Another PTR cycle, the same forgotten robot đŸ˜„

I never mean any offence, but
 why would i play Bastion if Bastion was a glorified Soldier 76, just with extra steps between shooting rockets, and a heavy weight during his ult? (Which wouldn’t even aim bot, and would probably get me killed anyways)

That just doesn’t sound like Bastion.

Seriously here.

The problem is, like, even I can’t work out what to do with Bastion. It’s all very well being upset with Blizzard, but, damn I wouldn’t know what to do with him in their shoes.

We could start with some buffs, but ultimately we need a plan, and I have no idea what Bastion SHOULD look like at the end of this apart from “viable” which while nice, it’s exactly a blueprint.

2 Likes

Allow me to explain in a very harsh and blunt way.

Sometimes, the Bastion is going to need to be able to kill you.
Plain and simple.

You cannot balance a hero based on how easy it should be to kill them with every single other hero.

Sounds reasonable to me.

How do we translate that into buff / nerf / rework balance speak?

I think we could do a LOT more with bastion IF there was a cooldown / timer on Sentry.

I know, it is a big change, but, FROM that we can do quite a lot with him.

3 Likes

Well, I had a whole thread (that didn’t gain any traction whatsoever unfortunately) but it detailed everything and had numbers. I included the return of Bastion’s barrier from beta, with its health at 900 or so. I don’t really remember all that I wrote.

1 Like

I still plan on supporting my own proposed changes, since i believe that they wouldn’t be as incredibly amazingly powerful as people think, when added up together.

I believe it would be balanced across the ranks as well, punishing poor play and rewarding better play.

[New year, new Bastion. đŸ€–]

This is a part of why i never gave hard numbers in my proposed rework

A 900 hp barrier would call forth the torches and pitchforks faster than Doomfist does nowadays.

I only play him in MH, but even then his weaknesses are easy to abuse.

I’m not the biggest fan of Bastion (stationary playstyles aren’t my favourite) but his existence is his downfall.

I was assuming they’d do something like decrease the time it takes to set up turret mode and allow him to get up faster, especially now that shields are weaker, but nothing.

The funny part is, they already did this during the first botched rework.
Then, they nerfed him into the ground as “Compensation”

1 Like

Yeah, I know people would whine about a barrier. That’s what Junkrat is for though. Isn’t this game all about switching and countering anyway? I even went as far as to disable Self-Repair in the ultimate to compensate. If people don’t like it but they refuse to counter it that’s on them.

1 Like

Bastion needs a complete rework.

Sitting there holding down left click while sitting behind a shield is boring gameplay. And any buffs will make him completely OP, especially in the lower ranks.

6 Likes

Lets try this by the numbers. Go though hero interactions, and situation interactions.

I THINK I can see a way forward.

They would whine about a barrier with 900 hp, since that’s more than some Tanks have nowadays.

But would they whine about a barrier with 500 hp, on a stationary target?

I think he would still die enough, especially when strategy and good plays are made, that it wouldn’t pose a significant issue.

You are still allowed to live long enough to actually set up?

lucky

And no, i don’t take this as an answer.
No one plays Bastion like they used to, and if you play Bastion in a stationary way for longer than burning through a clip or two before moving, you’re playing incorrectly.

1 Like

Yes, Bastion would die easily, but that is also why I wanted to increase the DPS of the turret, so you become a temporary, immobile but fragile powerhouse. No need for pocketing with barriers or damage boost, Bastion doesn’t need it to do work anymore, nor will it be a “throw pick” on Attack.

1 Like

Exactly, as i also proposed, lowering the ammo to 150, or hell
 even 100.
Allowing headshots, and tightening spread.

Make him hit HARD for a short time.

1 Like

Which is why no one plays him anymore. Weakened shields make him too vulnerable now. And if you play too mobile you’re better off playing another DPS.

3 Likes

Yes please. The spread on that gun is just so awfully punishing
 and for such a bad hero, at least statistically.

1 Like

The point, everyone.

The point.

Shield, higher dps, higher sustain.

Bastion doesn’t need “Compensation nerfs” anymore. His weaknesses already outweigh most buffs you could even give him.

Imagine saying “Nerf Bastion” in 2020
 lol, please help Bastion, Blizzard. Don’t you think that seeing this hero underperforming in all ranks is just a bit alarming?

Read your post - You are a genius.
Lets mash some concepts together.

Ok, New Bastion. I’m going to not talk numbers but concepts.

Barrier with some health when in sentry. So, once you are set up you are “safeish” from the people you are firing at, but, gives flankers a chance.

Remove Ironclad to help with that. Flankers GOTTA have that sweet sweet chance.

After ammo has run out, you are BOOTED from sentry mode, you gotta get up and walk around a bit, it loads ammo in the background, it may not ACTUALLY boot you, but you get no more ammo until you do
 This stops you pirate shipping all day, which is the problem around balance.

This means we can make the sentry gun on him REAL mean.

His new play will walk around the edges of the field, until he gets that lovely sight line on something which needs a bit of killing.

He does the killing, now he had to get up and move, giving the counterplay a chance.

2 Likes