2024 OWCS Major - Day 3 - FINAL

NOTE: This thread may contain discussion of OWCS and it’s now-defunct predecessor OWL. It is therefore advised that those who may be sensitive to such content, or to discussion about Overwatch as a whole, go try French opera instead.

Hello, everyone, and welcome to Day 3, THE FINAL DAY, of the 2024 Overwatch Championship Series Major, LIVE FROM THE DREAMHACK FESTIVAL IN DALLAS, TEXAS! After yesterday proved a triumph for APAC (who have dominated the upper bracket) and a massive disappointment for fans of North America (with Toronto Defiant and M80 being eliminated from DreamHack Dallas causing OW Esports social media to rebrand NA as “Nearest Airport”)…today we crown a champion. We started with 8, now we’re down to 4 - but only ONE will be crowned the inaugural OWCS Major champion!

To kick off today’s action, it’s the Lower Semifinal. More accurately, it’s an all-EMEA Lower Semifinal, as Spacestation Gaming (EMEA1) matches up against ENCE (EMEA2). The winner advances to the Lower Final. The loser is eliminated from the OWCS Major.

Then, it’s the Upper Final, as Crazy Raccoon (APAC1) battles Team Falcons (APAC2) in the 3rd rematch of these 2 teams thus far this year. The winner advances to the Grand Finals. The loser drops to the Lower Final to face the winner of the Lower Semifinal. Whoever wins the Lower Final will then join our Upper Final winner in a First-to-4 Grand Finals for the right to be called OWCS Major champion.

4 teams enter Championship Sunday, only 1 will be leaving DreamHack Dallas as the 2024 OWCS Major champion. Will it be Crazy Raccoon or Team Falcons that comes out a champion in this fast-growing APAC rivalry? Or will Europe get the surprise last laugh and snatch the trophy away? We’re about to find out, so grab your leftover Sunday pancake stack and your coffee, and prepare to see a champion crowned before your very eyes. The concluding act of the 2024 OWCS Major…starts…NOW!

ASHE SKIN HEADS UP: I am currently tracking several reports that folks who have accrued 12 hours watch progress, and as a result have earned and/or claimed all possible rewards, are waiting longer than usual to receive one or both of the OWCS Home and Away Ashe skins. As of 1115am EDT today, the Ashe skins are still eventually showing up despite the longer wait time - however, I am ready to raise an alarm at a moment’s notice if necessary. As always, please do not hesitate to utilize either this thread, or Merchenary’s thread - which is linked below - or even Twitch/YT chat to let me, and others, know if you are seeing anything out of the ordinary with drops. I cannot promise an individual response, but rest assured I am at least reading what you are posting.

DROPS REMINDER: With 12 hours of rewards available, if you are just now tuning in and have no prior watch progress, you will not be able to grab all the possible rewards - however, you should still be able to get some of the rewards, so don’t get discouraged - something is better than nothing. If you began watching yesterday (assuming you tuned in at broadcast start and watched the entire broadcast), you should be at or close to 7-8 hours watched and should be able to get the remaining 4 or 5 hours of rewards today. If you were watching since Day 1, you should have all 12 hours watched by now. As always, please speak up if you are having issues - the sooner you say something, the more rewards we can possibly salvage. And remember, Twitch users: once the closing ceremonies of DreamHack Dallas wrap up and the doors to the convention hall are shut, any drops left unclaimed will be forfeited to make room for a new drops campaign in support of a (non-OWCS) related event next weekend - so don’t forget to claim them!

A FINAL NOTE: I understand that the ongoing questionable state Overwatch 2 is in, the kids getting out of school for the summer, along with recent non-Overwatch related world news, will more than likely make this week’s threads from Sunday’s finest - very, very interesting indeed. HOWEVER, even if it’s a new era of OW Esports, my match discussion thread rules have not changed - as such, posts that are clearly meant to hijack the discussion, ridicule others, or otherwise ruin the thread will not be tolerated and will be flagged for moderator attention. As always, thank you in advance and whether you’re watching from home, on the go, or from DreamHack Dallas, ENJOY THE CONCLUSION TO THE 2024 OWCS MAJOR!

2:08PM EDT UPDATE - Match 1 (Lower Semifinal) is in the books, with Spacestation Gaming eliminating ENCE by a verdict of 3-1. Crazy Raccoon vs. Team Falcons is in progress right now. There is some ongoing audio issues with at least one of the observers (who spectate the match and provide the in-game camera angles you see on stream) - I, and Twitch chat, are doing our best to raise the alarm. Headphone users and max volume enthusiasts beware!

2:42PM EDT UPDATE - The Upper Final between Crazy Raccoon and Team Falcons is currently tied 1-1. Midtown is in progress. In addition to the ongoing audio issues - which have still not been resolved - I am now receiving reports that some of those trying to earn their last few hours of rewards are having issues accruing watch progress at the moment. I am about to raise the alarm at BlizzardCS and OW Esports for both problems - I will update ASAP.

