Algorithm is a disgrace

The matchmaking algorithm is absolutely awful. There is no excuse for how awful it is. It defies mathematical odds with how terrible it is.

If the algorithm aims for 50% win / loss, then massive winning / losing streaks should be uncommon. To lose 5 games in a row, that is around 3% likelihood. That’s a rather rare occurrence. To lose 10 games in a row, that is 0.1% likelihood. The chances of that happening should be practically ZERO.

But it happens to me CONSTANTLY. It’s happened to me several times within the past few weeks. I have had multiple days with 10+ losses in a row. I have also had days where I will win 8-10 in a row. That SHOULD NOT HAPPEN in EITHER CASE.

Terrible matchmaking. No excuse for it whatsoever.

40 Likes

Honestly i find it too hard to believe that matchmaking can actually forcefully create a matchup with a 99% chance of losing/winning by choice.

3 Likes

Win chance isn’t win rate.
A coin flip with a call of Heads has a 50% win chance but it can still land tails 9 out of 10 times for a 10% win rate.

The lower a players rank, the less consistent the game play of everyone. The more range you see to games. Yet better players who rank up hold well over 50%. You can’t even stay in GM unless a player is over 50% the whole time, from what I’ve heard.

even in trash team comps, no team work, zero healers etc QP I’ve held a 56% win rate on Reinhardt. Even with nearly 600 hours play time on just Rein and something like 4k rounds.
Hurrrrrr durrrrrrrrr muh fixed match making… lol

1 Like

Win rate / win chance, call it whatever you want. Their goal is to have players win around 50% of the time. They have failed miserably at that. It isn’t even close to 50%.

10+ loss streaks should be so incredibly rare as to almost never happen. Period.

This is a multibillion dollar company with a literal team of developers, and this is the best they could do. Ponder that for a moment.

6 Likes

Most players play when they’ve gotten home from work/school (drained)

Most people do not do regular physical workouts (arm stamina)

Combine these two together and you’re looking at consistently inconsistent players.

I stand around anywhere from gold to high plat and will stick by that. My skill will vary due to how inconsistent I am. What does that mean? One day I could be missing no shots on hitscan and single handedly winning fights, other times I might hit a target on my last bullet every clip. Combine that 6 times per team. Now even though everyone’s “skill” is supposedly Plat, we could have people anywhere from gold to plat in our team.

Seriously back off from the algorithm and the players and relax a bit. It’s bad enough that the players themselves mentally know that they’re playing like dogcrap and don’t need the rest of the team to be telling their heads off at them when they already know. Just do your job the best that you can and move onto the next game. If you’re playing like crap take a break or visit the workshop and just take it easy. Continually playing when you’re mentally tilted is not going to make you magically play better.

1 Like

No, the easiest way to force 50/50 is to have half your matches be GUARANTEED losses and half be GUARANTEED wins.

5 Likes

First, I never blame the players. I dont hate the player, I hate the game. The game which matches me against smurfs, better rated teams, etc. and has zero accounting for loss streaks.

I understand variability, but that goes both ways (e.g., you can play better than usual, and sometimes worse than usual). Means nothing because it balances out and is an equal factor for all sides.

2 Likes

So how is this a Blizzard algorithm fault? You get 6 players that underperform due to tiredness for 10 games straight. So you’re telling me that Blizzard has this amazing matchmaker algorithm can scope out the person sitting behind the PC and put you into 10 games in a row where everyone is going to underperform? Think about it, that’s freaking incredible technology if Blizzard is doing that.

No it’s the players you want to go after.

The algo should factor in loss streaks and win streaks. The probability of a win should increase after strings of losses. It should get easier to get a win after numerous losses.

The thing is - they are not factoring in how demoralizing it is to lose 10 in a row. They failed to factor in the user experience into the matchmaker, and that is such a massive fail. Every other company starts with the user experience and works backwards to create that. Not Blizzard. They designed a mathematical formula that doesnt even work and does not factor in the user experience at all. Just 0s and 1s.

No it shouldn’t. It should strive to make a balanced, 50/50 game every single game.

2 Likes

They needed to start with the user experience first and work backwards to create it. They started with a formula that looked good on paper but does not at all factor in the user experience.

Epic, epic fail.

2 Likes

It’s actually trivially easy to do that. You put much better players on one team than the other.

Sure it CAN, but it has a 1% chance of doing so.

Then that would be a stomp, which from what i heard hasn’t been that unbalanced.

If that is true, then 10 losses in a row would occur 0.1% of the time. It has happened to me twice in the last few weeks.

That is broken. It should not be that common. And it aint just me, dude.

5 Likes

Extended loss streaks are because you are having an off day or are tilted.

It most certainly is not ALWAYS that. I’ve had games where I was 84% on fire, and still lost. Next game I can’t do anything, and win. No rhyme or reason to that!

Let’s assume for sake of argument though that I am tilted and having an off day. So what? The REASON for the loss is irrelevant - the algorithm should adjust in the next match to make a win more probable. That would make for a far better experience.

I find the argument that “you are just playing poorly” a bad argument. It puts all the fault on the player. Sometimes people play badly because the teams are wildly uneven, and that’s not the player’s fault.

But either way, the REASON for a loss is totally irrelevant. The algo should adjust for loss streaks, plain and simple.

I’m sorry your name is polyglot but you do not speak mathematics?

Loss steak and win steak will happen in system blizzard described and actually indicate it is working correctly.

I won’t go into the specifics of the math but probability in described system dictates that win/loss streak will occur from time to time with enough games played.

This is how comp works

Sometimes, you get games where you get thrashed completely.
Sometimes, you get games where you complete obliterate the enemy team
Sometimes, you get those where it’s an even close game. You may win or lose, but it’s pretty even and close.

A lot of factors can go into each scenario. Perhaps you just not on your A game. Perhaps you get a leaver. Your teammates just aren’t doing their jobs. The same goes for the enemy team. At the the of the day…

It’s a game. Try to not rage over it.

Mod Edit: Inappropriate language removed.

Considering the fact that statistics is part of my job, I beg to differ. And why are you struggling with basic conditional probabilities?

Find the product of 10 losses in a row assuming 50% probability for each game. It isnt hard, and I have already given the answer in prior posts.

Maybe you dont understand what that number means?

2 Likes