An expansion pack MIGHT be coming to Ow!

Continuing the discussion from I dont like developer silence:

According to Jeff, Blizzard has their hands tied with ‘top secret’ matters they are not allowed to discuss. My speculation is a potential story or some sort of expansion DLC, since there isn’t really one right now. What do you guys think?

[Title edited by Forum Moderator for caps.]

1 Like

As long as it gives me EXP or loot, I want that.

1 Like

That ‘top secret’ stuff is most likely going to be:

• New Map
  • New Hero
  • Chinese New Year Event
  • The next ‘Archives’ event (which is the only actual NEW event we get each year)
2 Likes

Unlikely. Story mode is an enormous undertaking beyond the events they’ve already made. I would expect a few more such events, and perhaps some wave defense modes, but the story is always going to come as bits and pieces via other content.

they mentioned new maps and heroes weren’t part of this

Couldn’t care less. So many things I’d rather have than a stupid story mode.

The top secret things could be literally anything tbh.

It could be some sort of single player mode, it could be new social features like guilds, it could be the Roadhog x Torbjorn fanfiction narrated by Jeff we’ve all be waiting for, who knows.

But I don’t think single player is as likely as people think. Single player campaigns take a lot of work, especially when you put as much care into map design and sound as the Overwatch team does. If it ever does happen, it would probably be a standalone game or expensive DLC, not just something that gets patched in.

2 Likes

It’s more likely that it would be OWL related than anything else then. Also they may be doing more promotions and charity events like pink Mercy.

New maps, heroes, and future event support (skins etc.) was already covered. That leaves Archives, which only fills one “top secret” slot.

All the more reason to add a story mode :wink:

More like… isometric version of Overwatch coming to mobile. lol

Okay, just kidding. As others have suggested, it’s probably just a large combination of materials, and possible slow shift to an eventual expansion for the near future.

I suspect that they’re working on an official OW expansion pack.

Jeff’s recent post has described the dev team in a “heads down mode”, which sounds a lot like the crunch time devs face when they they’re trying to get a huge project done in a relatively short amount of time.

He’s outright told us that they’re working on not one, but several “super secret projects”

Papa Jeff released a video earlier in the year explaining that seasonal events won’t get as much dev resources because they’re “really busy with balance stuff”. Seeing as balance changes are included in the content drought, it’s reasonable to assume that these redirected dev resources are being pointed at the “super secret project”.

Over the last few months, several interviews with high level devs over the past few months have come with placating statements along the lines of “we’re working on something BIG, and once it comes out fans will be much more understanding of the content drought because this thing we’re working on is so BIG”

The question is, what would be in an Overwatch expansion?

My first guess is an item system (sort of like what TF2 has), a role queue, and an overhaul to the tutorial/training range.

Even a year-round PVE Horde Mode would be enough, like TF2’s Mann Vs. Machine mode. Just don’t have it be one single map like Junkenstein’s Tedium, I mean Revenge.

They might also be working a new chicken soup recipe.

They could also be making some sort of movie

it’s a new skin for 20$, my bet is

I highly doubt it. It will just be a crappy new social feature that they hype up to be amazing that will be useless and no one will care about after a week.

Remember how much they played up endorsements and LFG…yeeeeeaaaaah.

Iiiiiit’s a mobile game! \( ̄▽ ̄)/

Finally, Overwatch can be the true waifu simulator it was meant to be.

…did they though?

tbf, I still value those features to this day

Top secret might mean a character who isn’t in the game at all. It might mean a direct cross-over character from another one of their games (or another developer game’s entirely). It might mean an entirely new game mode with 1 or 2 maps to start off. A Guild feature… Anything new and a big deal.

Anyway, would an expansion pack really be the worst thing? They do not charge us for their online play. We spent 10 to 60 dollars for all this content and we’ve been getting everything added to it for free after that 1 payment. I wouldn’t throw a hissy fit if they decided to do a 20-40 dollar Part II expansion that featured maps for free and any new side-features like guilds. But allowed people who bought the expansion to get access to 5-8 characters. Along with skins for the purchase of the expansion (like the OW preorder or special edition).

If OW has the longevity of LoL or WoW… Then… We’re going to be going towards 50+ characters at some point. Making people pay to use them would be a nice way to ensure revenue/longevity/stability/development/etc. Even though gamers (who are entitled by nature) will see it as the greatest betrayal ever.