Error Applying Update - Unknown Error

This new update wont even allow me to go into the shooting range or tutorial stage. Any kind of game mode it just says error applying update and then kicks me out of the game under client request. I tried everything listed as options on the more information tab and none of this has helped. I even uninstalled the game and re installed it with the original disc I bought. Nothings working funny thing is that the game didn’t do this on the day it was updated or after just on the 20th and further. Any suggestions other then quitting Overwatch?

2 Likes

if you cant even get into the game i guess youll have to wait till we get a blue response, then do whatever they need us to do to help figure the overall problem out. =/

1 Like

I had this problem a few days ago, it started working again randomly, and now it just started happening again. I’ll try to submit my logs.

I had a normal match before being kicked out by this bug.

This is what has worked as a temporary fix for me:

BUT it seems like it will only work for however long I play the game. The second I close the game and relaunch the bug persists.

1 Like

Ok
played five comp matches after trying double fix

1, mentioned above: join Practise range before searching any real game, message about update appears only one time
2. patch host file. I posted it above with link to reddit. One line with proper ip-address of Blizzard hotfix server
Solution from Reddit user SrySrySrySry
Edited by Blizzard: Removed mention of editing hosts file. While this may work around this in some cases, it may cause worse issues down the road if we change hosts. This is an advanced step that most users should avoid.

Which IP address has to be used? Bc the one mentioned in this post isn’t valid.

Now I’m not sure if changing the file affects much
But Practice range test helps a lot more :wink:

Later I restarted the game and received an Error -5 on the Practice range entry. This drove into the login screen. I entered the game, but something broke at this entrance. For example, some menu items were unavailable and it was impossible to enter any match. It looks like there was no connection to the server

Another sign of the problem of connecting to the server: the hero does not say anything when selecting him on the Practise range :rofl:

After restarting the game, I received a standard (only one) message about updating the game before Practise range. Then I chose a competitive game and without any problems played another match. It was a European server. I’ll check the American a little later :globe_with_meridians:

2 Likes

My problem is that I can’t start any match, regardless of being qp, custom, arcade, practice or tutorial. I tried hundred times, no exception, always disconnected.

4 Likes

Okay, this worked for me oddly enough.
I just jumped into a random custom game and it fixed the issue.
Let me know if it works!

This happened to me twice and It’s banned me from comp twice now, this time it was 30 minutes. I can’t fix the issue and I can’t predict when it will not allow me to join a game. I’m not trying to get suspended from comp for the whole season.

1 Like

any updates from tech blues?

1 Like

same man it sucks dont it

same my game when I click to get into a match says applying update then crashes and says unknown error -5

1 Like

Ok
tested NA server too with Practise Range entries before matches and patching host file
Game works fine here too, just message about update appears once at first Range entry :wink:

1 Like

We are waiting devs to fix this bug, when they are enjoying their weekend🤔.

1 Like

had this issue this morning, then went back into game later on and it was fine. i think this issue is intermittent and on blizzards end.

1 Like

Also looking for problem solving issue. I couldn’t even spectate my team playing last night >.>

1 Like

I’m still having issues. Been three days already. Any updates??

4 Likes

Blizzard don’t care us because we have paid before for the game, and all devs are working on OW2.

1 Like