An idea for reaper's TP

What would you think if Reaper was able to teleport thro walls?

No, It would cause all sorts of unintended bugs and map exploits.

Id rather buff wraith form to be able to have verticality and fly as a ghost cloud in any direction (like seen in many animations) and replace shadow step with a new offensive ability with mid range, like a grenade launcher or something cool that allows reaper to burst targets at 15 mts range.

Wraith form would be a lot more powerful like this but you would only have this one movement ability and it can be balanced on the cooldown, furthermore itd be a great ability to set up more reliable ultimates as well. It excites me to think what kind of new ability reaper can have to compliment the rest of his kit once you get rid of the clunky and boring shadow step.

3 Likes

Disagree with both OP and this post.

Putting the job of Shadowstep on Wraith form will not do Reaper any favours. Wraith form already has enough burdens as a baiting ability, reload cancelling ability, minor speed boost, and disengage ability. Adding in positioning, and you either make the skill absolutely useless, since it cannot manage so many duties with a 8-second cooldown, or decrease the cooldown which makes it absolutely overpowered (you would have invulnerability every 5-6 seconds).

In addition, Reaper is a very one-sided character. He’s good at point blank and horrid against anything that isn’t within kissing distance. Giving him an ability to “burst targets at 15 meters range” doesn’t do anything–if you’re playing him properly, you are not looking to fight targets at 15 meters range consistently any more than you’re looking to get kills with firestrike when playing Reinhardt. Unless you decide to lower his new ability’s cooldown to the point where he can use it consistently to get kills, in which case he becomes a mini-Roadhog. Not exactly useful either.

As for OP’s suggestion, it’s simply not what Reaper is lacking. Never mind that Reaper would teleport to all new unintended locations, Reaper’s entire design isn’t in that of a flanker or harasser. He doesn’t need to sneak around like Genji, and he wouldn’t benefit from it any way. Even if Reaper can teleport through walls, the visual and audio noise would force Reaper to teleport very far away, in which case he would waste a lot of time heading back for a flank.

Oh btw, 31 meters isn’t exactly a long range either. You wouldn’t get much of it out of TP’ing through the wall anyways

I disagree with your post, Reaper spread is so large that anything past 10 meters just barely gets tickled specially if it has armor. Playing him “properly” means finding a way to stand in the enemy’s face only to roll the dice on your critical shots beause of the bugged way the pellets are programmed in which none of your pellets hit the head or all of them hit the head, theres no inbetween with his shotgun, which means even at point blank you could be missing a lot of damage depending on how lucky you get with the spread pattern.
More info here:

So if you cant hit your targets from 10+ range and point blank isnt consistent what is left for this hero? shadow step? can you really not come up with any improvement for this hero?

I was already wondering if I should offer some counter suggestions as oppose to simply criticising everyone present, but getting out of the toilet seemed more important at the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m aware of the headshotting problem with Reaper, and I also have a few personal ideas for improving him:

Firstly, for shadowstep, since that appears to be the point of this post:

1) Reduce shadowstep audio cues by 50% more, if not removing entirely.
2) Reducing shadowstep cooldown by 4 seconds (10s to 6s)
3) Reduce shadowstep cast time by at least 1 second.
4) Reworking shadowstep’s targeting mechanism–generally prefer something like meteor strike’s targeting HUD.
5) Increase cast distance by 10 meters (35m-45m)
It’s quite clear what I am aiming for–a mobility ability that is usable in combat, is far more stealthy, and no longer countered by fences. That in my opinion is what Reaper really needs.

As for the other aspects of Reaper,
6) Rework the headshot mechanism.
Make it so that each pellet registers individually. This is a quality of life improvement that should have been implemented long ago anyways, and the fact that it still hasn’t been dealt with is a testament to how lazy the developers are.

7) Reduce spread by 10-20%.
Reaper’s spread is hilariously huge. He needs to win close quarters, not have close quarters reliant on RNG. This way, Reaper is a lot more consistent at point blank and mildly more of a threat at close to mid range, but still ineffective at anything past that.

8) Reduce hitbox
Reaper’s hitbox is too big for the range he operates in. This lets him catch all kinds of random spam that isn’t intended for him.

9) Reaper now treats armor as normal hp
That in my opinion is the perfect solution to both Reaper and the excessive amounts of armor rolling around the place. Reaper will finally have his niche of busting tanks restored, and armor will finally have a decent counter. Brigitte won’t be in as dire need of a rework or nerf, and coupling with all the above changes, Reaper will finally (?) be useful

3 Likes

I’d like for them to entertain the idea of using Wrath Form during Shadowstep or vice versa. Teleporting away during Wraith Form could make Shadowstep a viable escape, or using Wraith Form at the end would prevent you from being instantly fragged during that moment of vulnerability as you finish teleporting. It also gives the player a choice in that he has to decide if he wants to use both cooldowns at once or if he’d be better off saving one.

I’ve heard an awesome suggestion to make shadowstep work like meteor strike, but without the damage. It would likely need to have a slower in/out animation though! :+1: