Another mercy thread

AHA. Bet you didn’t see this coming. issa joke

Basically, I did some talking with a friend last night and solidified an idea for a small-scale rework of Mercy’s kit in order to increase how involved you are with the fight, reapplied the core focus of her healer archetype, and would hopefully be far more interesting than current Mercy.

basically making this thread to link from now on when people say “how do you rework mercy without making her OP ecksdee”

The Reverts
break
break

• Healing is reverted to 60 HPS or met in the middle at 55 HPS.
    break

Healing would be raised because Mercy is the dedicated healer archetype. Her main purpose in a fight is to keep everyone up! By either reverting or meeting in the middle, she’s allowed to continue as the primary healer.

This rework concept doesn’t include mass rez because there’s plenty of better threads with a better premise than mine presenting mass rez as an ultimate. Go read those if you want good mass rez reworks!

The Base Kit Changes
break
break

• Rez is removed from non-Valkyrie play.
    break

• A new E is put in place. There are several options:

1. E is a heals over time ability. About the same amount as a regular beam or lower for a longer duration (probably lasting 2-3 seconds, depending on the heal amount), which allows her to either double down heals on one target or heal two targets at the same time. The cooldown does not start until the ability completes. The cooldown would be relatively high.
    2. E is a cleanse ability that negates CC for a limited amount of time. (2-3 seconds, approx.) The cooldown does not start until the ability completes. The cooldown for this ability would be relatively high as well. This is to mitigate the recent influx of CC and will add complexity to her kit. It returns the element of predicting to her kit.
      break

The Valkyrie Changes
break

This is where things get spicy.
break

• Valkyrie no longer has chain healing and is a single target beam. This violates Mercy’s design as a single target healer. A small scale ability is one thing, but a long duration is quite another.
    break
  • Valkyrie’s beams are now mixes of damage and heals. Healing beam would provide more healing with a small damage boost (think significantly less than a normal damage beam, but still a mix), and vice versa for Damage beam. The primary amounts would remain about the same, if not slightly higher, while the secondary is a percentage of the primary. This encourages combining ultimates with other riskier DPS and Tank ults, while allowing it still to be used as a healing ultimate.
    break
  • Mercy is allowed one charge of rez while in Valkyrie. This way, rez is merely a bonus and can be used to change team fights if needed-- but otherwise there is not an incentive to hold ult for a solo rez. It would maintain the same restrictions. You could activate by pressing Q again.

break
break

Keep in mind that I’m not a game developer, but this is something I’d like to see in the future myself. This allows Mercy to keep Rez while allowing her to focus on heals above all else. It gives some complexity and different play styles with her kit but allows room for nerfs or buffs.

I wanted to present something different that felt more unique and would be fun.

if Rez is going to be attained only in Valk the cast time has to be at least cut in half
other then that I like your premise go for it
here’s a potential E that could help fix mroe then one problem at once

Biotic Shield: Blocks anywhere from 20% to 50% incoming damage and makes one immune to all negative effects for 2 seconds. this ability targets the beam target or Mercy herself if she dosen’t have a beam target.

Rez shouldn’t be locked behind Valkyrie. It encourages holding onto the Ult just for Rez and it was said a while back that the devs didn’t want that.

I don’t see the point of locking Rez behind Valk, why not just make Rez her ult? Mass Rez isn’t the only way Rez can be the ultimate.

Seems like a huge buff whatever that E ability will be.

did you never hear about tempo rez

You need to be more specific. Tempo Rez in Valk or tempo Rez in Ult Rez?

I’ve heard of both, and I’m glad that excessive rezzes were removed - now people are comfortable using Valkyrie the way it was intended.

I’ve been a fan of nuking rez altogether at this point in favor of her having an interesting E. The first example I gave is kind of boring-- I’d far prefer a cleanse ability!

I feel like your idea would be neat as well-- it’d be cool to have an applicable damage reduction ability. Every other one is tied to a hero’s personal kit or otherwise. I like it especially as someone who plays main tank, LOL.

Rez shouldn’t be locked behind Valkyrie. It encourages holding onto the Ult just for Rez and it was said a while back that the devs didn’t want that.
I don’t see the point of locking Rez behind Valk, why not just make Rez her ult? Mass Rez isn’t the only way Rez can be the ultimate.

For some reason I can’t quote you-- sorry! I don’t think Valkyrie with my suggested changes would be held on the basis that it can be extremely useful. Mercy has always lacked the option to work together with her time-- and while Valk now is viable to combine with ults like Genji’s dragonblade, you only see that at specific levels!

Not necessarily! Theoretically, if we put it at 10 seconds (like other utility E abilities), you could use it just short of three times for every hero you could be rezzing-- that said, teamfights are quick and the lack of rez available in teamfights would cement that. You’d be lucky if you could use the ability three times before the completion of the fight!

TL;DR of my post
The devs never said in their developer comments that they were against Valk being used for Rez and even at one point during the PTR they scrapped the idea of removing rez’ bonus charge in favour of the cast time nerf

I’m gonna go ahead and say Titanium’s E ability, Pacify, is an ideal E ability for Mercy. Many find Mercy boring and low skill (aside from her lock on) because of the fact that Mercy mostly engages only her teammates and almost never the enemy. Pacify, as Titanium explained, would be a histcan ability that reduces the damage capability of the enemy. It gives Mercy a reason to interact with the enemy without dealing damage and staying true to her lore.

Cleanse is nice and all but I think a future hero can have that. The concept of Pacify giving Mercy interaction with the enemy is really nice as it gives Mercy more reason to stay in the battlefield and gives her a much engaging playstyle

I do like Titanium’s pacify too! I just didn’t want to rip them off

1 Like

Hahaha you can just quote that section if you want. Quoting pretty much gives them credit for the idea since it links back to their original thread :slight_smile: