Anyone else miss the old rank icons?

I found the OW1 rank icons easier to understand and cooler. The diamond icon was a real shiny diamond.

The new icons are confusing and despite having 3500+ hours in comp, I find them difficult and hard to understand.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

36 Likes

The amount of profiles I’ve opened to just ask myself “wtf even is that?”

You know the new icons suck when you have to do a google image search every time just to find out what they mean

18 Likes

Orrrr… you just have bad memory and struggle memorizing them. Seriously it’s not that hard.

1 Like

You’re not alone. The new ones are terrible design. They’re completely unreadable.
Symbols are absolutely useless if nobody knows what they mean lol. We shouldn’t have to google image search OW2 rank symbols any time we want to identify one. What’s the bloody point? It’s so stupid.

5 Likes

I bet you love the new google logos too. :face_vomiting:

Those are simple and clean too, nice looking as well.

I haven’t had a problem memorizing the new icons

But I definitely feel the older icons were far more intuitive and easier to understand at a glance.

It doesn’t help that particular icons have completely changed color (master going to green), and that the color between some icons is deceptively close.

The old icons look like what the current icons would get replaced with to be more visually clear and nicer to look at - rather than the opposite.

Again I have no particular problem with the new ones, but I definitely prefer the old ones.

4 Likes

bro… :clown_face:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

1 Like

I have stopped playing comp due to flashpoint, after s9 I was like this is not fun anymore for me to waste time.

2 Likes

When you’ve been used to the same ones since 2016 it takes a bit to adjust

1 Like

why is masters that ugly jade

4 Likes

OW1 icons were better, if you mean those.

Though the worst thing imo is that they decided to use these weird color coded icons in profiles that are entirely different from the actual rank icons. It took me weeks to remember that green is masters and purple is GM. That green masters icon could just as well be plat or diamond, it’s so bad. Blue is diamond, right? Or plat? I forgor.

It’s not only bad because they look awful, it’s so annoying to remember which is which.

3 Likes

It took me a bit memorize but they’re fine

Companies made design with shadows and 3d effects to show off design and technology improvement. Nobody cares anymore and it’s not novel so most of them stopped. Logical change, and they look better now. I also happen to like product sans as a typface.

Except the patreon logo. Idk what they were cooking with that one

I never even noticed Blizzard changed them and I’m a casual player. I guess that’s your answer for majority of the playerbase.

Then check your eyes. ^^

Do you honestly expect casual players to have photographic memory of a rank icon?

Yeah… oO

2 Likes

Why do I bother…
:man_facepalming:

The icons in the comp section legend don’t even match the ones the profile properly.

They’re a mess. They changed them for the sake of change, but the old ones looked way better and were easier to identify at a single glance.

4 Likes