Are we getting a scoreboard?

Don’t worry, I’m sure we’re next as well.

“You think you want scoreboards … but you dont” , can you imagine? :joy:

2 Likes

and how exactly is that worse than the guy who does nothing and says he has 5 gold medals?

1 Like

I will never understand the hesitation towards a scoreboard in Overwatch.
I’ll use Paladins for an example here because its similar.

When you finish a match in Paladins there is a scoreboard displaying everyone on your team and enemy team’s damage, healing, shielding, kills, assists, deaths and the like.
There have been multiple instances where I thought someone wasn’t doing their job and then I check the scoreboard and realise they had something like top damage on our team or they healed for 40k more than our second healer.
It also lets ME cross reference my stats with the rest of the people in the game, and I can see whether I was doing my job or whether I was lacking, or performing well. I can take that information and apply it to the next game that I play.

Yes, you can see a scoreboard and go “wow x did terrible what an a-hole.”
Once you see the scoreboard the game is over. You move on. You can’t report someone for being bad, and the comms are already no longer there to be had, so you can’t insult someone for it unless you hunt them down to message them.

In Overwatch you could use the scoreboard to see who on your team was genuinely the cause of your loss or win, and you could avoid people accordingly. You could report people for throwing as with stats it would be more obvious to tell such as a DPS with no damage done on purpose.

The argument against scoreboard is “people will use it for toxicity”. Then have the scoreboard pop up AFTER THE GAME IS DONE. That way you can’t be yelled at in the voice chat or text chat.

On top of that this combined with private profiles could improve the state of the game even just a little bit. If someone has a private profile and instalocks Widow, and you think they aren’t doing anything all game and then you get to the end of it, see the scoreboard and see the outdamaged your entire team and enemy team, then you’ll be like “oh well they actually did really good, I shouldn’t have assumed they were going to be bad” (assuming you actually have a soul).

People are so scared of the potential toxicity it would bring forth when this game is already a cesspit.
It cannot get worse I don’t think people realise this. People are false reported until banned for playing the hero they like. People are screeched at for playing a hero that’s not in the meta. People are verbally abused for their gender or the way their voice sounds or because they made one mistake.
There’s no point being scared about toxicity that would come with a scoreboard.
That toxicity is going to be in the game with or without one.

At least with a scoreboard you could see where you were wrong. You could use the scoreboard to improve yourself.

6 Likes

would you be ok having torbjorn always first on that score board

It would breed toxicity, which in the end could potentially lower sales and league watch time, so they’ll never add it. This isn’t the game for it.

Any good player knows who’s the weak link anyway. They also know when they are the weak link. What a scoreboard would do would just inform the lower ranks who don’t keep track of the killfeed and don’t understand just by looking at a support or tank when they are misplaying their role.

It’s only in the lower ranks to mid ranks that these stupid wars over who’s the dead weight on the team start and it’s always targetted at dps and that is becaaaaaause…

Our current scoreboard only matters to dps. It gives a skewed vision of the game. If you haven’t the experience to evaluate (objectively) your teamates and your own performance at what they are supposed to be doing on your role you only have the elim and damage stat to look at.

A lot of low to mid rank players don’t understand that having gold damage doesn’t mean you’re doing good in ow. They don’t understand that a hanzo with 30 kills and 3 deaths but bronze damage and 70% solo kills is doing more than the mcree going 1.5 to one k/d and sits at choke points for ages spamming damage killing no one and charging enemy ults.

I played some low plat games the other night and abused this lack of understanding from these players. After killing most of the team there would be times i’d let an enemy take 200 health or so off me just to get free support charge. He’d peek at the choke trying to kill me and we stayed ahead on ults the entire game.

The answer is on the same post. Lets see if you have what it takes to watch the video

……or I’m a sports fan (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc.)

I read their points and those are pretty weak reasons to not design a scoreboard.

