Algorithm is a disgrace

Grats on the streak! :smiley:

Here’s my lengthy w/l list, from when I used to track games. I can’t really see a pattern in mine tho, tbh:

(L)
(L)
(L)
(L)
(L)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(W)
(W)

(W)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(W)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(W)
(D)
(L)
(L)

(W)
(L)
(L)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(W)

(L)
(W)
(L)
(L)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(L)

(L)
(W)
(W)
(L)
(L)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(L)
(W)

(L)
(W)
(L)
(D)
(W)
(W)
(W)
(W)
(L)
(W)
(W)
(W)

1 Like

Streak broken. Terrible game too :slight_smile: Top card at least. It looks like you’re progressing well, though!

1 Like

Ah, it happens! Atleast it’s fun while it last.

And I haven’t logged games in a year or so, so those are quite old. Just wanted to see if someone could find the pattern :stuck_out_tongue:

Forced with hidden algs that are somehow hard-patented trade secrets, motivated by keeping players engaged and chasing a fake number and chevron.

Provable fairness (unrigged) isn’t novel enough to patent. And no one hiding anything shameful would obfuscate and dodge actual technical AMA/Q&A for so long.

And 4+ years no reset because they’re protecting content creators and once a week casuals while the most hardcore smurfs show up on alts to vs. eachother in the lowest of bronze.

Sadly not enough consequences. Even with players leaving/boycotting they’ll just inject ladder with 50k free burners and pad the stats for stakeholders/sponsors. This alone offsets their attrition, so their unethical business continues.

2 Likes

You should only keep playing if you consider the opportunity costs going forward. Consider all the hundreds of hours you’ve played the game. Then consider that with that time you could’ve been literally intermediate level at ANYTHING under the sun – drawing, painting, playing an instrument, programming, writing, public speaking, whatever. Knowing what you know now about the general Overwatch experience, would you still have chosen to play overwatch over all of these great alternatives? If not, stop playing – now – and get on to better things.

Thank you. Going to be getting back into chess. The solution to horrible teammates is not to have any :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The match making is definally not trying to get a 50% chance for both team. Its very obvious when I played with one of my friend, we keep getting cheaters on the enemy team non stop, but this only happens on that one account. After he switched account with simlair SR, but probably much higher MMR, this no longer happens. I think the match maker determ some accounts as boosted, and try to find a way to make them lose lol. Playing on accounts with high mmr generally gets much easier games.

This is a REALLY good point. The matchmaker creates matches based on between a 40/60 split for each team. We have no idea how often the matchmaker is giving a player the 40% end of the chances-to-win bargain.

1 Like

I feel exactly the same way. I loved Overwatch, and I feel betrayed by Blizzard’s bad design decisions and duplicity.

1 Like

You are 100% right, of course, but it makes me sad what happened to Overwatch. This could have been a great game for teaching the principles of team-based gameplay. Instead it became the antithesis of a team-based game

2 Likes

People get confused and skeptical when I say that Overwatch is not a “pure” game or when I say that it’s a Frankenstein-like concoction of business interests competing with a mostly engaging game (well it was engaging; even if most issues were fixed now, at this point the game would still be pretty dull and stale).

But case in point, In your popular post a while back, you said essentially that Overwatch pads the experience for bad players by forcing stronger players to carry them; and that the tryhards burdened with doing this would not stop shouldering that burden in an effort to climb, precisely because they are tryhards. So Blizzard basically gets to have their cake and eat it too.

And that was of course a crafty business decision. It wasn’t what was best for either good or bad players. They created twice as many DPS players as they did tanks and healers. This wasn’t a random decision. It was a business-driven decision. How Zarya goes untouched probably because she’s a big playmaker in OWL; unwillingness to deal with smurfs and alt accounts. The inexplicably bad matchmaking. Etc. Etc.

People (myself included) keep looking at this game and seeing all its potential, but then you wake up from that delusion and remember that Overwatch is a revenue driven enterprise. “But are the players having fun?!” said no shareholder ever. Player enjoyment matters only inasmuch as it effects revenue and player engagement. But player enjoyment isn’t the main consideration.

Creating the best experience possible is not the goal, keeping as many people playing for as long as they can is the goal, revenue is the goal. And so when I remember to look at this “game” through that lens, it all begins to make a lot more sense.

2 Likes

The game did have a linear progression system during the first couple of years after it came out. This system worked and matched everyone to their teirs. However, Jeff and his team changed something to allow a non-linear progression. A system where it was your job to help others climb even when they didn’t want to. This also gave rise to smurfs having to feed into the lower ranks because they couldn’t stand waiting for a match or going through the same boring matching.

Couple this with slowed damaged, slowed characters, slow latency and you get yourself a good 80% in toxic behavior. GG

I want to challenge you on something. I, and many of my friends who still play/used to play have never once spent any money on lootboxes. Yet, Blizz has somehow managed to make over a BILLION on lootbox sales alone. How in the f is that possible?! A billion on cosmetics alone. What is actually going on in game psychologically that none of us are privy to? As conspiratorial as it might sound, I strongly believe many of these games to be manufactured in a way that somehow elicits lootbox sales.

1 Like

There are millions of people playing this game, and they have been for several years now. That’s a big BIG pool of disposable income. In the same way that people spend money on team jerseys and related memorabilia, people are willing to spend money on in game cosmetics to “enhance” the experience. I’m sure most people buying this stuff don’t go overboard. A small fraction of total sales probably come from things like kids bankrupting their parents by getting ahold of their credit cards and charging it up till the cows come home; or some crazy Overwatch fanatic spending hundreds of dollars at a time on lootboxes.

2 Likes

Despite its simplicity and Blizzard’s own words on the subject, this issue is hard to explain to other people, especially non-players. But the difficulty isn’t in understanding the dynamics of handicapping, which are fairly simple. It’s in understanding the depth of effect that these dynamics have, which is profound.

And that’s the hardest to explain even to other Overwatch players, because it involves Blizzard’s betrayal of their trust. It’s like trying to explain the problem of Donald Trump to Republican voters. It is very difficult and painful for people to realize they’ve been deceived.

3 Likes

Oh yes, it’s no conspiracy. Blizzard and other game development companies configure their games to be as addictive and expensive as possible.

3 Likes

Throw the algorithm off by playing with at least one player you know is competent.

Competent Gold support here willing to volunteer! I play best with fairly aggressive Reins / Monkeys that hold space and don’t suicide charge / dive. Mercy, Brig and Zen are my best heroes. I like long walks on the beach and puppies. Must be west coast LAX1.

1 Like

they should match players according to sr and not the hidden MMR to try “balance” games. games are not balanced because of players skill, that means they deserve a higher rank, thats all.

they are doing this to keep players playing longer but its creating more frustration

Heres what I think, and has been proven to be true, over and over by every player that plays: Silver can climb out of Bronze, Gold can climb out of Silver, and so on. There is no invisible man holding you back, it is 100% your skill, and playable time, if you have better skill than people in your current rank you will climb, if you have minimal time to play, this climb will be extremely slow, if your skill is only slightly higher than current rank, but you have ample amounts of time to commit, you will climb/grind but will increase your SR. If both skill and time are abundant you will climb very quickly.

While yes, smurfs/throwers/cheaters will hinder your efforts slightly, they will not, in the long run, prevent you from climbing if your skill is truly higher, only slightly delay the outcome.

Third time posting this, why don’t people understand?

2 Likes