"6v6 was the issue nobody played tank"

5v5 did lower queue times the devs directly said so

1 Like

I don’t think that balancing tank in 5v5 is any harder than it was in 6v6. If anything, tank balance has been better in Overwatch 2, much better even. We’ve had much more meta diversity in 5v5 with tanks. Even now tank is the role with the least hard meta.

The problem with tanks is counter swapping which isn’t actually a balance issue. It’s a hero design issue. Take D.Va for example. Give her a way to deal with beams and counter swapping becomes much harder. There’s solutions for many tanks to improve their lives in a similar way. It’s totally doable. I can think of easy solutions for Rein, Winton, Hog, and D.Va off the top of my head.

3 Likes

I want them to try out a role limit system so that we can get matchmaking that isn’t hamstrung by needing to find actual tanks, but there’s still some system in place to prevent tank stacking. Which would help against tanks not inevitably getting gutted when they upset certain players.

People would have to put up with filling or going 0-4-2/0-3-2 comps again, but at this point I’m willing to try that if it means better matched games in general.

It’s strange to me that their balance changes to D.Va always seem to be along the lines of D.Va is now 5% rockier when everyone seems to acknowledge that it kinda sucks for D.Va to fight paper. Why not give D.Va a Nem Block kind of mechanic while DM is active to mitigate against all types of damage to an extent? It’d seem to me to be a matter of finding the right value more than anything. Weird that they don’t do that.

1 Like

If we went back to 6v6, they’d need to implement hard role lock vs role queue. 2 of each role required, last to pick has to play tank. Stiff leaver penalties. It would be the only way.

Yeah, I don’t understand it either. I talked with about it with DMonDiff. There’s at least 2 solutions.

The one DMon preferred was just to give passive damage resistance to beam weapons in mech, maybe 50% so it’s greater than armor. But the number could be tweaked. They painted it with a nice reflective clear coat or something.

An idea I had was forward facing personal shield when DM is active. It would block 100% beam damage but only in the front, only for D.Va, and only while DM is active.

Why they don’t figure it out, that I don’t understand.

1 Like

Are you talking about that thing GreyFalcon was pushing?

I think players could choose:

2 max tanks
5 max DPS
2 max support

I forget the exact number that was used, but I do like this idea a lot. :+1:

I doubt we’ll see it tested, though, they seem to be too busy testing impractical stuff like no limits in Quickplay. :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

The problem with that idea is it really should just force 2/2/2. Max 2, min 2 for each role. If you really want something pick fast.

So just 6 vs. 6… Lmfao

:joy:

Well the problem with 6v6 was queue times. This solves that. But it would mean a lot of people playing tank that really didn’t want to.

So IMO the options are 5v5 or forced tank participation.

Tank conscription LOL!

We actually had a short period of time with 2-2-2 role limits in QP. It was back when they put RQ into Comp but not QP and they screwed it up. It didn’t go down well at all and resulted in a lot of people who were last to pick either throwing as tank or outright leaving, getting a backfill who also didn’t want to play tank, leave, etc.

There’d need to be an unlimited number of DPS slots to avoid that happening imo. We’d go back to Hanzo spamming “222! 222!” in chat all game long, but if it means better quality games on the whole then I will try and put up with all of the stupid OQ crap.

Yeah, pretty much. I’m not sold on making it two tanks instead of one because I haven’t forgotten Orisa getting gutted because of Sigma existing, and I can see exactly the same thing happening to Ram, but I’d give the mode a try either way.

I refuse to ever play another match with 3 or more DPS. It’s why I won’t play open queue. If they ever did that, I’d quit, instantly.

1 Like

Well, that’s fair enough. Personally, I don’t feel like it’s much different to having Hog or Ball on side, and in today’s world that’d probably extend to Doom, JQ and Mauga too. I feel like I’ve been solotanking for far, far longer than OW2.

lmao not sure if trolling or not. Too many shills on here that actually think the devs never lie.

2 Likes

Exactly! Overwatch by its very concept with each hero having unique abilities and playstyles and utilities just can’t be balanced. Tanks (or any character) can’t be made equal. In a 1v1 some hero will always have a little advantage over the other, and forcing tanks into a 1v1 with the teamcomp just exxegerates the problem.

And same, loved Overwatch way better when the main gamemode was OQ, it was so lighthearted and wacky. I even remember some funny friendly moments, where people just stopped playing the objective and showed off emotes and helped eachother get achievements. Haven’t seen that since role-que became a thing.

Again, people not wanting to play something isn’t a reason to change its balance. Not to say it was balanced back in 6v6, but peoples lack of interest in playing tank doesn’t mean anything in regards to balance and changing the balance to get more people to play the tank role is incredibly dumb thinking.

There is a more fundamental problem with the game if nobody wants to play it.

They didn’t lie im this case. Source my own eyes. I’ve been playing for 8 years. I remember the queue times from before. These are faster than that. It’s very noticable.

2 Likes

Please stop spreading this lie.
This is simply not true, never was.

When ONE of your tanks was slacking, and specially the enemy Tanks were not, the difference was not as apparent, but it was unsustainable.

2 good Tanks would win EVERY single match vs 1 good tank + 1 bad tank. You cant “pick up the slack”, unless that means that you had 2 insanely good players (better than the enemy mirror) in your team, that could “carry” ultra hard …

… and in that case, that would be the reason you would win. Not because you could “pick up the slack” just because you had 2 tanks instead of 1.

5v5 is faster and less forgiving, so people “see” the diff way more. Doesn’t mean it didn’t exist before. Before it was even worse, because just 2 tanks with decent synergy vs 2 good tank players with ZERO synergy … would still win against them.

2 Likes

Clearly you don’t because for half of that time there was no RQ. Tanks were hard nerfed before RQ to kill 3-3 then when RQ rolled around that didn’t change.

There has never been a moment in RQ where tanks were strong, which is why double shield even became a thing in the first place (and Sigma being broken, but that’s beside the point).

Lol way to go OP you just tried to rewrite history and failed

6v6 had lots of issues and yes the tank shortage was one of them

1 Like

Your eyes don’t tell you WHAT caused the queue times to shorten. And try using your eyes to look at ow2 season 1 queue times that were just as bad as ow1 and that was with 35 million players at the time. If 5v5 shortened queue times, we would have seen it in season 1, but we didn’t. We only saw it from season 2 and on when suddenly matchmaking turned to crap.

3 Likes

It’s weird because it got to the point where people came with a specific acronym for those occasions where a tank couldn’t cut it. “MTD” was real, it existed, and it was a phrase that got wheeled out a lot, rightly or wrongly.

Back in season one, it was supports that took over the shortest queue time. We did see an improvement in tank queue times at first. It dropped off as time went on, but it happened.

3 Likes