"6v6 was the issue nobody played tank"

ow1:
-leave tank and game in horrible balancing and then proceed to not update the game for 3 years
“6v6 was the issue were removing a tank”

ow2:
-balance the game every month with continued support for the game
-tank is still the least played role by a lot and nobody plays it
“but guys 6v6 was the issue nobody played tank in overwatch 1 streamer said double shield bad”

5v5 is only defended by hitscan players and bad support players

tank is no longer about creating plays like it was in ow1
tank in 5v5 is just which tank can stay alive the longest while hoping your hitscan manages to soj rail someone

70 Likes

You clearly never queued for tank in ow1

No one wanted to play tank, yeah.

5 dps and I’d be on Dva. “CAN YOU SWAP SHIELD???”

Most annoying mentality ever

24 Likes

I mean in other games that’s just what being a tank entails. The only other game I can really go by is ff14, DPS have the most intense damage rotation, while tanks are water down simple damage rotations with self and/or team wide mitigation. Healers (they’re called healers not support) have only one single target damage spell, a dot, an aoe and then only one other damage button on a high cd. But at the higher end of the game, it’s all about damage. Everyone just do as much damage as you can and do as little of everything else as you can.

Since healing being too strong in overwatch seems to be hated by many, and tanking requiring players to take damage and stay alive is a boring gameplay loop, it’s EXTREMELY difficult for the Devs to implement good DPS/tank/support role based characters into a the FPS setting. This dynamic simply doesn’t fit FPS, and more accurately, it’s not what overwatch players want.

ermmmmmmmmm 2-2-2 exists
you could pick up the slack for a bad tank in 6v6 you cannot pick up the slack for a bad tank in 5v5

if ur an open queue player none of this changes for 5v5 because u can still get 4 dps 1 tank

7 Likes

No no no… it is even least played than before. You get even lower queue times even though the tank requirement is reduced by half.

5v5 managed to make the tank role even less desirable than already was

23 Likes

I’m talking about the game before role queue was added.

The whole reason why it was added in the first place was to get people to play tank as there was nothing more unbalanced than a team of 5 dps going against 2/2/2

The problem with 2/2/2 is because there weren’t enough people willing to play tank, the queue times got awful

We’re here now with 5v5 because of that

5 Likes

Thing is,I did like tanking in OW1,to this day D.Va is my 2nd most played hero.
I mainly stopped playing because the game was abandoned and they refused to address the number of CCs.

It’s OW2 that makes me not want to tank.

13 Likes

its actually crazy how badly theyve neglected the role

even in the ow community it seems that in these discussions dps and support players always talk about their roles issues in 5v5 vs 6v6 while the true victims (tank players) are just ignored off tank players just had their playstyle killed

7 Likes

“6v6 was the issue nobody played tank”

There have been dozens of discussions on this, and the general consensus is always that there was a lack of tank players because there were extremely poor balancing decisions being made.

The format can be 4 vs. 4 or 7 vs. 7. It doesn’t matter what the format is.

The format isn’t what brings in the tank player; it’s the balancing that does that. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

The 2 main issues we had back in OW1 was:
(1) Crazy amounts of CC stacking from each role (which would pretty much all end up hitting the Tank players because they’re in front).
(2) The severely imbalanced hero roster of 8 Tanks, 17 DPS, 7 Supports. What’s weird is that the only new hero we got after 2-2-2 released was Echo, our 17th DPS hero, so we did not get a SINGLE new Tank or Support hero after 2-2-2. Obviously DPS queues were gonna be the longest with that kind of hero roster.

9 Likes

2/2/2 was added because blizzard couldnt solve 3-3 goats and properly nerf briggite and high aoe healing

only other times where lots of tanks were meta was release ana where her nade was so op meta was 4 tanks 2 supports (she was quickly nerfed and this meta died)

briggites inspire and healing needed a complete rework as she single handedly let 3 tanks sustain more than any other combination of heroes

6 Likes

You really couldn’t pick up the slack for a bad tank in 222. If one side had a feeder Hog and the other side didn’t, that was pretty much it.

You could’ve been talking about it afterwards too, really. Especially at the end it was pretty common for each team to field a Hog. Either the other guy went Sigma and had a chance of survivng a game of 132, or they didn’t and the rest of the team would moan forever.

I don’t know where they’re handing out rose-tinted glasses for free but I’d like some too, please.

1 Like

So what’s your point then.

That people do infact want to play tank?

If the argument is going back to 6v6 will magically fix the tank queue issue then you’re wrong.

Goats was rarely played outside of pro play anyway.
Imagine having 5 dps comp going against goats even in quickplay. That’s what happened all the time.

