Applying Update bug

banned for a day. so pissed. this never happened till recently. got to play another game i guess.

Yep having the same problem here. I can enter the game if I close Overwatch and reboot the game, but by that point, itā€™s already too late and the leaver countdown already began

Hereā€™s the response I got. Which I canā€™t say what in depth review they took up but i can confirm as the person who was playing when it happened- I just never loaded in.
I tried to screen record what happened the second time. The next time Iā€™ll try and capture it as well.

Thank you for contacting us about the suspension in your account. We have done several in depth checks in order to determine this activity and we have confirmed that you have taken part on these activities. After personally reviewing the case, I see that these actions are correct and therefore the suspension has not been added in error.

We regret having to take these measures. However we want to keep the game as fair and clean as we can for everybody and make it so every player in the game is under the same conditions. We consider integrity of the game to come over anything else, and its one of our top priorities.

Thank you for the time youā€™ve taken to write about this. I hope this message clears up the confusion a bit. That being said, we stand firm on our decision to suspend the account and such penalty will not be removed or reviewed further.

Have a good day and best of luck in the future

Iā€™ve been trying to have a support ticket that tech support keeps closing, claiming no such issue exists or has ever been reported. all over reddit are people complaining about this being a widespread issue and it is currently unsafe to play ranked as there is no way to stop the issue once it has started.

youā€™ll queue for ranked, join, ā€œapplying updateā€ will appear, never go away, even if you close the game immediately, by the time you reload the game, the lobby is closed and youā€™ve been hit with a leaver penalty.

there is no avoiding or predicting this issue, rebooting the game after every match doesnā€™t avoid the issue either as it can occur with the first match after launch as well.

their current official response is to simply keep playing because thereā€™s ā€œno such issueā€ and then get perma banned from comp. thatā€™s their actual advice through at least 3 tickets and theyā€™ve threatened account termination if I ask them about it again, so Iā€™m posting this here. Iā€™ll probably copy and paste this a few times into a few of these issues I find because reddit is the only place where people seem to be allowed to talk about it or at least willing to, not sure if theyā€™re deleting these threads. But I have personally been hit with this bug, stopped playing immediately and opened a ticket and got told ā€œget over it, thereā€™s no bug, you got punished for being a bad person and will be punished more if you continue to ask for help in the ticketsā€

so to spread awareness, do not play comp until they patch out the bug, for your own sake to everyone. quick play is fine, since thereā€™s no leaver penalty. but be aware, if you see the ā€œapplying updateā€ screen, your game is hard locked and must be closed. no amount of waiting is going to resolve it or have anything magically happen, your game has locked itself up and can no longer function so either alt F4, close your application on your console or whatever else you need to do, but donā€™t bother waiting on that screen.

thereā€™s no way to save yourself from the leaver penalty when this happens and no way to prevent it or predict it, so to save your accounts, stay out of ranked or take your chances. I stopped after 1 suspension, most people were not so lucky.

seems like I canā€™t just copy and paste huh? If just adding this to end works, Iā€™ll likely get banned. Iā€™d like to help people, but Iā€™m already under threat from blizzard, Iā€™d rather not get banned so maybe 2 posts, if this one works, I guess will be my limit.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s an easy way for me to stop spending any money on the game. In fact, NOBODY should spend anymore money on this unless we are compensated in some way.

1 Like

Same here, now im out for 8 Hours, was wondering if the forum knows more, now i know, sucks, leaver penality for stuck in update screen, nice :no_mouth:

Good news, the Applying Update bug has been addressed by a community manager. Link here: [Main Thread] Applying Update - #148 by Joynueer.

same here, im banned for one hour. fix it plz