AMA responses Feb 21

I still think it’s it’s a good idea, if my assumptions about a lack of Support players was correct.
My assumptions about the facts just happened to be wrong.

1 Like

So once again they’re changing a hero that’s mediocre without Mercy because Mercy makes them overbearing, instead of just nerfing damage boost. Glad to see nothing changes in that department.

I like the other answers though.

5 Likes

But, don’t you see the danger of suggesting such wild changes to balance based on an assumption of a problem that doesn’t exist?

Like, I told you probably a dozen times that you’re creating solutions to problems that aren’t real, and that would actually ruin the game, not improve it. And yet your posts continued based on the same false assumption

If the devs know the facts, then what’s the danger?

I don’t really accept the idea that I can’t give feedback on a videogame, unless I’m psychic and all-knowing.

4 Likes

im gonan be honest i feek there is no hope for the game the so called latest patch is garbage i seen delay in sonem ults that shouldnt be happening

The Experimental Card was much more useful in the past when the patches were further apart (months vs weeks).

The experimental card was not a PTR to test real changes, it was for experiments. As with the rest of the game, they still have no idea this is supposed to be fun and not just a spreadsheet.

One of the core pillars we have when developing a new hero is Counterplay in Mind. Heroes should have clear strengths and weaknesses as well as space for situational upside. Some of our recent heroes may have been doing too many things well on launch without those weaknesses to offset their strengths.

This answer is so frustrating. “Some” of our recent heroes – that is, out of 4 total. I’d argue at least 2 (Kiriko and Sojourn), so that’s half of the new heroes. Half isn’t “some.”

may have been doing too many things well on launch

What do you mean “on launch”? Have those heroes been reworked while I wasn’t looking? They have not suddenly gotten more “counterable.” If they were problematic “on launch,” then they are still problematic now.

Magnetic Grenade is rather flat in what it does

I don’t understand why this has to go into the game for them to figure it out. Here’s a good rule of thumb for the OW team – no more generic grenades! When you need a new ability, and someone suggests a grenade, maybe ask for another suggestion for a change.

we do suspect that some aspects of OW2 can lead to the game feeling more one-sided than OW1 did in some cases.

leavers

getting back-spawned or spawn killed if your spawn room just shut down

So, with the game feeling extremely one-sided to many players, they identified only these two issues? I’m not sure I have any other choice but to accept that they have no idea why the games are one-sided now, because those two reasons are not nearly sufficient to explain the terrible match quality we are getting.

our ability to predict outcomes and make the best matches we can remain unchanged

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Since our other disciplines are working on so many things, such a change may not happen the next season or even the season after – it’s dependent on how big your ask is, how much lead time design is giving the affected teams, how much bandwidth those teams have, and ultimately how high of a priority the change is. That process can take anywhere from a month to 6 months, so we have to be forward looking and work together constantly in order to deliver new things to the community in a timely manner.

Again, I ask into the void – SO WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE A LIVE SERVICE GAME??? If a hero requires a rework, that’s obviously a big deal. But it’s somehow not a big enough deal that it needs to happen within 6 months of the decision being made? I do not understand this logic, at all.

2 Likes

2 hours later and no answer though :skull:

12 Likes

For starters thank you for bothering OP and salvaging the QnA for us <3 . I tried but it was very tiredful to try and find where the devs replied.

I think, on such matters like QnA AMA, the system should only allow the main comments + answers from the AMA creators (the OW devs for example). The sub-comments from randoms who wish to open a conversation with the main question/ comment of the redditor to the Devs, create a messy/ chaotic situation.

I joined that “x” Reddit AMA to read Community Questions and Answers from the devs. No random opinions and conversations from the people who wish to comment under others’ questions.

I think that will help the creators of AMAs as well. They will just see the Community Questions and they will pick easily where they want to reply.

This is so pedantic :joy:

1 Like

seeing some more responses…give me a sec ill update this

I sometimes wonder how insane you people find the communities balancing ideas. And, do you balance with upcoming heroes in mind?

**Josh (Lead Balance Designer - Blizzard) — **

I love seeing the community engagement since it means players are passionate about the game. There are many great ideas that generate discussion for us or at least help inform us of the current community sentiments. The downside is that it can be disappointing for them when they don’t see their suggestions directly take effect in game and wonder why we aren’t using their perfectly calculated solutions.

