A Superior Alternative to WASD

I’ve been playing Overwatch on PS4 but recently made the transition to PC when I got a nice gaming laptop for my birthday. Although I found my new Deathadder mouse to clearly be superior for aiming compared to console, I noticed some disadvantages using keyboard when it came to movement: it’s limited to 8 directions on WASD (no precision in-between angles unless you preemptively rotate your mouse) and the only speed was fast (no slow adjustment for approaches to ledges or corners). I also didn’t like how three whole fingers were dedicated to movement, meaning I had to rebind abilities that I would normally use while moving to avoid having to stop moving altogether to do something. Having played a lot of mobile characters like Tracer on console I immediately sensed the non-intuitive restrictions that the keyboard setup imposes on her movement, which on console despite the inferior aim felt far more fluid and natural.

Some folks recommended alternative setups for left hand like the Razer Orbweaver or Tartarus v2, which are basically keypads with a small analog stick for the thumb. This sounded like an attractive setup but was pretty pricey (like $70-$130).

That’s when I heard about Circci, the former Xbox pro player who recently transitioned to PC and actually just made #1 rank in North America. What caught my ear was that he (and apparently, quite a few players in Overwatch Contenders) were using this:

A Playstation 3 Navigation controller, for their left hand movement. It basically has everything you would want: click-in analog stick, triggers, d-pad and extra buttons. What’s amazing is that they’re only $2 at GameStop, they’re practically giving them away as all their stores have stock.

Setting it up wasn’t too difficult, I just had to plug it in to USB and get a program called ScpToolkit. After it installs all the necessary prerequisites I just had to use this driver program to install the necessary Playstation 3 drivers for the plugged in Nav controller and it was good to go (also had to enable a setting in the game to “Force Keyboard Mouse Interface” so that the mouse and controller hybrid setup would be handled).

After a long process getting the right bindings set I’m all good and finding that, so far, it’s been a pretty flawless experience. I feel like I get the best of both worlds: I get console’s natural, intuitive controller movement in my left hand and PC’s superior aiming with mouse in my right hand.

Anybody else using this setup? I think it’s wonderful and just wanted to share my experience.

16 Likes

That’s cool that you found something that’s comfortable for you, but I honestly love the keyboard. I used to be a console gamer when I was younger, but after going PC … I’d never go back.

So legit questions, though: How do you jump, use ultimates, or use E and LShift abilities? Just have them all bound to the various buttons on that thing?

See, personally, I wouldn’t like that because it feels like you’d have to dedicate your whole hand to one action rather than being able to multitask. I can ulti while moving left, for example. Or press Q and E in quick succession while also moving in a direction. I wouldn’t want to give that up. :X

6 Likes

I’m happy with the keyboard. I find it much more confortable and using the same setup for several games is way too convenient. I found the controller and how someone used it very interesting, however, and it’s nice that you found something good for your gameplay, some people who came from Console to PC will definitely appreciate this a lot.

4 Likes

Having just migrated from PS4 myself, I’ll be sure to look into this. Thanks for the heads up!

I keep seeing posts like this, everyone talking about it is from NA where these things are dirt cheap, they’re like £15 here for just the one.

I’m curious as well on how this kind of controller is setup. On the keyboard (I use QWES). On Sombra for example:

Pinky = Cloak, Ultimate
Ring = Scoreboard, Straffe left, Translocator, Ultimate is Ready
Middle = Forward, Back, Need Healing
Index = Cancel Translocator, Move Right, Reload, Comm Wheel (Thanks, hello, etc.)
Thumb = Jump, Mic

If i need to throw my translocator (A) while moving left (Q) i roll my finger a bit to press both buttons.

On the controller, with only three usable fingers (Ring and pinky doesn’t seem to do anything), doesn’t this mean that to do certain actions you have to stop moving? The thumb has the stick and six buttons to manage by itself :thinking:

1 Like

You can also use foot switches (digital not analog).

In a lot of games I used to use them for weapon switching, but in overwatch only Mercy and Torb have 2 weapons so its not that useful.

Friends use them for Push to talk / voice wheel commands but I find that difficult anyway its another thought if your out of fingers.

I thought topic would be about IJKL…

1 Like

Only seems benefitial for tracer. You get finer control of blinks while allowing you to maintain xhair placement but you give up adad spam.

Being able to control walk speed isn’t useful in ow. In r6 seige hell yeah, bought a wooting one just for it only to find out it isn’t supported :slight_smile:

Lack of buttons is a pretty obv. downside.

I’ll pick one up tho since they’re so cheap. Maybe it won’t be as crap as my orbweaver

1 Like

I doubt it is wroth the clunkyness just for analog movement. Not to mention, you are not traveling at max speed all the time if you are using that.

It seems like it would be good for heroes like Tracer or Hanzo as you could use their movement abilities in any directions, but it would make unpredictable movement with AD spamming more difficult. Whatever works for you though.

2 Likes

The idea is interesting, but a couple questions:

Are you jumping with one of the trigger buttons?

Is there noticeable input delay?

Controllers are typically slower than keyboards in terms of ms response time and if there is an unreasonable difference, it might not be worth it.

1 Like

I heard about the player that uses this config to play.

I can see where it would be useful. You have a lot more control over your movement.

1 Like

I don’t play with a keyboard, I have this type of hybrid controls since I moved to PC.

However I’m not using this type of controller, I just plugged my xbox controller and use the left part of the controller while aiming with the mouse.

Never had any problems, just a preference I never played on PC before and moving with a keyboard felt weird (And it still is).

For those who might say it’s a disadvantage I don’t think so, I can use every abilities, just have to do some smart keybounding.

Also funny thing, we’re the only ones on PC being able to move really slow, that’s funny to do ingame when everyone can’t.

2 Likes

For the longest time as a kid, I’d use the arrow keys. X would be bound to jump, z would be bound to alt fire, enter would be use.

It got even cooler when my dad brought home his laptop and my brother and I would fight over the trackpad.

That’s superiority.

I think using a keyboard is fine.

I also made the transition from PS4 Overwatch to PC Overwatch, funny enough. Of course, going from a controller to a mouse and keyboard was weird at first, but I got used to it quickly, especially since I wasn’t exactly new to PC gaming.

If you give it some time, you’ll probably get used to a mouse and keyboard.

1 Like

I know somebody who does pretty well using a pro controller (I believe) in one hand and a mouse in the other. The keyboard is more of a side thing.
I personally use keyboard and mouse, but wrist problems are forcing me to look at these other options.

1 Like

I use kb, but I have a fragfx360 that works with my pc and my ps4.
The left chuck is kinda like the one you pictured.
To be honest the only pc game I ever tried it with was Star Citizen…and I went back to my warthog.
It’s great for console, but the mouse is nowhere near as good as my Ouroboros.

This reads like a glorified ad.

2 Likes

I actually use the left part of a steam controller, wired.

I have jump on the trigger, chrouch on the left grip, long press on the grip is the ultimate, the left touchpad is the communication wheel and push to talk, select is tab and long press is hero selection.

1 Like