Apex Legends has one mechanic that could help OW

I second this. It’s even fun with two randoms tbh. I’ve hated all BR games before this, but Apex is genuinely fun and a nice change from the toxic attitude prevalent in OW.

Why not? Its not like we are not in the far future where i couldnt atleast mark 1 enemy i see with constant pressing the ping button to show the exact location i have seen them.

That barely makes any sense, dude. Do you also hate standard free for all deathmatch games too?

We get it man, you hate BR games, don’t want any aspect of them in Overwatch and you need to post this in every topic concerning Apex Legends in anyway shape or form.
If that’s all you have to contribute to the discussion I suggest you go elsewhere and accept that not everyone shares your opinion.

I read this with Moira’s voice, lol

2 Likes

So… I’ve played AL some more with one friend today. This game gets soo much right that OW needs. The more I play it, the more I realize how lackluster and slowly OW has developed over the years… I mean, I love the game and keep trying to play it. But after almost 3 years of low ranks playing the game wrong it seems like most have gone in an autopilot mode every match, all match.

The ping system is just too good to pass on. The excuse of ‘OW is too fast paced for it to work’ is BS if you ask me. I had matches of AL where I was in the midst of enemy ults, a teammate basically pinged a locatio to tell us to withdraw to, shield raised, healed, pinged an enemy flanking us, we ganked him and closed on the rest of his squad right after.

We turned a mostly lost battle around mostly through pings. You get signals like ‘dude, don’t engage, fall back etc.’ Ib OW being able to send a shrill sound with a small visual sign could help some people realize they shouldn’t engage. Again, let’s not forget most people DON’T join Voice chat.

AND: I use voice chat but I am terrible at giving quivk precise coms. Example: X attavking us from right side… wth does that even mean? To my teammates? Nothing.
But if I can ping a corner and say: X is there (insert ping). Now everyone knows where it actually is.

There are so many benefits to a smartly implemented ping system and it would be a shame to miss out on it because we think it will give to much visual clutter. I mean… you can modify the opacity and colors of all these elements, you can adjust to make it so it doesn’t trouble your FOV to much.

People are so focused on vehemently disagreeinv for the sake of disagreeing that people don’t even want to consider more than 5 min how many benefits it can actually bring.

Because it completely undermines the wallhack mechanics.

Like area shooters like quake and doom, as well as any multiplayer with skilled based matchmaking, Battle royal and shooter where they just throw everyone together regardless of skill is bad game design and takes out any strict competativeness

The begining of your post proves that your low rank (and mine too i am gold) is we are playing the game wrong, tjats our problem not overwatch, as we learn to play properly we will climb, i am a slow learner so took me 9 seasons of hard work to reach gold, getting better in a competative enviroment is not suppose to be easy, it is suppose to take hard work and lots of practice

Allow me to show and teach you a concept: It’s a strange word called ‘fun’. Ever heard of it?

Most battle royal games aim first and foremost to be FUN, not competitive. If BR games need to get 60-100 players together who ALL have similar skill rating then you would be spending hours upon hours just waiting for one match.

And let me add another thing: there’s another game that kind of doesn’t care about your rank but is a competitive game: Smash ultimate. In this game too you will be matched with far stronger players. But then there’s two alternatives of seeing that matchmaking.

One could be a tilted little guy, sorry for assuming, but i guess you do fall in that cathegory, and say ‘wah! Matchmaking is broken! It’s not fun getting to play against stronger players and that’s why I lose!’, or you could say ‘hey! That was pretty smart what he did! And man I played poorly here, should work on that’.

So while BR games indeed can’t get a proper ranked system, it can still be competitive and the best part about that? It’s that the casuals will be the first to get elimmed and don’t bother everyone else’s experience. And people who learn to be slightly careful can still win. I mean I won my third match in AL and I still was learning the controls.

