Balance team is experimenting with globally BUFFING damage

And it’s not going to work in an actual game unless the Tracer player is really really bad.

Plus things that can only instagib Tracer should not be counted on a list of one shots or kill confirms because she has lower health.

I like this direction. There is too much going on in the game right now. OW has become a fun box for kids, glowing stuff everywhere is the opposite of a competitive video game. Every successful competitive game to date got crisp visuals with high octane engagements and intense knife-edge mechanics (kill or be killed). Think back to Quake 3 Arena, popular in its time. The dev team should sit down for a week and figure out what made Q3A capture the flag great. Low hp pools, every weapon had value in the hands of a pro, resources like armor did not replenish quickly, etc. This game already breaks 2 rules, low damage output and fast armor regeneration, it is a snore fest until people use ults, if ults don’t connect everyone in the game has to shoot paint balls at shields until ults replenish, tru snorefest.

Um. The class is called ‘‘supports’’, not ‘‘healers’’. Less healing means more utility.

You say that, but every time a support gets some utility it gets nerfed into the center of the earth.

6 Likes

Funny, if they’re intent on making is so random dps will be able to completely annihilate enemy team, why not just discard the team aspect if it no longer matters?

We know what they mean with carry characters and it’s going to only mean a carry dps. Which would be when the remaining embers of having a team game would die out in favour of pure FPS where tanks and supports do not matter.

No strategy, no coordination, just pewpew the opponent and that would be the end of overwatch as a game. It could not support objective gamemodes any longer if TTK becomes even lower than this.

They’re basically thinking in the terms of every character becoming worse than buffed Genji. A hard no from me.

2 Likes

I mean, seriously. You think queue times are bad now. Just wait. Queue up, go ahead and complete a semester of college, and celebrate by finally getting into the game you queued up for.

Here’s the thing you don’t seem to get: the fact that this is even on their radar at all should be worrying everyone. It shows how poorly they understand how to manage this game. The idea of even shorter TTKs so that tanks get evaporated as fast a stationary Tracer—not to mention everyone else dying instantly—is so astoundingly bad it’s almost as if they’re trying to tank the game. (Pun semi-intended.)

Queue times are already bad because no one wants to play tank, with the overabundance of CC and the fact that tanks don’t feel like tanks. They get disintegrated in a second as soon as barriers are down. You think fixing it so DPS can reliably 1v2+, or making it so no one survives more than an instant out of cover is going to help that? Guaranteed you will lose tons of tank and support players.

The idea that the people running this game somehow have it in mind that buffing damage across the board is the way to fix it should sound alarms. It’s literally the opposite of what would help the game now, and the only thing nearly everyone can agree upon is the power creep that has destroyed the game’s balance.

They are showing again and again that they don’t understand this, and are willing to push it further.

I speak only for myself, but I know I’m not alone in that if they go this route, I’ll stop playing completely. I love the characters of the game, but not enough to play something the devs are determined to ruin utterly.

10 Likes

They should, the team aspect must be second. Popular games released after OW are all player centric first, it is what the consumer wants. Why keep pushing something that isn’t working? Team first doesn’t work, players methodically remove fun out of a team-based game with formula, it is harder to do so with a player centric game. Blizz will be hacking restrictions into their games until the end of time until there is no game left, if they keep going down the team route.

1 Like

read: smurfs can dunk on lower rank players even harder than they already do

4 Likes

Also read: “……Those OWL highlights will be so amayzin tho”

1 Like

This game set down the wrong path the day they decided that Hook should “break”.
The moment that they decided that a tank being a threat was a legitimate grievance for DPS mains that needed to be corrected by abandoning “favor the shooter” is this game’s Original Sin.

1 Like

I really hate throwing around this word but

Wanting a DPS to be able to consistently 1v3 in a TEAM game is a braindead thought process. There’s no other explanation, every complaint about the game is how much power creep has gotten to EVERY role. Why not just roll back your awful balance decisions over the years instead of trying to break the game even further?

I really really don’t understand what plane of thought the balance team works on, because it sure isn’t a logical one.

1 Like

Yeah

Anyone who designed Brig and released her in that state should’ve been fired immediately. Or who refused to nerf Mercy to the ground after her rework and took 6 months of broken games instead.

They’re taking what’s unique about this game and throwing it in the trash. If these changes go through, I might be done with this game.

I disagree with that approach, we need to nerf healing and damage back a bit, and have a better emphasis on 1v1 fights and team synergy.

you must be really bad to want one of the slowest fps games ever to be paced even slower

I don’t mind them doing internal experiments like that. It might bomb so badly that they realize that it could never work.

I just hope they don’t try to push it towards live. I personally don’t like the idea of increased damage across the board, but I don’t think experimenting is bad or that they should be replaced for trying things. Trial and error isn’t wrong if it’s done internally.

Also this is why they don’t share things like that - because people keep calling for their jobs when they are transparent about what they’re doing/trying.

Oh boy, making it so smurfs have even more carry potential?

And now it becomes clear that no matter what Blizzard does – ever, there’s always going to be a huge number of people complaining about it. I don’t envy them. People whine that they’re being brought down by bad teammates who don’t contribute anything. Then Blizzard says “ok, we’ll try to give you the potential to carry.” People don’t want that either. I’m starting to agree with Blizzard’s general approach that they should routinely ignore all the whining and just make the game they want to play. Most of the time, no matter what they do, people will never be happy.

If by “nightmare” you mean that healers can no longer nullify massive amounts of damage with relatively low skill, then yes, it’s going to be a nightmare. And let the nightmare begin. One of the worst aspects of this game is being resigned to a loss because someone on your team is underperforming and dragging you down with them. I’m all for a game where individual competence shines brighter, and the good people can get to better ranks and the dregs can finally slip down to where they belong.