A Superior Alternative to WASD

1. You don’t need analog levels of movement in this game. You’re still strafing left and right for me so moving back or towards me while moving left or right won’t be much to throw me or anyone off. Not to mention the fact that this game has 0 movement acceleration so you can spam A and D all day to throw an average hitscan off because you’re moving too rapidly around.

2. You can adjust the speed of your movement by tapping your keys or knowing when to stop while moving to a ledge or something, walking or crouching. But then again such slow levels of movement are never needed in a game like this.

3. “I had to rebind abilities that I would normally use while moving to avoid having to stop moving altogether to do something.” You’re just not used to it and need more time to use something as simple as a board. I don’t want to sound like some kind of elite piano player but if an average QL player like me can stroll through 8 weapons on a keyboard individually while moving and shooting then it’s either experience or lack of hand coordination and multitasking.

But hey if you want to use those… things then go ahead.

1 Like

We have more available buttons at any given time with only left hand using WASD. It’s not just those keys but the surrounding ones. I know how to push them without taking my fingers off wasd.

That seems really neat, but I’ve been using M+KB for like half my life so im kinda used to it now :joy:

1 Like

Well, it’s an already pretty old peripheral for the PS3 and is dirt cheap preowned like I said (only $2 at GameStop), it’s not really an advertisement so much as sharing my experience looking for a working alternative. Now if I were singing praises about Razer’s Tartarus or Orbweaver, then yeah I could see it coming off like an ad. :stuck_out_tongue:

The movement restrictions of WASD on Tracer are more pronounced when used with her blinks. With blink, you start at a position and basically teleport to a destination away from you depending on the direction she’s moving. With WASD this is limited to the 8 directions (up, down, left, right, up-left, up-right, down-left, down-right), which means she can only blink to those 8 pre-determined positions a distance away from her original position.

With the controller analog stick you have all 360 degree of movement, which means you have far greater angular control over where exactly you’ll land after a blink. So if I want to blink backwards to exactly 5o’clock so that I’m tightly hugging to a corner behind me, I can do that. Or say I’m mid-air and I know I can just reach a ledge if I blink to 10 o’clock, I can do that.

The restraining effect on her movement options is very exaggerated on keyboard. You can adjust for this by slightly moving your mouse aim before movement to get those finer angles, but anyone who plays frequently on both platforms can easily intuit this distinction.

1 Like

The biggest difficulty with this setup is indeed limited buttons, getting it setup comfortably will depend a lot on how many extra buttons your mouse has to compensate. I found a comfortable arrangement that was just enough to satisfy my personal needs for almost the entire roster, though. On the nav controller all my comms, sprays and scoreboard check are on the dpad, healing/movement/abilities are on the triggers, reload is on the center analog stick when it’s clicked in. On my deathadder mouse primary and secondary attack are on the left/right clicks, ult is on scroll wheel click, weapon switch on scroll, jump and melee are on the side thumb buttons.

The only non-ideal part of my setup is that crouch is on X and interact is on O, but for the overall comfort of having my left arm free to rest and move wherever instead of stretched out awkward over the table it’s worth it. I’ve even got a mouse rest attached to my chair’s arm so when I play it’s almost like I’m reclining in a throne (or at least a movie theater seat), it’s pretty wonderful playing with completely relaxed arms at my sides instead of held out strained awkwardly to a keyboard or together with say the PS4 controller, it’s a very liberating feeling.

Actually I have jump assigned to one of the thumb side buttons on my deathadder mouse, I’ve reserved the Nav controller trigger buttons for healing/movement/abilities for the characters and have the analog stick click reserved for reloading. I haven’t noticed any input delay at all, but honestly I wouldn’t know how to measure that concretely, if there is any as far as I can tell it’s negligible (it’s connected by USB just like my deathadder and it is essentially a Sony PS3 controller, or rather one half of a dualshock, so I can’t imagine that there would be any significant delays).

Honestly it doesn’t seem worth it. What you gain in analog movement you lose with a lot fewer accessible buttons, as well as the means to more effective A-D strafe as effectively as you can on KB. I’ve never found analog movement of a character in an FPS to be very important.

To each his own, though again Circci the #1 ranked player in NA does use this Nav controller, as do some players in Overwatch Contenders. Maybe it’s a personal comfort thing, but for me I do find it also provides a greater range of intuitive movement options than WASD for certain abilities.

