Banning terms like KYS

Blizzard, you obviously know what it means, why haven’t you banned it yet?

3 Likes

Context is everything. See how you just used the term? See how in this context its not bannable or offensive in any way its literally being used to describe a problem?

Cant just go around banning things and people arbitrarily. No reason to not change it though like they did ggez.

3 Likes

You’re pointing out exactly how easy it would be to keep off messaging, just like with ggez, its not hard. But yet through 10 seasons now of it being abused it still exists. Wait until someone commits suicide from being bullied online playing overwatch and then see what you have on your hands Blizzard.

I recommend you just mute the user and avoid them as teammate instead.

1 Like

Uninstall and Keep Your Sanity… I kid, I kid

• Hey team, should I wait for the rest of you near the payload or kill myself to reset?
  • kys

nah, just kidding, it’s a horrible term

2 Likes

You cant avoid someone as a teammate. How do you suggest I do that exactly?

Go to your recent players and right click on the player you would like to avoid and there is an “Avoid as teammate” button.

2 Likes

YES MORE CENSORSHIP THAT’LL FIX IT!!! How did GG EZ workout?

3 Likes

Did that with gg ez :clown_face:

Because banning “gg ez” worked?

People who want to say toxic things are gonna say toxic things. Automated filtering just makes it a pain in the butt for regular, not-toxic people to have a conversation. This very forum is a good example. Apparently you can’t have a conversation about the neonazi propoganda that plague OWL’s twitch channel unless you remember to write “neo” in front of “[censored]”.

2 Likes

Wow, if you can’t handle someone trashtalking you on the internet, you’re probably already on an FBI list of some sort.

2 Likes

Really, Blizzard should be made into swear word. This is he only way to awoid neutering of the game and players by special snowflakes.

Blizzard yourself!
You damn blizzard!
Were you Blizzard on your head in childhood?
You are an -ard, a Blizzard!
You are as smart as Blizzard dev!
No, you are not Blizzard. You surpassed the limits of blizzardness - you are Activision!

1 Like

this is the kind of attitude that keeps suicide rates high. Not everyone gets actively offended by “trashtalking” but a good number of them are already suicidal, and telling a suicidal person to kys is akin to putting a gun in their hand.

This absolution of all personal responsibility/self-control via an insular lifestyle from the beginning is what causes people to deteriorate into such a state. Hearing KYS in a video game is far less imposing than hearing someone curse you in real life. You might want to go read some dystopian literature before you go on this censorship campaign.

2 Likes

The solution is simple - mandatory psychological tests before allowing people to buy violent video games like Overwatch. If companies actually cared about peolpes well being and not their stocks, they`d do that. But they dont.

the slippery slope argument? that’s what you’re going with? We’re not asking for heavy censorship, just to censor the worst offenders.

Blizzard would have nothing on their hands. That’s a rather unjust statement. The responsibility would lie with the abuser as well as the victim themselves. Otherwise, that is tantamount to suggesting that social media sites are responsible for the victims of suicide or self-harm due to the negative experiences they have online while using their systems. These sites offering a service have no blame in what their users decide to do. They can only manage it the best they can and punish those who violate their ToS.

Context truly is everything. If we ban everything that “could” be offensive, then you’ll have no freedom to speak or think freely. That’s not a world anyone wants to live in, because what one finds offensive, another may not and vice versa. It creates a cascading effect and it’s not unlike anything we’ve seen in reality thus far.

4 Likes

That’s entirely subjective. Your rebuttal to me was essentially NUH UH.

because you don’t return invalid arguments. Slippery slope arguments are invalid and therefore not deserving of any length reply.