Applying Update bug

This happened to me, but just if I or other player selects Lifeweaver, even if I play in casual or Practice Range

Just happened to me too. 15 minute suspension, didn’t even make it into the game, pretty annoying.

Blizzard need to address this publicly and fix it ASAP

2 Likes

Same now I’m suspended help please

2 Likes

Yes I have had the same problem and have had it 3 times in two days resulting in me being banned for over a day. Joke!!!

2 Likes

3 times in one day. Definitely unfair SR loss and 8 hours banned. If its not fixed whats the point of playing the game?

2 Likes

I have the second time in two days, as well. I tried to report it but it’s a joke. I’ve put quite a bit of money into this game over the years and now I’m banned for an hour?! I NEVER leave games. This is some garbage. Fix your game!

EDIT: And now, this explains why I have had so many leavers at the beginning of matches the past 2 days.

2 Likes

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here’s a link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

1 Like

Hello all I want to chime in here because I am also getting this bug. Last night upon entering game stuck on loading screen until suddenly ban for inactivity 15 mins. This morning turned on the xbox made sure everything was properly updated and same thing happened on my first attempt to login. 1 hour ban. We shouldn’t be banned for the game failing nor have battle pass xp lost nor mmr lost nor bans for a problem with the game.

2 Likes

had the exact same issue, has stopped me from ranking up a number of times and really leaves a sour taste in my mouth about the game in general, please fix immediately.

1 Like

Same. Plz fix. Hit with 8 hour ban.

1 Like

Happened to me and a friend three times in the past two days, got an hour ban right now.

1 Like

what everyone above said ^ I am now at an 8 hour suspension due to this applying update BS. The has never happened to me in the past until the past 2-3 days… Why are we supposed to take an unfair hit to our rank due to developers’ negligence and lack of testing? just take off the suspension, bring back the rank, and close down ranked until this issue is resolved. otherwise this is going to continue to impact everyone and more above in the thread, the fan base is already taking hits, dont let this bug continue to drive down more fans. Even im on the verge of just uninstalling and finding something similar to overwatch to play in my free time. I put a ticket in for this, I do hope something useful can be done

Same here, i got a loss in competive because of the bug

I am also having this issue. Blizzard please respond with an official response or disable competitive until this resolved.

1 Like

Same here currently on an hour suspension for queuing for a game I didnt want to play.

yep same here.
also endosement lvl dopped too.

This has so far happened when I’ve first loaded up the game on my Xbox Series X and then the first competitive game I join winds up not proceeding into the match and says it’s applying an update and spins endlessly. Then when I close the game entirely I end up with a competitive penalty for it.

Here is what they said… from support named: Rainmithwen he didnt even bother to answer the 2nd part of my question and just marked the ticket as resolved… couldnt even reply to this guy at all… so professional man

Greetings

I understand that Overwatch is having an issue with applying updates which is causing issues while trying to play matches. I understand how frustrating it can be when the game servers have been hotfixed, but your game client hasn’t been patched yet. Our team is currently investigating this problem, and we have received reports of it. In the meantime, please try these steps to see if they help:

Join the practice range to pick up the update.
Close and restart Overwatch.
Confirm the issue is resolved by joining an unranked game.

Please know that Customer Support is unable to remove any penalties or revert any loss of rank. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused, and we appreciate your patience while our developers work to resolve it.

Here is my chat with Blizzard:

You: Hello
Sliotha:

Hello and welcome to Blizzard Live Chat Support. I’m Sliotha. How can I be of assistance?

You: Yesterday I ran into that Applying Updates bug 3 times and took 3 losses on my OW2 account. Can those losses be retracted and when will the bug be fixed?
Sliotha:

Sadly there is no way to change your game stats

Sliotha:

The message is due to your game client applying a hotfix

Sliotha:

We have some steps you can try in our support article here: “link”

You: I already restarted my client and computer and this doesn’t work
Sliotha:

The steps in the article go beyond restarting your client

You: If the issue persists, delete the following temporary files: Press Windows key + R Type %localappdata%\ and press ok Open the Blizzard Entertainment Folder Delete the Overwatch folder Make sure your game is up to date by selecting Check for Updates from the Options menu in the Blizzard app. Close all other applications to resolve software conflicts and free up resources. Try creating a new administrator account to resolve permissions issues.
You: those steps you mean?
Sliotha:

We have been getting reports of players encountering the Applying Updates message and it has been brought to the attention of the development team. We have no further information at this time

Sliotha:

Yes

You: I will try that but what happens if this persists and my account gets banned for the season?
Sliotha:

I recommend that you avoid competitive games until you are no longer getting the applying updates message

Sliotha:

Leaver penalties cannot be removed, so unless the development team decides to change something in the future, a season ban would stick

You: Huh? so I have two questions then. 1) How iwill i know if there is an applying updates issue unless I start a comp round? 2) so will the moneyI spent on a battle pass for that season be refunded?
Sliotha:

Launch non-competitive modes and practice sessions to test for the updates message

Sliotha:

A Battle Pass would not be refunded

You: that would be a breach of contract if your bug caused that problem and there was no refund
Sliotha:

The message you are receiving is a common message any time the game is applying hotfixes. We have not been informed of any bug with this right now. Unless the development team comes to us with a change, that is our position. I have advised that you avoid joining competitive games until you are confident you are no longer encountering it so you can avoid getting a competitive ban

You: you guys should be aware of this because the forums are filled with posts about this issue. the only reason i play this game is for the comp play but it seems the position you guys have is “oh well”.
Sliotha:

We are aware of the posts, and as I have said earlier, it has been brought to the attention of the development team

Sliotha:

If they find there is a problem needing to be addressed, they will do that. We have no other information beyond what I have said in this chat

You: got it, thanks
Sliotha:

No problem.

Sliotha:

Hopefully you won’t run into ant problems like that, and the update will get properly applied for you

Sliotha:

Have a good day!

1 Like

This has happened to me twice today and its frustrating getting suspended for something I didnt even do. The bugs have gotten ridiculous with teammates always leaving cause of this reason too. Blizzard needs to get this fixed and they should compensate for what has happened cause its unfair to everyone, especially those of us who paid for things within the game too.