Argument from assertion on mercy

Another extremely common argument from people who think mercy is balanced is they simply insist it is true because they say so. So many times i have heard people simply repeat the phrase “mercy is balanced” without explaining after i have given my reasons for why i disagree. Saying something over and over again without explaining does not make it true.

Moderation Note: Hey all! To help keep all of the Mercy feedback organized and easy to find, please add your thoughts to our current thread here.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Well, she’s pretty balanced because her pro pickrate is good (much higher than pre-rework) and she’s the second most picked support overall, with a >50% winrate.

The complaint I mostly hear is that she’s boring, not weak.

6 Likes

Do you have any solid evidence saying she is not balanced?

4 Likes

Aside from the fact that past plat her pickrate plummets her on fire rate is terrible and that her ult is too easy to negate?

1 Like

Weren’t you asking for evidence, not opinions?

Mercy is 2nd most picked in Diamond, 3rd most picked in Masters, 4th most picked in GM, and 2nd most picked in OWL pro matches. Her winrate is above 50% in all 3 of those tiers, and she has the 2nd highest healer winrate in GM.

On fire time is arbitrary and has nothing to do with balance.

Valkyrie isn’t as powerful as trance (which is probably the most powerful ult in the game), but it’s easily on par with sound barrier, nano boost, and coalescence. OWL statistics show that current Valkyrie wins fights 53.3% of the time, compared to old rez which only won fights 51.9% of the time (back when mercy had a <10% pro pickrate).

Objectively, Mercy is better than she was before the rework.

5 Likes

First of all, use comas. Second, wasn’t always like that. The only time Mercy would get high on fire rates were whenever they preformed 5 man rezzes, which were “very rare”.

1 Like

Wait…how is Mercy more picked in OWL than all but one of Tracer, D.Va, Winston, and Zen? Did you mean 2nd most picked support?

Sorry, that’s what I meant. All the pickrates I listed are compared with other healers

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s kidding themselves by saying Mercy isn’t balanced. By all reported metrics she is balanced. She has a good winrate, pickrate, she does her job, and people tend to not complain when they have Mercy on their team. Her on fire metric affects nothing, and plenty of other characters, especially in the support section, also don’t have great on fire metrics.

I think people are confusing concrete numbers with how she feels to play. While her ult and Rez not feeling great is a problem, it’s not like it affects her actual numbers. Nor does it mean that she needs changes more than other heroes who have more serious balance problems. It’s a problem, but it’s not a “drop everything” problem.

I zipped around healing people 85% of the time before the rework, and I still do that after the rework. Complaining about the other 15% of the time being not as fun is bordering on a nitpick. Especially considering the amount of problems that plague the rest of the cast. It’s not like the devs are doing nothing. We’re getting a Hanzo rework, a Sym rework, Mei changes, and a bunch of other stuff.

1 Like

Ignoring explanations and repeating that nobody has given an explaination, doesn’t make that true either.

Furthermore, why would you argue that she needs a buff without yourself being required to show compelling evidence?

Her pickrate in higher ranks is very low compared to lucio, zen, moira only ana beats her on low pickrate for healers.

Only at Masters and GM, which makes up less than 2% of the population. You know who has a lower pickrate than Mercy at that level? Slightly under 2/3 of the roster. On top of that Mercy was used less at higher ranks before her rework, even taking out the months where she was OP.

If you think Mercy needs changes then fine. But don’t pretend she’s underpowered when she’s not.

1 Like

I’ve got a couple stat sites that back up my claim of her being balanced.

You people are the ones who just keep repeating “she’s not balanced” despite no actual argument to back it up and expect it to suddenly become truth via repetition.

1 Like

Yet i have given evidence that it is otherwise multiple times and people ignore it because its not what they want to hear.

Right, what is this fantastical evidence that refutes the fact that she is the third most picked hero in both the average comp game and the OWL, especially when she was considered, at best, D tier before?

1 Like

Since when does Mercy’s pick-rate “plummet” past platinum rank? Jeff Kaplan released data on the top ten most picked heroes for each skill tier with data from the beginning of Season 9.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/trickle-down-meta-isnt-real/21021/5

As you can see from this, Mercy is:
The second most played hero overall in Bronze.
The third most played hero overall in Silver.
The third most played hero overall in Gold.
The third most played hero overall in Platinum.
The fourth most played hero overall in Diamond.
The third most played hero overall in Master.
And finally, the eight most played hero overall in Grandmaster.

Looking at her lowest pick-rate out of the top ten in each skill tier, which is in eighth postion in Grandmaster, that’s still really high. Might I ask where you got the evidence that “Mercy’s pick-rate plummets past platinum”?

Even if we look at Overbuff, you can see that Mercy’s pick-rates are the following for this week:
Bronze: 9.25% (Third highest pick-rate)
Silver: 10.00% (Second highest pick-rate)
Gold: 9.43% (Second highest pick-rate)
Platinum: 8.36% (Third highest pick-rate)
Diamond: 7.91% (Third highest pick-rate)
Master: 7.74% (Fifth highest pick-rate)
Grandmaster: 6.36% (Seventh highest pick-rate)

Mercy’s ultimate isn’t weak. Like Dalas120 said, Valkyrie wins team-fights 53.3% of the time compared to her old ultimate only won fights 51.9% of the time. Mercy’s ultimate doesn’t have the raw team sustainability of Zenyatta’s Transcendence perhaps, but that’s because Mercy makes up for that in terms of outright pure consistency in her healing which has zero downtime. Mercy also has some of the best mobility out of any of the supports. Mercy is overall one of the most balanced heroes in the game right now in terms of performance at all ranks and in terms of statistics - whether she is fun or not is a whole different topic. Personally I think Mercy is one of the most boring heroes in the entire game. I don’t deny that Valkyrie is basically the same as entering a spectate mode for a while, but each to their own.

Want evidence? Here’s just a comparison of Valkyrie vs Mass Resurrect. This isn’t even including the fact that Mercy now has Resurrect on cooldown and bunny hop.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/at-a-high-level-valkyrie-resurrect/64787?

2 Likes

If you use the first 15 letters of the title you get where the opposite arguments come from.