Avoid as teammate new feature! (New Developer Update Video)

Exactly, so instead its ‘thats not poor team work and is not reportable BUT PLEASE DONT DO IT AND BTW GET AVOIDED’.

I mean we know exactly why this feature is coming back.

3 Likes

Well I will be using the system to avoid a player that violates my sense of the code of conduct, and will take a previous person off the list as needed if I am in an extended Competitive play campaign any given night.

1 Like

True but at least they will be less likely to tell you how it’s totally okay to report people who don’t switch when told or something like that.

Well clearly those players shouldn’t be in the same game with the other players. We are assisting the match maker, it needs help badly, its been broken since day one.

Here is the deal, I have a group of buddies that I was able to play with. I never had one crap game win or lose because we all did our jobs. My work scheduled changed and I can’t play with them.

But if I could join a large group of said players I will always have good games. If that person throws, quits etc. they are kicked out of the group, issue solved in one click. Or a person can say hey I don’t want to play with this group anymore for whatever reason and find another group or start a group.

This is the issue, they are not treating the cause they are treating the system.

nah, SA is very healthy never have long ques, maybe in the higher elos at off-hours, but i wouldnt know.

Good to hear. With me being an MVP in the Tech Support forum, I get all sorts of horror stories from lower populated regions.

“You should be thinking about why are so many people avoiding you as a teammate… If you’re in this situation the best thing for you to do is to form your own group”

“This will only happen to a very small percentage of our players and we believe that the behavior will correct over time when players realize that they are doing things that other players sorta aren’t crazy about so we think this one will fix itself very quickly”.

GM one tricks are being put on notice with this one as the system is effectively a soft ban. I think this was the fairest way for them to tackle the problem. They realize it’s a massive problem and they side with the overall community but do not want to ban one tricks simply for hero choice. However the community has tools to seclude people who refuse to be team players and the offending player gets a slight nudge to try to work with their team more.

1 Like

Look, Jeff, or someone, and I really hope you read this: this isn’t going to help.

First of all, the difference between 0-2 when compared to infinity, is relatively nonexistent. Keep that in mind.

I think the issue you are having, is that you’re trying to address complaints while simultaneously insisting on a ~50% win-rate for all players. I strongly believe you’re looking at this the wrong way. I know you guys have a very competent team and I’m sure you think of everything.

That being said, I know that you know, and I hope you aren’t trying to insult the community’s intelligence, that this isn’t going to help basically anyone short of like Top 500 players. There are dozens of good reasons to avoid other players. Whether they are having issues being aggressive and moving forward, they don’t want to support their team and are memeing about playing supports and not topping their team off, picking heroes that just won’t work, throwing, etc. Avoiding 2 people will not remedy that issue at all.

This feature was already in the game at one point, but it was abused only by people who wanted to win, who avoided people who were better than them so they couldn’t oppose them. If you really want to let people have their own crafted experience playing this game, you will give them the freedom to decide who gets matchmade into their team. The burden of the massively avoided should, as you said, be to find a team of people who want to play with them the way they play. Not the other way around.

The Avoid list should be infinite, and if we really, as a community, should compromise on this: it should be wiped exclusively each season. To give the one-tricks, and people who refuse to support their team a chance to queue with people they actually should be matched with, once again.

I understand the implications of queue time, and the feature should, and will/would always be a curved sword. If you can avoid a thousand people, a thousand people can also avoid you. If I avoid so many people that I only get queued with teams vastly better than me, it would only make sense that they all avoid me as well.

It is fair and it allows the players to be free to choose who they want to play with. Or, more accurately, what sort of people they want to play with. Ideally there should be some kind of more specific matchmaking so people can find teams and play what they want, but issues of aggressiveness and cooperative capacity are things that can’t really be measured, and Avoid should be used for that.

Just want to make it clear that every Symmetra player will be avoided.

This is a welcome change.

2 Likes

yea lol, instead enemy team gets them and you get a free win :laughing:

Yup, this will be quite effective in the high tiers where there’s fewer players, but I’m not sure how effective it will in lower tiers such as platinum or lower. Time will tell, but I honestly believe the limit of two will need adjusting if the lower tiers are to be able to benefit from this greatly.

They will most likely increase it in the future. The two player minimum is most likely to gather data about how queue times are effected. If it only effects an extremely tiny percentage of people who are truly a problem in most of their matches(one tricks) then they’ll probably bump the limit a bit.

Throwers and griefers you should treat as you did before and report them so they can be banned. This is clearly to address the one trick situation and all the arguments people have had on the forums about it. They’ve been deleting topics where people said they were reporting them for poor teamwork but it looks like they’ve finally heard that the community has spoken and decided about the one trick issue.

Well remember this is about getting away from undesirable players in that moment you are playing the game. It is not meant to completely avoid those players throughout the season.

So yeah, infinite and long term avoidences are not a good idea.

I believe that they have the data. The feature was in the game, it was just abused against high level Widows and people who were super impactful to a game. Forgive me for being skeptical, but also a bit a impatient; because the feature should’ve been changed from the start, not removed completely, and 2 feels like nothing.

I’ve also reported dozens of people who go AFK or inactive during critical moments in matches, take forever to get back to the team after respawning, and throw. I have never once seen the “report successful” message that all of my friends seem to get.

It’s going to happen though and Jeff has already predicted it would happen by saying "If you’re in this situation the best thing for you to do is to form your own group”.

We will quickly see this happen in the upper tiers where certain well known one trick players are not getting any matches and they will get a warning as to why. It won’t take more than a few games for everyone on their team and the enemy team to set them to avoid and the matchmaker will not know what to do with them.

After that one week is up they have to get with the program and be flexible or put on the outcast list again for another week. If they form their own team that’s good as it’s what people have said they should do, if they change their behavior and can get along with the larger community that’s even better.

If it was abused and they didn’t even remove it until they found out it was being abused then they actually don’t have the data. They pulled the plug entirely because they could not foresee what was happening. As a small project this will be much better and I think community attitudes will change when certain figureheads have extremely long queue times or cannot play comp for days at a time altogether.

this way one tricks won’t get banned, just avoided, than told they are doing it wrong, than banned if they continue doing it…thats what they are trying to do.

It is widowmaker for me…fine in QP…not cool in comp

It was way more than being avoided because you outplayed opponents, here is the original post from Game Director Jeff Kaplan explaining matchmaking and the havoc the original Avoid this Player caused:

You are not playing solo, it’s a team of you plus 5 other random players. Why would any of them trust your random subjective and whimsical reason for blocking people? You’re not trustworthy in this regard and neither is anyone else.

2 players and 7 days is a nice start, lets see how it works out. Just being able to duck the boring wait to queue so you can dodge a player/stack is a nice add to the game.

If a player wants true control of the team they still need to make their own stack. Avoid list is/was/will never been a true fix for bad team work. Only team building tools and bigger/better friends lists of players you want to stack with really fix team play issues.

I try to give everyone a fair chance with their preferred hero, but if its just not working out, I try to encourage them to swap out. Now this tool will handle any stubborn one-tricks of course, but I welcome any player who “mains” a specific hero at the start of every match.

2 Likes