Avoid this teammate feature

So what is everyones thoughts on this?

Personally, I think it’s a great idea. The problem is though why only 2? Give me an unlimited amount of avoid this player so I can create a better gameplay experience for myself. The 2 avoids will be used probably within the first 2 matches. I wouldn’t mind sitting there 5-10 min waiting for a game, if said game is going to be less toxic and with others who want to actually try to win. I should have the option to not want to play with another player in the game ever again. But you want me to just not have him on my team for a week in which he’ll just be back next week to troll some more and then i’ll have to waste my avoid again…

2 Likes

I am both happy and sad about this feature. The great part is I can avoid literal throwers, but the sad part is as a off meta main, a lot of people will use that feature on me xd

I just don’t understand why they won’t let us have unlimited. I want a better experience when playing this game and it seems like every other game theres some guy in there who hates the world and wants to take it out on everyone else.

I get why they took it away before, people were abusing it and avoiding good players so they wouldnt have to play against them.

Hey Plebster, this is a repost of what I posted in one of the other avoid player threads. The reasoning why not isn’t exhaustive but it does cover some of the reasons why Avoid Player V1.0 was removed and also one of the reasons why 2.0 needs to start off slow. We don’t want them to remove the feature entirely like last time!

This was explained both in the dev update vid by jeff and by scott mercer in the sticky post in general forum.

I like that it is only 2. Someone who plays an off-meta hero probably would not make many player’s top 2. However, if the list was longer it could turn a tool to punish those players.

1 Like

Mainly because if they give unlimited “avoid this person as a teammate” feature, then, people who play off - meta heroes will have a hard time to find a match.

1 Like

So why don’t they put a limit on people at higher tiers like masters and higher because the pool of people is more limited it would cause issues for the match maker. But they should allow unlimited because most of the playerbase is bronze-plat, not to mention if anyone has ever played in those ranks you know how toxic they are so i think we should have unlimited avoid this teammate so we can better our own experience. I also don’t think it would effect match making that much even with unlimited

If they’re worried about having too many avoid player slots for exactly that reason - avoiding weaker teammates so you basically filter yourself into a team of superheroes - isn’t that just admitting the matchmaking is broken? These people should be at your level, aren’t they? I mean especially if the system is keen on actually drawing the same players in back-to-back matches despite the pool of players being so enormous that it realistically should never happen. Is the matchmaking really so well-refined that its for-sure giving you equal teammates or is it actually completely broken?

2 Likes

Yeah but that’s why Jeff said in his dev update that those players will get a warning message to notify that person by saying hey a lot of people dont want to play with you maybe you should do something different

Right… like not play an off-meta hero?

1 Like

That’s also part of the problem “thinking” without given any information to base those opinions on. I’m not suggesting what your saying is wrong, it is just we can’t know as the MM and # of players on a particular server at a particular time at a particular level is hidden from us (for good reason).

1 Like

There are people who play off - meta heroes to be “different”, and there are others who only can play off meta heroes. For those who want to be different, I don’t know what to say. But people like me, if I play heroes like Tracer, soldier, Genji, D.va, Winston, and zen, I will drop all the way to Diamond ~ Master. Then, what is the point of playing the meta heroes if I know by fact that I am bad at those heroes.

2 Likes

I’m in plat and it’s not that it’s giving you equal teammates, sometimes you just get that guy on your team who is angry at the world or from a previous match and decides to pick a character he never ever plays and just dies over and over again and doesn’t care about winning. Those are the people i also want to avoid. OW comp, is supposed to be fun, and teammates are supposed to work together to come to one common goal of winning. But i feel like more than half of my matches has people not in voice chat, no one caring if they win or lose and that’s not competitive…

One more number doesn’t seem like a lot, but it’s huge. It scales up for each player, if you get me.

They want to impliment this system without too many issues.

They said that if there are no problems, then they’ll increase the number.

I was suggesting 3, so 2 is alright in my books and I understand why they made it so.

No one ever told someone not to play something. Some characters are situational so when you have a sym or a torb main who always picks that no matter what it does effect people and games in a negative way.

However, forcing others to play the role that they are not very good at also ruins their experience as well.

This is the breakdown of the playerbase playing overwatch, unkwn how many platforms this includes. But between Bronze-plat that is 86% of the playerbase. I think it would be safe to say that unlimited avoid this teammate in those tiers would probably be fine or maybe give us a 100 or something a month.

Bronze – 8%
Silver – 21%
Gold – 32%
Platinum – 25%
Diamond – 10%
Master – 3%
Grandmaster – 1%

But not in others and I don’t think they can implement this feature differently for different ranks.

I get you, but they don’t want it affecting the higher and lower ends of play and I don’t see how they could make it a different feature for different ranks as it’s a menu feature and not an internal rank feature if you get me.

So go play quickplay and learn other roles? I’m not wizard but i’d say that 1 person not having fun is better than 5 people not having fun. Also if you dont know how to play multiple characters than you shouldnt be playing competitive, sorry.