Another "rendering device has been lost" thread

Perfect. All those temps were fine - but did the crash actually happen with that last game? The data’s kind of not useful unless we reproduce the crash. Other than that, can you get us a copy of your DxDiag using these instructions? Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post using the “Code” button (</>). This will give me some more information which I can use to dig deeper into this case.?

Yes, that was a crash. Putting the render up to 150 pretty much guarantees I’ll only get through about 4 minutes of a match before it crashes so it’s at least predictable. Hang on, I’ll get the DxDiag.

edit: pastebin com/1MMZRZ2t

Okay, unfortunately not a huge amount of info in this. The rendering device lost codes windows are giving are the generic kind, and we ruled out hardware overheating. Let’s make sure to disable the overclock on your GPU - it’s slight but it’s still something that could lead to instability. According to the page I linked earlier you should be capping out at 1000 MHz and you’re hitting 1080 MHz, indicating a slight overclock. If you didn’t do it yourself, you can use one of the programs I mentioned earlier to try to fix it.

The last things I can think of without getting you to put in a ticket is doing a total driver clean and reinstall with Display Driver Uninstaller and closing absolutely everything other than the game itself while playing. Since you’ve done several driver updates/rollbacks/etc, we want to make sure nothing corrupted got left behind.

1. Download, but do not install the most recent driver for your graphics card from AMD.
  2. Download Display Driver Uninstaller from The Wagnard Mobile Forum. (Click “Official Download Here” near the bottom of Wagnard’s first post. It will automatically download)
  3. Run the Display Driver Uninstaller file you downloaded and “extract” it to desktop
  4. On your desktop, click “Display Driver Uninstaller” and run it. Do not run in safe mode.
  5. Click “Clean and Restart”
  6. After restart, install the driver that we downloaded above in step 1.

If none of this handles it, your best bet is likely going to be hitting us up live - we can use your MSInfo file to look into more options for you - but we don’t want to upload that here because it’s a ton of info. If that’s where you go, make sure to link this thread so people can see what you’ve already tried.

I set the clock speed to 1000mhz and managed to make it through a full game (McCree DM, so fun). Hopefully this is the magic fix.

Hey jaton, did u fixed it?

Nope. It was okay for a few days, because I capped the frames at 128. I got greedy and tried to do 144 and it crashed again.

Jatonplague,

Just saw this, sorry it’s still happening. Honestly everything you’re describing here honestly sounds like some kind of system over stress, most likely at the GPU level. You’ve done just about everything you can do for that particular piece of hardware. Do you happen to have another decent GPU lying around somewhere that might be able to push these high frame rates, even at Low graphics settings? If so I’d be curious if it goes away when you swap graphics cards, uninstall the old drivers, and reinstall the latest drivers for the other GPU.

I know that’s something of an ask but with everything you’ve said so far your best bet is likely going to be having someone mess with the hardware. We can’t really support that directly since it’s dangerous to work on the inside of a PC yourself, but a local PC tech can test the hardware if you explain all the stuff we’ve done together, maybe swap around components to see if a different R9 290x works. If it does you may just be able to RMA the other one as defective.

I mean, I know it’s likely due to the gpu. I’m comfortable changing it and I know you can’t really recommend it. I think I have a GeForce 750ti laying around somewhere. My soul is screaming at this.

I have a really hard time believing it’s a hardware problem, though. Witcher 3 stresses my system far more and it’s never crashed. That game turns my computer into a jet engine and I’m surprised it hasn’t made my computer explode.

I have tried a lot to fix this issue and also tried every available ‘fix’ out there: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/rendering-device-lost-may-2018/107676/5.

Make sure your ram timings are correct by enabling XMP

Many Ryzen users reported not being able to achieve a memory frequency above 3000mhz. Mine is @ 2933mhz and I disabled XMP. Makes sense, the only thing that has remained the same between two builds (in 3 years time) is my memory. I thought everything was okay until I had almost two years of random ‘rendering device lost’ errors.

I now enabled the XMP profile @ 2933mhz (this may vary for you) and it all seems fixed =… Please post back with your findings!