3:35pm EDT UPDATE: After Crazy Raccoon and Team Falcons possibly gave us an early preview of tonight’s First-to-4 Grand Finals with a 5-map barnburner of a match that may or may not cause a shortage of aspirin in Dallas, Team Falcons books their spot in the 2024 OWCS Major Grand Finals with a 3-2 decision over Crazy Raccoon. If Crazy Raccoon wants the rematch in Grand Finals, though, they’ll need to defeat the last stand of the EMEA region, Spacestation Gaming, in the First-to-3 Lower Final, which is coming up next.
More importantly, the audio and rewards issues appear to be fixed - for now. As always, please don’t hesitate to speak up if y’all see anything else.

4:15pm EDT UPDATE: Crazy Raccoon made quick work of SSG on Ilios and take a quick 1-0 lead in the Lower Final. Sadly, the audio issues one of the OWCS observers has been dealing with since the start of today has reached a level of stubbornness rivaling that of the chipmunks that have been tearing up my backyard since April. While rewards issues appear to have mostly been fixed - headphone users and max volume enthusiasts should remain cautious with the stream until further notice.

4:50PM EDT UPDATE: Crazy Raccoon quickly tosses SSG out of DreamHack Dallas in a very clinical 3-0 match, consequently eliminating EU from the 2024 OWCS Major and setting up a First-to-4 Grand Finals rematch with Team Falcons, which is coming up SHORTLY! I recommend using this brief downtime to grab some aspirin and make sure you’re sitting comfortably (i.e. not too close to the edge of your chair).
Also, if you are having any issues with drops still, NOW IS THE TIME to speak up. Once Map 1 concludes, it may be too late to try and troubleshoot any issues in time to salvage any last-minute drops you may be trying to get.

5:30PM EDT UPDATE: Grand Finals are now underway - unfortunately, Proper’s mouse appears to have chosen a poor time to glitch out, as we are now at a second straight pause due to the star of Team Falcons being unable to utilize his mouse - which as one can imagine, makes playing Overwatch on a PC VERY difficult.

6:01PM EDT UPDATE: The Son of the Unkoe Pause, the Proper Pause, is now dealt with. Restarting from the top. And now, let’s sit back, relax, and enjoy Take 2 of the 2024 OWCS Major Grand Finals between Team Falcons and Crazy Raccoon.

7:18PM EDT UPDATE: Crazy Raccoon is currently on 2024 OWCS MAJOR TOURNAMENT POINT, as they lead 3-1 in the First-to-4 series against Team Falcons. Will Team Falcons be able to complete an epic comeback? To do so, they’ll have to win 3 consecutive maps, starting with King’s Row. You may only have a few more minutes to snag any last-minute drops - so if you need only a couple more minutes for one last drop claim, NOW IS THE TIME! GET IN HERE!

1 Like

Watching even after my drops are done.

Hopium that their skills will rub off on me.

CRAZY RACCOONS WILL BE YOUR INAUGURAL OWCS MAJOR CHAMPIONS! After 3 days of insanity, ranging from the surprising (SOG becoming NRG Shock), to the incredible (an all APAC upper final and an all-APAC Grand Finals, the former being a 5-map barnburner and the latter coming THIIIIS close to a 7-map barnburner) to the downright strange (starting off the weekend with The Great DreamHack pause, and ending with “The Proper Pause, aka The Son of the Unkoe Pause” at the start of the Grand Finals) Crazy Raccoons takes the Grand Finals in a 6-map thriller with a 4-2 victory over Team Falcons to close out DreamHack Dallas and become the 2024 OWCS Dallas Major champions. Congrats to Crazy Raccoons!

Thank you to all of you who participated in the match discussion threads over the past 3 days, and a huge thank you to ALL of the forum community for your patience - not just with the streams, but for your continued tolerance of the few OW Esports fans who remain on these forums. Be sure to keep eyes on Merchenary’s OWCS Rewards thread and follow OW Esports on social media so you can stay current on both the match schedule and future drops. And speaking of drops, make sure you claim any drops you’ve earned over the course of the weekend in the next 30 minutes - any drops left unclaimed at 9pm EDT TONIGHT will be forfeited and will be gone for good. DON’T BE THAT GUY who forgets to claim the rewards.

I hope everyone is able to finish off Season 10 of OW2 on a strong note and hope y’all have a wonderful start to the summer! I’ll be back before the second half of the 2024 OWCS season kicks off with a news/standings update. In the meantime, the Radiant Song calls me away from Future Earth as beta testing is set to start this week inside the world of Azeroth (literally), so enjoy these next couple weeks or so without your humble servant - though I doubt anyone will miss me. Until we meet again, I’m Arena25, saying Good Night, and Charlie Niners.