I legit disliked ALL battle royal games, and still even AL is not the best game ever by a long shot. It is playable to me. What I don’t like about it is the constant 5-10min per match where you’re just preparing for the wmin of fight that will eventually happen. Maybe even just 15s. But just straight out being anti for the sake of… I don’t even know why, is ridiculous.

That’s fanboyism at it’s strongest. And the fact that after spending 9 seasons in OW you still believe the game works is beyond me. I wish I could be this gullible.

So what your telling me if you were on a highschool sports team and to move up in rank of teams in a tourny you had to play a college varsity team making it impossible to win, you would be ok with that? Well i am not when the other team or person has an extreme advantage at winning what is the point of playing you might as well forfit cause they are going to win

Wow… there’s really people like you. Man that blows. How can you be so optimistic about OW and yet such a let down for the rest of your attitude?

Will I be able to win against a college team? Obviously not! But for me it will be a win if I can score even just once. For the first time. Maybe a few buckets next time. And always observe what they do and improve on it. With that attitude I’m even surprised you climbed out of any rank without just dumb sheer luck.

I don’t even know how you’re supposed to get thrpugh life in general with such a garbage attitude. If you want to make it anywhere in life, never give up, be hungry and fight, always, no matter the odds.

Seeing people with that attitude makes me legit sad.

I have a very solid hatred for the BR formula but apex is really fun to me, and a large part of why is that I can effectively communicate with randoms without talking to them. Nobody types, very few people talk, but we all still know where enemies are, where they’re coming from, what sightlines we’re watching, and it’s amazing.

1 Like

The features APEX has is what we are asking for years for OW but did Blizzard care? No… all they cared about is to make better esport features for moderators etc. while the core playerbase is beeing ignored. I mean… that game is 3 years old and we still dont have a focus ping on an target. Oh i forgot, we dont need it since everyone on earth is speaking flawlessly english right? Oh wait… And we still wait for a simple focus-ping feature…

Amen to that… as a european, voice chat is basically inexistant feature. Arab? Check. russian? Check. German? Check. French? Check. Spanish? Check. Portuguese? Check. Italian? Check. And let’s not forget english of course which surprisingly few countries seem to have enough knowledge of.

So yeah voice chat is pretty much useless.

Wow you are living is a fantasy world, one point is not a win you still got completely destroyed and if you feel good about losing so badly then you really have your head in the clouds bud, time to come dont to reality you got completely wrecked by a team rhat you should never have be put against

Yeah… Go check out LoL if you want to see what that looks like. Good god.

I think the only way something like that could work in OW, is having a character that mainly functioned to mark enemies quickly.

1 Like

I was going to write a post about how Apex uses the community wheel.

You can ping items but also mark where you saw enimes, places you’re heading, places you’re watching (And a ton of other options but they don’t get used much)

It is truly amazing, however. Apex is a 3 person game. That’s a BR so you’re looking at a full 360 and traveling long distances.

Do you really thing it would be the same if 6 people where all trying to mark things that are basically always infront of you?

You also don’t mark enemies, you place the marker where you saw them. In Overwatch which is fast game. Are you really going to be able to line up on the person you want marked that’s at low health?

The group up call-out I feel does need work, people don’t really look at that chat so it’s easily missed. And it’s often hard to find who’s actually calling it.

But I feel displays on the screen might get a bit too much. I don’t think this kind of thing can be transferred to Overwatch.

Blizzard has shown us from the number of times that WoW has taken a mod’s features and integrated it into the base game that they aren’t afraid to lift a good idea when they see one. So why not this one?

I’d like to see the comms wheel we have now split into two seperate ones.

One for social interactions:

Hi
Thanks
Sorry
Good Job
Affirmative/Yes
Negative/No
Shocked
Quip/default voice line

One for Callouts:

Group Up
Ultimate Charge
Need Healing
Need Backup
Attack
Retreat
Watch Out
[ I don’t know what to put here ]

You could then combine the ping system with the callout wheel. Pinging an area with “Watch Out” would turn into a callout warning of a flanker, and so on.