Like

What is his sexual preference?

2 Likes

1). The Invinci-Droid is considered a target. Can the droid be teleported via Sym?

2). What is the absolute depth and height can the field go? (Ie: Through floors, walls, the chandeliers, etc)

With Bap being Haitian, could we see a custom map maker for players to make non-canon maps, such as in Haiti?

I feel like it’s time for a custom map maker, this way the players can start exploring and creating potential options for the world of OW, such as a Swiss base where Reaper and Soldier fought, or like the back allies of Anubis, with the Ana short story.

I think it would be really cool addition to the game, even if it came after the game/match viewer. Is this now a possibility for you to look at and possibly implement?

Do you think Baptiste “makes enough noise”?

I have a hard time hearing when he uses his abilities as an example. I use sound a ton to help me play this game. I don’t know if it matters, but I would like to have a clearer sense of when he uses his self heal for example so I know when I should counter it in some way.

I don’t think they do, but do his boots make a sound when he is charging them? Even if I can’t see him, hearing him charging them up around a corner my help me to think about looking for ledges he may have jumped to. I guess, a reason not to have them make a sound for the enemy would be that I don’t think he could sneak around via crouch like the other heroes can. So in the very least he should have a sound as he leaps.

Speaking of his jump, can he charge it while frozen? Might of just happened too quickly but I thought I saw someone leap away as soon as they thawed while I was freezing them as Mei. Maybe the leap charge doesn’t reset on freeze/stun?

Can you give us any insight into how you went about designing Baptiste’s gun? I was surprised to find a burst fire weapon with recoil in Overwatch, especially after hearing Jeff Kaplan say that ‘Geoff hates recoil’, and after Ashe’s gun’s feel was designed SO well. I don’t want to say Baptiste feels bad, but he certainly feels very different to shoot with compared to her, or really any other hero in Overwatch.

3 Likes

Where does Baptiste keep his Immortality Drone?

The second highlight intro makes it clear that he uses his backpack for Regenerative Burst; but I keep wondering where does he keep the drone? His shoulderpads? a Pocket? another crevice? I have no idea.

It would be really funny if Q&A revelealed that infact sombra is male

1 Like