1 Like

And a scoreboard would not show you what’s going on. All people would aim for is to get stats which don’t show your contribution. You can have top damage and top elims and not do anything, while the guy on the bottom is the reason a teamfight that got the point was won.

3 Likes

The number one piece of info missing from what we already have is DEATHS.

If a main tank has good objective time/dmg blocked and isn’t dying a lot, they are contributing satisfactorily.

If a DPS has good damage/elims/final blows and aren’t dying a lot, they are contributing satisfactorily.

If a primary support has good healing and aren’t dying a lot, they are contributing satisfactorily.

If the flankers and the “off” heroes have good elims:death, they are contributing satisfactorily.

Above that, a scoreboard helps your team to PLAN and STRATEGIZE in this team game. If we had a proper one, it’s much easier to point out the enemy strong points and your own teams weaknesses in order to rally and come up with a new plan of attack if what you are doing isn’t working.

1 Like

the lack of scoreboard was a design choice cause of snowflakes

But also the initial idea was to force you to talk to your teammates aswell

alot of good that did

also why they banned pursuit cause it gave you a scoreboard after and you could see who fed all game and threw

turn on kill feed and watch the game. U will see who is throwing

2 Likes

no really it wouldnt if anything it would lessen toxicity

most lash out when they can’t see anything dying

Because they don’t have the info the dps players have

A detailed score board shows more than just eliminations and damage. We already have that and it’s crap. You can be the worst player on the team and get a gold medal.

Lol, this is the only place people will try to convince you that having more information is a bad thing. Lack of information is what causes toxicity and finger pointing.
A scoreboard won’t solve everything but it will be much much better than what we have now. Being in the dark about most of what’s happening in the game sucks.
All because a small group of people are worried about their feelings being hurt. Come on now.

2 Likes

Because the best way to keep baddies playing your game is to hide from them the fact that they’re baddies.

The people who suck at the game or the plethora who believe they’re better than they really are will have to stare reality in the face as their performance is objectified in front of their eyes.

Then they’ll quit playing = less money. It’s all about that safe-space mentality to keep players.

I mean, imagine being a [Hero main] player with 200+ hours on them, only to read each games scoreboard telling them they still suck at them. They’d quit playing. Realizing you’re awful at something is the fastest way to make you want to quit.

3 Likes

I definitely think that scoreboard would be really healthy for the game and reduce toxicity since everybody in this game knows that statistics are only a part of what everybody contributes to the team. This was different over a year ago when the game was relatively fresh, but it’s not the same thing anymore. Will some players focus on those statistics? Yes they will and their MMR will drop to some degree due to having a naive view of the game which can hinder their gameplay, but that’s another good learning curve for new players. Everybody understands that statistics don’t tell the whole picture in every other competitive game so it’s absurd to expect OW players to be any different.

I’ll second any scoreboards or anything that involves me using information and my brain to gain an advantage in the game as it should be induced and rewarded.

1 Like

Damage and eliminations were just an example. The same goes for everything. Accuracy, people spam shots randomly all of the time, and pressure people behind corners. Ultimates hit, McCrees just use it to reload. Healing, all depends on your teammates. Damage blocked, Reinhardt needs to manage his barrier and not constantly stay in the front and have it destroyed all of the time. Literally any stat can be misinterpreted. Then you have some heroes like Lucio who’s contribution you can’t measure with speed boost.

Blizzard said themselves that in Overwatch contribution cannot be measured through stats.

3 Likes

If winning and losing is going to be the only thing that matters for climbing, I see no much point in having one.

I really don’t care about anyone else or to flame others. I want a score board so it can help me improve. I want more details in MY gameplay other than what I interpret in game. The more info I can get to help me, the better.
The problem lies in people looking at a helpful tool only in a negative way. Why is that? Because you would probably do it yourself to others. I’m focused in the positives not the negatives.
Like I said before, the problem with this game is that it’s always someone else’s fault and never your own. You are stuck in your rank because of others or other factors and never your own play. Guess why people think this way?
LACK OF INFORMATION.

1 Like