"Avoid as teammate" feature is horrid

If you are being constantly avoided by other players (there has be a lot of people for it to affect waiting times), you might want to alter your behavior.

1 Like

IMO it’s an opportunity to show Blizzard we’re not going to abuse it.

It will force us to recognise the difference between someone who we should block (throwers, trolls) against someone who we want to block (One-Tricks, Poor Hero Choices, people who don’t perform).

Perhaps over time, they may allow us to have more slots for this feature.

2 Likes

Reportable or not, there is currently no way to avoid playing with those people - other than queue dodging, which no one wants to do because that is a serious waste of time.

1 Like

When competitive ctf was around I was trying to go for top 500 but I play from Australia and my region doesn’t have as many high rated players as other regions. In the last week queues shot up from 20 minutes to upto 90 minutes long! I waited in queue for over an hour a few times and had to stop playing because I didn’t get a pop in time. In my last 3 matches the WHOLE enemy team was on their placements and 3 of their team were the same people every time. With this feature I would be unable to play any CTF games in the last week which would knock me off the leaderboard. So yeah dont call it useless because it’s going to be the difference between getting a game and not getting a game in some areas.

If you want messed up queue times be my guest…

They’re going to add more slots if it’s a problem. But it helps filter out if someone’s just got you tilted or if they’re actually a problem.

I run into two types of bad players: ones that get frustrated for a few min and then ones that are genuinely toxic and make me uncomfortable. Will only block people who throw or make direct attacks towards me.

1 Like

i got to gold with ease, sometimes i didnt even do too much
you just stop playing after the 2 defeats in a row and wait for tomorrow

I guess queue times are a bit different around the world and at different levels of play. For me I only have to wait a few seconds for a game currently. I would gladly wait a minute or two if it meant me avoiding every toxic player I have played with during the night.

I get where you’re coming from - however, this feature was removed because there was no cap limit, people blocked good players and as a result they basically never got games.

What region are you in? I’m in Oceania, NA server, and it depends on the mode. Comp can take 2-5 min (I only play at night), QP can take a few min or almost instantly, Arcade takes a lot longer (hour long queues in the morning)

I play in Europe between high gold and high plat. And yes, sometimes I have wait times of up to four minutes, but I mostly get games within a minute. I was not around when the previous system was here so i don’t know how bad it got. I just feel that Blizzard could take steps to prevent abuse of the system, while still giving the players the option to not play with toxic teammates.

Agreed: it need more than 2 players, disagreed: you shouldnt permanently avoid someone, they could have changed to be a better person :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey OP (and others) I posted this in the other avoid players thread and am reposting it here because it may help you gain more insight why a ‘less is more’ system could be better than an infinite or large alternative. (You may not have played Overwatch earlier on but V1 of avoid player was essentially the infinite alternative and it needed to change for good reason) .

Check out Jeff Kaplan’s post in the old forums:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371?page=1#post-3
which goes into one example of how such a system failed.

Regardless, post follows:

Keep in mind, you may need to change the way you look at things if you experience this:

As I don’t think it aligns with most peoples experience of the game. If you still disagree, you may want to consider 6 stacking where you can guarantee you get to play with people you get on with.

There are always alternatives

1 Like

My question is… is it a hard 2 person cap for the 7 days, or can you still add someone to the Avoid Player list and it just bumps the oldest player added off the list?

You have the ability to remove folks from the Avoid Player list, so you’ll have to do that before adding a new 2nd person. It won’t automatically bump someone.

Good enough I guess. I think the system could be better but am grateful for this addition at least.

2 Likes

Here is just one example of two players who I’d like to put on my avoid list forever. Context is that I was playing Pharah and my team wasn’t happy with it. I did have 4 gold medals before I got distracted by their constant bickering in chat:

AceFlick: nice dps
D4rk: …
AceFlick: really nice dps
D4rk: phara
D4rk: n1
D4rk: ty
AceFlick: wp pharah
AceFlick: really
AceFlick: future owl player
D4rk: I can’t do anymore if he refuses to apply logic
D4rk: He is just dumb we can’t win
D4rk: It’s like he didn’t even understand what went wrong
QuantumFlux: What went wrong is that you randomly nanoboosted me while I didn’t have my cooldowns.
QuantumFlux: muting you now
AceFlick: he talks
AceFlick: shame he can’t shoot

While this behaviour is probably not reportable, I don’t want to ever play with these guys again. On European servers every second game is like this.

1 Like

Instancing, match-making and top-down selection kills community…

Battle net used to be about player self-selection, with channels, administration (remember banning people from your battle.net channel?) and communities automatically forming around specific types of gameplay (example: x17 for finding good games).

The lack of player control of community is taking its toll over the years.

Almost all players don’t want a “melting pot”, it’s just the handful of idiotic executives, managers and sycophants (who have long forgotten what it means to be real gamers) who push for it because of the bottom line and agendas at play.

Bad ideas have been ruling over Blizzard since at least the Activision merger, if not longer.

When bad ideas rule, the kingdom goes to crap.

Reality.

You’re in the minority, then. Imagine losing after a 30-minute queue. The tilt would be unreal from the people who feel like they need to avoid multiple people every match, which would be the people with the longest queue times.

Imagine if matchmaking went away and people had to join created games again.

EDIT: StarCraft/Brood War was the epitome of GOOD bnet community as a result of the control that existed in bnet itself for players to form and admin communities.

People had to manually create and join games, giving the player full control of where they socialized and where they played.

EDIT 2: And public channels (and well known player-run communities) still brought random people together.

Yeah, that’d be pretty crazy. That’s the only reason I stopped playing TF2. I loved the game, but it was so hard to find a normal sever with normal maps and no crazy rule changes on it, which is all I want to play.

your right 2 is not enough

good thing the game gives us 3, which is enough :slight_smile: