"Avoid as teammate" feature is horrid

2 players is by far not enough:
Because Blizzard has ignored the problem of toxic players so far, merely bringing out bandaid patches like this one, a lot of non-toxic & just in general friendly players have left the game, fed up with and leaving behind all the trolls, throwers, toxic one trick ponies, sexists and kids with screechy voices. From my nowadays quite limited playtime it seems the game is becoming more and more of a Team Fortress 2, and not in a good way. Whenever I play there’s at least 2 players per match on my team that I would like to never see again. Not because they are bad players, but because they are constantly skirting on the edge of reportability and they make me wanna quit the game for good.

We need permanent avoidance:
Because I very much doubt most players I’d put on that list would change given a full year, much less a single week. If you have to make it temporary give us a way to avoid for longer if we had to put them on the avoid list multiple times.

And to whoever is gonna talk about queue times below this: I’d rather spent a full 30 minutes in skirmish waiting for a single good match than wasting my entire day playing one awful match full of throwers after another.

21 Likes

Preach! This summarizes my feelings on the matter perfectly.

5 Likes

I have comp 30 games played this season. Of that, I had 0 throwers and 2 one-tricks who refused to switch.

Sounds like you just tilt and blame your team too much.

10 Likes

I have over 200 games this season. And I have had a very different experience than you, I think you have just been lucky.

4 Likes

We’re around the same SR, different console though.

I usually don’t play for that long, so I guess people burn out more and get more toxic? I don’t know, I get tilted after 2 losses.

They’re not going to ruin and create an even bigger problem with matchmaking because you’re frustrated with players.

I agree it needs to be more than 2, 5-10 would be wonderful but it’s just reality that they won’t allow people to permanently avoid other players. Outside of griefing or other behaviors that warrant a player being banned they’re not going to allow for widespread matchmaking changes over a few players.

Someone earlier suggested 50 avoids. I can’t even think of 20 people that I literally would not ever want to play with ever again under any circumstances. It’s just there for the very worst examples of player behavior.

This will never happen 'cause people will abuse it

1 Like

honestly i dont care what they do or dont do, im pretty much done with this game only playing arcade with my girlfriend from time to time, just heard the news of this patch and thought i’d weigh in on why it won’t help. but whatever, game got boring anyways

To be fair you have hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game, you have to consider burnout being a factor.

They don’t want people to abuse it the way it is meant to be used. They want a feature like that to be used sparingly and only when you really feel like someone on your team is “throwing” by “leaving teleporters on map edges”

One can easily burn out from the constant toxicity, and not to mention sexism, that is currently present in this game. It FEELS like it has gotten worse over time, maybe it is just me that is getting tired of it, but still feels bad.

The 2 player limit will only benefit top level play where there are way less players. In gold I see people I want to avoid regularly and because there soooooooooooooooooooo many people in gold I never run into the same guy on back to back days let alone a week period. Only at the top level of play will someone bump into another player they don’t want to play with a few times a week or more ( depending on time played )

2 Likes

before that I played 1.7k hours of team fortress, im not that easy to burn out. but as i have grown as a person my tolerance for bullshot has shrunk a lot

4 Likes

This is still reportable and ban worthy. Under the new “gameplay sabotage”.

Reporting will not help you in the short term though. Blizzard can use weeks to take action, this will not help you in your next game, or the one after that.

1 Like

They brought the system back in a highly restricted way because of how abusable it is conceptually.

Lets say you had unlimited permanent avoidance… you would just avoid everyone you deem to be a bad player so they can only show up on the enemy team. So that you would have more steamroll matches in your favor.

Which is just as bad as when it was just Avoid Player where people did it to avoid good players so they would never face them.

Its so abusable that to bring it back it had to be highly restricted… to the point of almost being worthless and with a time limit.

Just clarifying that it’s not a replacement and that person should most definitely still be reported so they can face a ban.

The post about the system even outright says it.

The abuse you describe here, is only a likely consequence if the matchmaking system is poorly created. By avoiding everyone you deem a bad player, you SHOULD get extremly long matchmaking times, rather than a really easy win. Another possible solution for this could be to not let you play against players you had avoided either. (As long as you had already been teamed with them, that is, you could not avoid players you had only played against)

1 Like

time has already proven that the reporting feature does nothing to alleviate general toxicity levels in the game. plus trolls just buy a new account if their old one got banned. at least with avoid as teammate we wouldn’t have to wait for blizzard to take action… but unfortunately the feature is useless :confused:

2 Likes

I mean I can only speak for myself and I’ve never run into a play session where I’ve thought I never want to play with this person again and it’s happened with multiple people in a short time spam

The system is only for the most egregious of actors, even playing with one tricks I can only think of 1-2 from recent memory who I would never want to play with ever again.