As a gay man, I’m not happy

I honestly don’t care whether solider 76 is gay or not. This type of inclusion comes off as pandering and I’m rather insulted. Instead of providing a story of substance and allowing the player to take part on his journey, a character is labeled as gay and thrown to the tawdry social media masses in a vain attempt at approval. You want me to pick up your games? Bring back the quality. This stunt really makes me reconsider why I play these games.

125 Likes

Lot of 0 post forum accounts coming out of the woodwork today

119 Likes

I am gay and I don’t care either way.

24 Likes

As a person, I’m a fish.

40 Likes

LITERALLY what most of the LGBT community has been mass rioting for 2 years to happen, but now that its happened it’s not ‘the right way’ or something?

24 Likes

It’s Dumbledore all over again.

17 Likes

They didn’t pander, they hinted at it 2 years ago…

91 Likes

Oh also can someone put in that pick of Jane Lynch going “but as a lesbian, I’m delighted”? I really need that rn

100% true. That was absolutely 100% UNNECESSARY to make Soldier76 gay.
"The community want some lore? Here, Soldier76 is gay. Happy?"
I’ve never facepalmed so much in my life…

20 Likes

It just continues to show what a talentless hack Michael Chu is as a writer. At this stage, as an author for 25 years, I cringe to even call him a storyteller.

5 Likes

So they announce no LGBT hero and the community complains. They announce an LGBT hero and the community complains. They can’t win huh?

11 Likes

wasn’t Soldier literally the most suspected character to be LGBT+ in some fashion next to Genji prior anyway?

it’s not like they took a character with literally 0 implications of being LGBT+ like Hanzo or Pharah and made them gay.

1 Like

Excuse me, they mentioned it while ana was explaining the personal sacrifices she had to make to keep fighting and then asked 76 about his own sacrifices.

How is that pandering or not a story of substance. I mean I’m not crazy in love with the short story but that part was by far one of the meaningful character “developments” (well u know what I mean) we got in a long time.

20 Likes

I guess they just wanted a full blown cutscene and animated short showing their relationship progress, like basically a movie. That’s the only way they’ll be satisfied. You cant stick 4 sentences in a comic, or a single picture (like for Lena and Emily), that’s not enough in 2019 I guess.

Game’s gotta go M rated and show it

2 Likes

Focusing on balancing the game and adding what is needed < “hey guys, soldier is gay so I hope this makes the lgbt community happy”

3 Likes

Honestly, I just wish he kept things such as McCree and Ashe or 76’s preferences ambiguous and up to interpretation. I am all about LGBT representation and want more. But, like, no need to force it. It does not matter too much, but it is just a joke that this “short” story was probably what he has been working on for nearly 2 years as the script is longer than essentially every animated short and comic combined. Not a huge fan of his work to be honest. I just want narrative developments. Not tidbits and action sequences.

2 Likes

Because only gay men hug one another in that fashion, right?
It is absolutely blatant pandering.

8 Likes

i thought that was tracer.

2 Likes

I’m so confused

What’s going on?

as another gay man, you don’t speak for us and we didn’t ask for your opinion

20 Likes