32:9 Aspect Ratio?

Skyrim has it, other super old games have it… Why is this something we have to request at the end of 2018?!

EDIT: Don’t move the topic to “General Discussion” - this is a technical issue - a modern game should support ultrawide resolutions and aspect ratios.

1 Like

Ow doesn’t even support 21:9.
I wouldn’t expect it to get support for anything soon.
For some reason the devs seem to think it’s unfair.

It does. I used to play on 21:9 (unless it’s a fake one where the image is stretched, but it does say “21:9”
And it’s not unfair. That’s nonsense and a cheap excuse not to put some work into the game.

21:9 in OW is cut off at the tops and bottoms to make it 21:9.

But screw all that. Just give me VR support.

1 Like

How can it be so hard to implement it?!
It’s just a lame excuse - if you worry about it being unfair - make it so that it doesn’t work for competitive!
So stupid.

Currently I am forced to play at a fake 21:9 with 2 huge black bars… It looks terrible, since my screen is 32:9

I also don’t see the unfair problem.
If it was, what about people who still use 4:3?
And what about fps, input lag, etc?

2 Likes

There you have it - a smart point which demolishes Blizzard’s nonsense.
I guess it’s more important to invest time and resources into crappy mobile games now, than into making sure that Overwatch isn’t behind Skyrim and other even older games technically speaking. It’s proposterous.

Stop inventing excuses and get to work!

Seeing more of the battlefield is absolutely, unequivocally an advantage in a game like Overwatch. I have no idea how anyone cannot recognize that. People with 16:10 or 4:3 deal with black bars or stretch. So can you. Everyone gets to see the same FOV to make the game fair.

If you want to see less FOV and have cropping, that’s up to you.

It’s not like it would normally be difficult to implement.
But seeing as it’s their own “new” engine, there might be some difficulty in rendering a 21:9 or 32:9 image?

But why should people playing on 21:9 and larger get a disadvantage?

Umm… methinks it has something to do with “do we really need it?”

A question which does not apply to Bethesda games… I mean, does anything apply to Bethesda games these days? The modders seem to work harder than the developers.

So there’s that…

You don’t. You see the same FOV as everyone else. Is there no option to have black bars on the sides? I have black bars at the top and bottom.

2 Likes

They already said that it would give those people a wider view and able to see more of the playing field than others. They said they have no plans to add that support.

Hare, the maps are designed in such a way that it almost never gives an advantage. They simply aren’t wide enough for that. How do you explain the fact that there is a 16:10 resolution then? You do know that it shows more than 4:3, right? Based on that line of thinking, the game should only exist in 4:3 period. Check out Battlefield 1 (or most other games for that matter). Huge maps - where wider field of view is actually extremely important and they have aspects such as 32:9 - have you ever heard anyone talk about how much of a problem that is? No? Here’s why - because it simply isn’t a problem. Your point of view is not good.
As I have stated - if this is such a huge fear, you can always forbid it when playing competitive or in any tournaments. But then you would have to forbid 16:10 as well and I don’t see that happening…

With black bars, yes.
But this cause problems for the monitor sometimes.

There is not. I have a 16:10 monitor. I either have black bars at the top and the bottom, or it stretches. I don’t get to see more FOV than 16:9.

It’s not like you can’t use your monitor…

You just don’t get an advantage over others.

Again - I’ve explained how the maps are small and not open enough to really give you an advantage if you enable better aspect ratios. I have also explained how games with much larger maps have such ratios and it’s not an issue whatsoever. Your point (and that of blizzard) doesn’t hold water. I am not going to become a better player if I get to see the walls more on each side. My aim won’t improve, etc. This is simply a cheap excuse. It’s been proven by superior games. Higher aspect ratios don’t tip the scales of balance.

So seeing that Widow that snuck around on Junkertown to be 90 degrees offset of your view and out of a 16:9 FOV but IN YOUR FOV on 32:9 is totally fair? The 16:9 player dies and you catch the widow on the edge of your screen and duck. Totally fair, right?

Just as an example of how lazy blizzard are - you can’t get these ratios on heroes of the storm as well. Would there be too much of an advantage? What about heartsone? Why not there? You’d see too much of the board?
It doesn’t take too much thinking to realize that the problem has nothing to do with balance. And if it did, then the aspect ratios would be the least of their problem… I bet the word “balance” is a running gag at their headquarters.

Go on Destiny and try playing on 32:9 - that game has it, although it is supposedly an unfair advantage. You will quickly realize that it barely matters in terms of how much you can perceive. You simply have a limit on how much you can recognize with your peripheral vision. Again - this is the reason why superior games to Overwatch (such as Battlefield) support it without even mentioning any worries of it being unfair. And again - what about those other games where it is not supported? Why not there? Also unfair? (I mean hots, heartstone)
They refuse to satisfy a small part of their customers and feed you a nice lie about how they worry that it would be unfair towards you. So now you have been fooled into defending their laziness, because the lie sounds plausible before you look around or try it for yourself.

Also - why was this moved to “General Discussion”?! This is a strictly technical issue with the game. Some moderator needs training…

Not everybody would have a 21:9 and people that have 16:9 would be at a disadvantage. Not everybody has a lot of money lol.