What’s your solution here

3 Likes

problem is with single tank though that its seriously a rock-paper-scrissor fight between the tanks when the tanks actually matter.

In fights where the dps or supports carry the fights, tank has no impact.
Only time tank has impact is when the dps and supports are underperforming in the match, and the moment that happens, and you need to actually fight the enemy tank, you have to counter pick the enemy tank or loose.

And no amount of balancing will fix this problem in 5v5.
Only an off-tank would fix it, where different tank combinations would allow to more versatile gameplay.

5 Likes

No, people were asking for 2/2/2 almost since day 1 before Brig even existed. The 5 DPS problem was there from the very beginning. Goats was it’s own issue and both were easily solved with role queue. Role queue is probably the single best thing to be added to Overwatch.

The reason we’re here in 5v5 land now is because tanks have always been treated as second class citizens in this game. Everyone always thinks they can tell us which hero we have to play. We’re always getting nerfed into the ground even when we feel weak because of other people coming here and complaining.

Personally, I’m tired. I’ve been a D.Va main for 8 years and you people keep trying to reshape our role into things nobody wants. Play a shield tank. Tanks are just supposed to take all the CC. Tanks are just fat DPS and shouldn’t be able to do damage

If people paid more attention to the tank experience instead of complaining every time the fun tank gets let out of the closest to play then maybe we wouldn’t be here.

18 Likes

6v6 2-2-2 with actual balancing and support for the game not leaving it to die for 3 years in hopes of a failed cancelled pve game

tank will be played if it receives balancing and updates. to make it balanced is just simply impossible in 5v5

if balancing tanks was possible in 5v5 why havent they done it yet no tank its been a year and a half and we still have made no progress since oct 2022 every patch a tank just becomes hard meta with a few stat changes leaving every other tank terrible besides sigma

5 Likes

My man if balancing was possible in 6v6 why didn’t they ever do it.

There’s no such thing as balancing to get players to play a role much less balancing in general.

The issue wasn’t ever balancing or double shield. People flat don’t want to play tank for the most part and would rather play dps or support.

There’s no such thing as balancing tank to get players in the tank role.

The logical solution to this is to cut the required tanks to make a match by half.

The issue now is how counter swapping affects tanks. If you want to make the argument that balance will bring tank players back then do it through the lense of 5v5. Of course, it still won’t matter. There’s no balance in the world to fix the counter swapping issue or the lack of tank players.

3 Likes

Yeah there was. What more unbalanced then that is role lock where your tank sucks and the other tank is good so you take the L cause nobody can do anything about it.

Role lock has never been anything but an illusion of safety. It fixed nothing. You FEEL better when you see a balanced team comp but it’s not actually better and does not help you win more, because role locks unwinnable scenarios are even more unwinnable than OQ ever was. Once I changed my mindset about high dps comps I started winning those games all the time. 5 dps instalock? Okay, instead of crying for everyone to swap, I’m going Lucio and shot calling. The comp is actually brutal if people can play their heroes well. The ultimate glass cannon and you know you’ve lost to those high dps comps before. When played well you can hit a team so hard they get spawn camped.

So there’s that vs role lock Rein that stands there with his shield up and cries dps diff when nothing dies. THOSE games are FAR more unwinnable. The only thing that made high dps comps unwinnable is peoples mental falling to $#*t.

No, we’re here now with trash matchmaking because of that. OW2 season 1 had the same queue time problems role lock has always had, cause 5v5 actually did nothing to lower queue times. So they destroyed matchmaking in season 2 to give everyone 1 minute queue times.

5 Likes

i agree with you people assume tanks have been broken when its really quite the opposite usually the broken dps/supports that enable the tanks, tanks werent vocal like dps/supports and it seems that over the years the game was slowly just catered to dps/supp

only tank ive ever disliked is sigma and simply because he is just a do it all with no drawbacks

i was a dva zar player and sig if i was forced and all my main tank friends simply just dont enjoy tanking anymore only thing they find fun is ironically doom since he has a lot more flexibility compared to a traditional tank like rein who is unable and orisa who is just boring

4 Likes

There is a solution, but players really wouldn’t like it because it comes at a cost.

If they severely reduce Overwatch’s counterplay (basically reducing the unique interactions the game has), every tank will always be viable, and then there will be no more rock-paper-scissor gameplay. There’s your balanced solution.

I’d rather they just go back to 6 vs. 6 and make the main gamemode OQ, though. I’ll take wacky team compositions over 5 vs. 5 any day of the week at this point. Lol

6 Likes