After a 600 SR Losing Streak I Quit the Game

How is it anymore complicated than other systems? It puts people of similar rank together; when you win your rank goes up and vice versa. This is the same as any ranked game.

That is a genre preference, not a competitive rank issue.

1 Like

its a game issue. The whole game of Apex to me is more appealing and more fun than the whole game of Overwatch.

Wins for me gain around 19-22 SR but losses take 25-30, because PBSR so you never truly know how much you can gain or lose in one game, I really believe any other game doing this would have just made a set amount for win/lose. They mix ranks. Diamond players can que up with a gold friend and get put into a low gold game. Regardless of what MMR says about being even, a diamond player should not be able to effect a low gold game under any circumstance. One team can be all solo que, and go up against a 4,5,6 stack. What other game has all of these instances happen?

2 Likes

I mean… realistically we have no idea how complicated or simple the matchmaker is because Blizzard is anything but transparent on its operation. The fact that we don’t even know our MMR at any given point is proof of how little we know.

One thing we do know is that there are players manipulating the matchmaker with alt/smurf accounts, so that’s not helping. And the whole PBSR thing is strange. Like it makes sense, but at the same time, if Blizzard is going to reward (or punish) us for not meeting some metrics in each match, it’d be cool to know what those metrics are and where the goalposts sit.

Regardless of your feelings about it, you gotta admit that a secret matchmaking system by a developer that’s openly invited players to create numerous alternate accounts is a pretty unique setup in the land of competitive gaming.

Just imagine such a system anywhere else. “Hey Sidney Crosby, you didn’t perform as well last game as you could have (we won’t tell you any specifics) so we’re going to kick you down to the farm team. Oh wait, what’s that? You’ve changed your jersey and now are going under the name “Crisby Sonsby?” Oh well that changes everything! Come on in, welcome to the NHL, kid!”

It’s literally comical.

5 Likes

I’m from pittsburgh so I love this example lol. But your whole post is very accurate and well worded.

1 Like

This is what I have experienced on console as well. I’ve since switched to Mystery Heros all the time, & the games i’ve been in on there have been very competitive. I’m having much more fun in arcade than I ever did in Comp or QP.

1 Like

Apex and OW are different in genres. This is a genre issue.

Again, this is Blizzard’s choice in an attempt to quickly push people towards their proper ranks. Taking out PBSR ends up with your proposed system, which has the side effect of longer lasting smurfs. You prefering your version doesn’t mean Blizzard’s system is broken. It’s working as intended.

OW averages the team rank. 3000 SR + 2000 SR averages to 2500 SR players. You will not have Diamond + gold being paired against average low gold players, they will be paired against high gold/low plat players.

CSGO.

And your scenario is a rare exception, not a common occurrence.

I literally played against one a week ago, im 2100ish.

I don’t feel like arguing with you. We perceive Overwatch differently and what you like in a game is different from what I like in a game, flaws for me aren’t flaws for you either way i’m happy with my decision of moving on.

I really don’t understand these people worshipping Blizz and defending every one of their actions or decisions trying to speak in their name of things nobody outside of Blizz itself even knows. I’m perfectly fine with people disagreeing with my view of the game. But this constant denial of everything while portraying the game as flawless is something else…

6 Likes

There are always cult members.

1 Like

I just give up. 95% of the people on the forums believe opinions are wrong, and they are right. Its toxic, I truly don’t understand why I keep coming on the forums because every time I do, It makes me want to fully quit that much more. The community is almost more to blame than blizzard for any downfall this game is having or may have.

1 Like

Everything Blizzard has ever said about matchmaking and Competitive is compiled into the References section of the opening post.

There is a TON of information there. They were much more active back then, but you can probably guess why they stopped interacting with the Competitive forum.

I gained 400 sr last monday,decide to comp again tonight,and lose back 400 sr.It just a circle.keep playing it and you will gain back your 600sr.

This is laughable. Overwatch has a HUGE rank issue. If you ranked in early on in the game, like me, it was very easy to not be garbage which in turn more or less locked your SR for rank ins every season. I got back from not playing for 8 seasons, played an off meta char and got high diamond with a 8 loss 2 win ratio, just because I was diamond in like season 4.

4 Likes

Team averages. If you were 2100, then there is someone higher on your team to balance the rank.

This is what I’ve been saying. You prefer a different genre of game. OW is two teams competing over an objective. Apex is open world multi-team deathmatch. They don’t compete for the same audience. One isn’t flawed because it doesn’t play like the other, they’re not suppose to be the same.

OP literally proved you wrong. He got placed high early and had no trouble falling back down to where he belonged.

If you got placed early into diamond and still got and stayed in diamond after a break, you’re still a diamond worthy player. It’s not luck.

Im not doin the comp bs anymore but i see all my friends dropping down a good bit in SR
Even friends who been in diamond and up seem to drop like crazy
Dunno but never seen it this bad…

You’re probably right and I could. It’s always an up and down. But I quit… My statement might have been misleading but I don’t only care about SR. It mostly was the experience of losing over and over and over, a series of uncompetetive games full of throwers, toxicity and other uncontrollable parameters. The feeling that you don’t have any power over the outcome. The feeling that no matter what you do the game can’t be fun.
I care about SR in the sense that I want competetive games which should be more likely at a higher SR (at least in theory).
You’re completely right at some point there would be a winning streak… but so would be another losing streak… But winning or losing skill points in a MMR system doesn’t really mean anything if the games you play are actually neither fun nor competetive.

1 Like

Yeah during on losing streaks it’s so pain.I’m understand your frustration,take a break man.

Ok you’re actually Jesse Lee Peterson on a Troll account there’s just no way…

2 Likes

I think you missed my point. I don’t deserve diamond. I got it because I had gotten diamond 8 seasons earlier, when I actually played the game. I lost 8 and won 2 of my placements and only got diamond because i

1. Ranked in high early in the game, where the meta and the entire gameplay was completely different. There was no character limit, SR capped at 100 and there was one new character, that character was Ana and her ult was considered so OP at the time you had to have it.
  2. I played an off meta character. Lucio was viable in S1 and S2 then dropped in usefulness (except for dive) when people realized how good Mercy was but I was a Lucio main. When I came back 8 seasons after Season 4, nobody was playing Lucio because dive had just died, so it was very easy for me to preform well. Snipermeta was here and Lucio just wasn’t played.

Another important point to add is that I didnt know anything about the game at the time. I was 1 game from masters and didn’t know the meta, had never played the new characters and Mercy could all of the sudden only rez one person, and it wasn’t her ult. I was in way above my head and clearly wasnt cut out for it. The ranking system doesn’t work, and it’s very apparent.

People can play well and still derank very easily because the team aspect and the SR lock from your first rank in is too strong.

1 Like