1v4v1 instead of 2v2v2

I honestly wish they would try this. I feel like it would be more fun.
Tanks and support would be able to hold their more unique kits without them being burned away by nerfs and removals and they can feel more impactful.

2 Likes

2v3v1 or 1v3v2… your math is wrong

What do you mean? Every game is 1 vs 3, 1 v 4, or 1 vs 6.

Unless they’re going for 5v5 instead of 6v6. I think that’d be really interesting to try.

1 Like

there is no way for 1 healer (such as ana/mercy/zen) to be able to heal 4 different people

aoe healers will always be better, and these three healers are not aoe in nature

it’s a whole different game

4 Likes

basically the world of warcraft formula for dungeons 1 tank 3 dps 1 heal. unless of course he didnt add right…

i know the engine cant handle it and the maps arent big enough but dam i would love a 10 v 10 raid type of mode. they could call it big team battle

You know as well as I do that they wouldn’t anyway.

you’d have to rework so much of the game to accomodate for 1-3-1 (i think you mean 5v5), to the point it would create more problems than it fixes

5 player matches would definately be interesting.

With 12 players all lots of different abilities, it becomes too chaotic IMO. My only worry is that the lone support would get assaulted and picked out by the enemy like crazy as they would become the most important target by a longshot.

Such as … ?

When 3DPS comps were a thing, AOE healers like Lucio & Moira were pretty useless. People in these comps were often very spread out to hold different sightlines and heroes like Mercy & Zen thrived due to their damage buffs & ability to pocket aggressive players.

for once, you’d have to rework pretty much all tanks and healers so they can work solo. And you’d have to generally rebalance the entire roster on top of that.
Plus, rebalance all modes so they actually take into account havin 2 less players.
All of this to solve what exactly?

1 Like

Solo healing would absolutely brutalize Supports and their capacity for unique kits.

They’d have to all have Mass/Moth Mercy level healing ability, consistency, and survivibility, and unique utility would cause massive balance issues within the role. The necessary homogenization would be extreme and suck more than a small amount of fun out of the role.

Same deal with Tanks. As nice as the raid boss part might be, you’d have a hell of a time balancing someone like Zarya as a solo tank without butchering her.

Considering they’re updating the engine anyway, if they were going to change team size/role distribution, 2/3/2 would be the way to go.

4 Likes

2-2-2 is like the automobile; for decades people ranted against it, but the simple fact was there really was no good alternative that people liked.

LOL i did this before i slept. Fixed it

1v4v1

for all of those saying healers and tanks won’t be able to keep up.
They will. With the right buffs and changes, they willl be strong enough to keep up and feel more impactful.
reworks basicallly

Reworking half the heroes in the game is unreasonable. Also would kill uniqueness of heroes due to the required solo healing/tanking abilities tanks and healers would need to deal with 4 dps without support.

they actually tried this once, this what they had to say on it

“The playtests under a 4-1-1 comp were terrible. The problem was the solo support. As a solo support, you felt unable to keep the rest of the team alive. Added to that, at all times, you had 5 very aggressive players prioritizing you as the target every time. As soon as the support player on one side died, the entire team would fall like a house of cards.”

Source: Blizzard save your game! go 1/3/2 - #100 by JeffreyKaplan

Thats why you do proper reworks.

And thats why you hire the proper staff to develop your game. Don’t be wow and have the same two devs for all class design, spec design and pvp design.

Proper balance cahnges and reworks will work out.

Given they tried proper reworks while they were internally testing 1 3 2 I would assume they did the same with 1 4 1 and still encountered the problems

You realize that many reworks could take upwards of 4 years. And that’s assuming they nail every reworks which, let’s be honest if sym and bastion are anything to go by, that isn’t likely.