"Applying update" error and then I get banned

Hello, when I’m looking for a queue in overwatch and it finds a game, it stays on the loading screen with a message that says: “Applying update”. It doesn’t let me do anything, and in 10 minutes I still haven’t loaded anything. The problem with this is that it’s the second time it’s happened to me in a competitive game and when I leave the game (because it gets stuck on that loading screen), and I re-enter it, it counts me as having abandoned the game and they apply a penalty. . It could be a connection problem but it also happens to my partner at the same time as to me when we go in a squad so I would rule that out.

39 Likes

The same has happened to me.
Yesterday 15 minutes of ban, today 40.
And no response from support.

4 Likes

It also happened to me and i got banned 15 minutes too. I hope they fix that issue quickly

5 Likes

Same here, yesterday i was banned for 15 minutes, and the issue come today too and i’m ban for 1 hour. When the screen loading, i can’t do anything.
I don’t know if it’s related, but the issue seems to come when you’re in the heros gallery or in the battle pass menu at the same time as you’ve found a game.

4 Likes

wtf blizzard 1 hour suspended !!!

4 Likes

This happened to me too, in two separate days of playing Overwatch 2. The first day is, I queue for role competitive, then get stuck in “Applying Update.” So I had to forcefully close the game. When I opened the game, I was banned for 15 minutes. So I waited for the 15 minutes to expire. Then I play for a bit, after the match, I turn off my PC. Then played again a few minutes later, only to be greeted by the same “Applying Update” screen. And again, I got banned, this time for 30 minutes. Ain’t no way I’m waiting 30 minutes and staring blankly on my screen. So I turned my PC off. Few hours later, I open my pc, hoping to play some Overwatch, and surprise surprise, I’m yet again stuck with “Applying Update.” This time, am banned for 2 hours.

So I stopped playing Overwatch for a few days all together because of this. And today, I tried to play Overwatch with my brother, and both of us got greeted by “Applying Update” at the same time. He got banned for 2 hours, and I got banned for 8 hours. FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! This began happening after the latest update. Never happened to me before.

P.s. not an internet connection problem nor is it hardware related. We can play just fine in Valorant and Dota 2. without any problem whatsoever. This is just an issue specific to when playing Overwatch 2.

2 Likes

It just happened to me as well and now I’m being banned from rank match

1 Like

Same issue here first 15 min penalty than Applying update than 1h penalty

It’s happened to me twice in a week. I don’t even wanna play at this point if i keep getting suspended for something that’s out of my control

1 Like

Same issue. My previous comment got deleted out of nowhere while I’m directly staring at it, what in the world?

Anyways. This keeps happening to me for a week now I think.

Day 1: Play overwatch 2. I queue. Stuck in “Applying Update” screen, so I had to forcefully exit Overwatch 2. Banned for 15 minutes. Wait 15 minutes for ban to expire. I play a bit. Exit Overwatch 2 after the match. I play Overwatch 2 again after a bit. I queue. Stuck in “Applying Update” screen again. Forcefully exit again. Open Overwatch 2. Greeted by ban for 30 minutes. Turn off Overwatch 2. A few hours later, I open Overwatch. I queue again. Stuck in “Applying Update” screen again. I forcefully exit. Banned for 2 hours. Mind you, my brother in the same network as I am, can play just fine. Definitely not network issue. I stopped playing for a few days because of this.

Day 2 (today; just a few minutes ago): I queue up. I play with my brother. Both of us were greeted by “Applying Update” screen. We had to forcefully close the game. We relaunch the game, and I was greeted by 8 hour ban, and my brother was greeted by 2 hour ban. Definitely not hardware related nor network related.

We can play other games just fine. This only happens with Overwatch.

4 Likes

Same experience. Twice in a week. I stopped playing for a few days the first instance. I play again today, only to be greeted by the same problem and then get suspended for it. A problem that isn’t even within my control. Just about the last straw, lost interest to play altogether.

1 Like

this has happen 4 times with me now and now im hit with a 20hr ban…and i try and to a ticket but they want all this stupid info like bruh just let me talk with someone to unban me…why hasnt this been fixed yet

3 Likes

Same thing just happened to me.

1 Like

++, happened to me twice in past 2 days

Happened to me i was master 1 got into a game kicked me out for 15min then for a hour went 5-1 put me to master 5 because of elaving game

Join the training range before joining a real match whenever you start Overwatch.

Same here. I can back it up with video.
Video showing bug (sorry about the music)
Plus I understand that now leaving a game (in ranked) stays in your history forever so I would appreciate it if this penalty can be reversed.

2 Likes

Same happened to me, after waiting for 10 minutes on the applying updates screen I closed my game and was permanently banned from competitive for the season. I contacted support and was told to come here but I don’t really know what to do here

3 Likes

Happens to me too. Just got 1 hour ban

1 Like

lol happened to me too twice, now im banned for the whole of season 4

1 Like