Another "rendering device has been lost" thread

I’ve followed the suggestions in every thread about this, and it’s still occurring. It’s getting to where I can’t even get through a single game. I’d hate to give up this game but I’m not about to buy a new GPU (currently using an R9 290x) for it, especially when it seems to be happening with nVidia as well. I’m lost.

3 Likes

I highly recommend sending in a ticket directly to Blizzard regarding this. They gave me a long list of things to do and it fixed the issue and have not had issues with it since.

Howdy Jatonplauge!

Make sure for your AMD Radeon R9 200 Series that your drivers are fully updated to the latest version directly from AMD.

If the issue continues I agree with putting in a ticket.

That will be the next step.

I did try to play at 75% render scale last night and it didn’t crash once. But that’s a band-aid, it’s too much of an eye sore.

Any updates? I’m iffy about updating my drivers until I know for sure I won’t have to just roll them back again

The only fix I’ve found is dropping my render scale to 75. It looks blurry and awful but I can get through a whole game, at least. This is beyond frustrating.

1 Like

jatonplague,

Reducing render scale below 100% we don’t feel is a proper fix either. If the driver update didn’t fix it, and reducing render scale works around it reliably, it probably means the crashes are happening when your PC is overstressed. I’m seeing all of your crashes are higher at higher temps on our end. (79 C +) - while this isn’t unheard of for your brand of video card, it may mean your CPU is overheating. I’d clean the PC of dust. (If you’re on a laptop, use a gentle vacuum, not canned air. Canned air pushes dust further into laptop vents. It also may not hurt to invest in a cooling pad.)

If it doesn’t work, run HWmonitor while playing until you experience a crash. After the crash, check for overheating of the CPU/GPU. If the temps are still too high, you may need to take the PC to a tech to inspect the heat hardware and make sure nothing’s failing.

If you don’t see overheating, take screenshots of all the data in the HWMonitor test, (make sure to scroll up/down to get everything) and upload it to an image hosting site, and send us the links here. The forums may not allow you to direct link, but you can replace the dots with {dot} and we’ll translate it/check it out for you.

So I am curious; If these can run at these temps and do for other games why does it crash for Overwatch only. This happens to me all the time, lose SR for it etc. Please. Help me understand.

Does something in the overwatch game know my cpu gets to a temp and crashes it on purpose? My cpu runs others games on ultra, and I run this game on literally 75% render and the lowest possible settings. I am just trying to understand this unbelievably frustrating issue that is ONLY with Overwatch that has been around since season 3.

Chara,

If you need help with your unique issue, you’ll need to create your own thread with some information on what you’ve tried and a DXDiag. These types of issues have a ton of causes, and overheating is not the only possible culprit. The troubleshooting I’m giving here is specifically for the OP’s situation and shouldn’t be expected to fix your situation unless by chance you both have the same issue. If your PC happens to be overheating, you need to get that resolved.

By the by, the “Rendering Device Lost” error is a result of an intentional Windows function which attempts to protect your PC from instability. It’s impossible for a game alone to cause this kind of issue, though we do what we can to help players mitigate it when we find issues. You can read more about it here.

My computer handles higher temps on more graphically intense games without doing this. This is literally the only game doing it and it started around November of so. It’s pretty clear of dust. I’m at a loss.

2 Likes

jatonplague,

What kind of numbers did you see in the max column after running that HWmonitor test, particularly for the CPU? Can you get us screenshot of the CPU/GPU temps and clock speeds right after the crash happens? You can upload those somewhere and link them here. (You may not be able to post links yet based on your forum reputation, but if you have problems just replace periods with {DOT} and we’ll check them out.)

I don’t even know what forum reputation is, but I’ll grab it next time I have a crash.

this just happened to me, I had to reboot to fix despite playing perfectly fine a few hours before

I took my computer apart and cleaned out the dust really well, and re-ran some of the cables because my organization skills are lacking when it comes to any sort of cable management.

After running a few DMs, my temp was showing at 79 max. No crashes yet. Here’s hoping.

Glad things seem better. Fingers crossed, keeping an eye on this - keep us updated!

1 Like

Alas, the crash happened. This time I had my rendering up to 150, which is what I always ran it at prior to November or so before this started to happen with the Moira patch (I believe)

imgur com/Th0x2Kt

1 Like

Did you happen to also get a screenshot of the data at the top? The GPU’s looking pretty solid - though it does look like there’s a slight to moderate overclock on it, depending on exactly what model of r9 200 it is. You can check this page for the intended clock speed near the bottom and use something like MSI Afterburner/EVGA PrecisionX to set it back to default clock speed.

290X Lightning. I’ll run another game at 150 and try to grab the top.

Sounds good. Did you ever update those drivers? There was a known bug with older versions of AMD drivers that should have been fixed with the more recent ones. I just realized we never confirmed if that happened.

imgur com/GcPOhh1

Yeah. I did update my drivers. I updated them, rolled them back, wiped them and installed fresh, pretty much everything possible.