Many players don’t consider the game balance ecosystem as a whole and focus almost entirely on their own experience with a particular hero and how to make that one hero stronger or feel better to play, which doesn’t always align with our goals as designers or what the stats imply about the current balance. There are always tons of other limiting factors like tech/schedule/implementation considerations players aren’t aware of so you really can’t fault anyone there.

For the second part of the question, we do think about upcoming heroes or changes and how they relate to the current roster. The recent examples being we didn’t make changes to Roadhog who was underperforming because we knew Kiriko cleanse could potentially make him more viable (it did) and that Junkerqueen ultimate was going to be really strong without the cleanse as well.

Hey guys, throughout my time playing Overwatch and watching people discuss balance I’ve noticed there is a theme of certain heroes being somewhat beloved by the community. I’m referring to heroes like Reinhardt, Winston, Tracer, Lucio and Ana who every one seems to be happy with being meta in ranked and open play at all times. Meanwhile there are heroes like Roadhog, Doomfist, and Moira that people absolutely despise ever being meta.

When discussing balance internally are these community sentiments about “evergreen” heroes ever talked about? Is there ever an attempt to make sure they are always toward the more powerful end of the hero spectrum? And how do you approach discussing and changing those less popular heroes? Is there more care involved?

Finally, why do you think some of these heroes are evergreen and others are not?

Great question! We’re certainly aware of the heroes that the community is generally more receptive to being meta though we don’t specifically plan around trying to make them the most powerful.

They are usually already popular heroes that will be played regardless of their underlying strength at any time. Many of these heroes have an advantage of having been available since the original game launch and are more accepted because of it.

As a fun exercise, imagine some of the launch heroes being released today and what the community reception to them would be just seeing the design/abilities on paper.

Our primary goal with hero balance is to try and get every hero to be viable at the top end of the competitive ladder (Masters-Top500, within a range of statistical viability since it’s a measurable goal). We also try to keep a handle on any significant outliers at lower skill tiers as well as large community pain points.

How are you feeling about snipers at the moment? Sometimes just feels oppressive playing against a good widow and that with one tank it’s not as simple as getting a dva or Winston to dive on them. Are players effectively able to counter snipers without simply having a better sniper now in 5v5?

I was looking at Widowmaker stats just last week, mainly for map balance discussions, but it was interesting to see that with the current map pool there were 4-5 maps where Widowmaker was really effective, 4-5 maps where she is quite bad or rarely picked (presumably because she’s not good there) and the rest were that she was playable, but not particularly great.

For anyone wondering her worst maps were 2 of the Push maps and 3 Control maps. Her best maps were 3 Payload and 2 Hybrid maps.

Snipers feel quite counterable to me at the moment but it’s certainly something we keep a close eye on to make sure they don’t get out of hand. I think the instances where snipers feel oppressive to play against are really memorable as it’s typical of human nature to remember the bad more than the good. At least for me, it’s rare that I remember when the enemy Widowmaker was ineffective and swapped off versus when she was dominating.

1 Like

The danger is continuously insisting that there’s a problem where there isn’t one. Similar to the Red Scare, but obviously not about communism.

No one is saying you can’t give feedback unless you’re psychic and all-knowing. But insisting there’s a problem (that isn’t real) and suggesting game breaking solutions (that would make the game worse & break balance) isn’t helpful.

Imma grab you a coffee to help you read and do your amazing thingy <3

josh had a few more answers…updated

Seriously they complain about 5 arcade wins challenge but not the 15 one which is way worse? I mean it’s great that it’s being changed but come on.

1 Like

Very boring.

Most of the time their replies are empty and just saying we are working on it.

Horrible devs.

5 Likes

Well yeah. 15 wins in the normal modes is a lot easier than 5 wins in the arcade ones that very few people play.

1 Like

Just great… no solution for Widow one-shot :expressionless:

Yes.

The truth is, it’s incredible how the devs are avoiding any response to Mercy… it’s like talking to a wall, they’re ignoring.

I understand being upset but some of you really take things to a whole different level…

1 Like