Works well with a mouse with like 8-12 buttons. Logitech g602 for example.

I prefer mostly movement from the analog still and jump as r1, x as tab, square as start emotes and such on dpad .

Mouse you’re gunna have to have enough buttons for crouch, reload, fire, alt fire, skill 1, skill 2, ult, melee.

I wouldn’t say its better or worse. Both can have advantages.

2 Likes

Alright but do you need this level of precision?

So far I’ve seen tracers manage the “clunk” for moving around, sooo great map sense?

Not to mention if you had to move your mouse to do some specific o’clock movement backwards or forward you can do that in a snap and re-adjust on the go, IF you have to.

Not to mention in fights most tracers will jump on you and exploit your FOV by blinking through you, blinking back and doing it again, keeping you turning around because you have to, otherwise you will get a nice “hot load” of pulse rounds on your back (and all of this is happening in a few seconds, bellow double digits).

I’m not saying your point is invalid, what I’m saying is “do you REALLY need this to do this? I mean sure but bare in mind you’re missing out on a ton of potential… no? K.”

A mouse and keyboard, while clunky for some, can achieve a lot of things at very fast speeds while an analog stick is not as accurate and not as fast unless you’re willing to use higher sensitivity on an analogstick which will result in less control and accuracy.

Consider a stick to be an automatic and the M+K a stick shift.

Back in my day we used the arrow keys and we liked it! /Old man rant end.

1 Like

Hmm I’m not sure you’re quite understanding this setup, the Playstation Nav controller only replaces WASD on the keyboard for your left hand, it’s like having the left handed side of a dualshock. You would still be using mouse in your right hand for aiming, in my case I’m using a Razer Deathadder. That’s why I’m saying it’s the “best of both worlds” because you get the wider range of intuitive console analog stick movement in left hand while you still get superior PC aiming in the right hand.

2 Likes

I tried something similar once using a controller in one hand and the mouse on the other, would need to check one of those eventually.

Good for you. Personally i never was able to paly with controller (except when i played MGS1), because i alway used keyboard.
ATM i play with a Rantopad MXX (Gateron Red switches), i’m planning to get a set of PBT DSA keycaps from AliExpress. Btw i would like to try Topre

That actually looks… really interesting. Is there any way you can make it wired?

One thing that turned me off console was that changing direction felt so slow compared to keyboard. I felt like I was wrenching my thumb side to side and my hero just wasn’t reacting fast enough to my inputs. When I got a wired controller it helped a little but there was still a noticeable delay. Pressing a button is just faster than dragging my thumb.

1 Like

My Nav controller is actually directly connected to my laptop by USB (it has a mini-USB port at the bottom of the wand), that’s how it’s charged and how I play, looks almost like a microphone when you’re using it. I think it’s possible to setup a wireless Bluetooth connection between the Nav controller and the PC as well, but I didn’t want to bother with figuring it out since I would probably be leaving it plugged into the computer to charge anyways. I figured the inputs would be faster and more consistent using wired too. All you need is a good compatible cable and you’re set.

I still don’t see the point of it :confused:

It’s like making an arcade stick with the stick and a gamepad on the the other side because you prefer using your thumbs than fingers to input attacks.

This movement you’re talking about has never popped into my head in any game even one with tons of speed (and I played a lot of console until I got into PC gaming and the transition from pad to K+M was instant).

Kinda like trying to get the fastest RAM possible while ignoring the fact that the results will be almost the same unless you’re into competitive overclocking…but you’re not.

Or having a touch screen on your PC case’s panel while it is under your desk.
Like…WHY?

As for some parts of my previews post, I went off the hook a little bit.

Sounds cool but i’m never leaving keyboard.

2 Likes

Well, for example on keyboard you use up 3 whole fingers dancing on the keyboard like Dance Dance Revolution only to get a limited range of movement along 8 directions. As a result you have to remap key bindings so that important abilities don’t interfere with movement and vice versa, as most of your left hand’s fingers are dedicated to movement. I really didn’t like how using ult on Q, an ability on E or reload on R meant that I had to stop movement on any of the WASD keys to do it, it not only interrupts the flow but makes my fingers split double duty to perform both movement and other game functions.

On a controller you only have to use one thumb for movement and get the much larger full 360 degrees of direction. It’s not only more economical in terms of finger usage and dedicated in terms of function, but it gives a greater range of motion that for some mobility characters can be very useful (like Tracer for her blinks).

1 Like